• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Accident involving a teen-age bicyclist

This is one that had me scratching my head.  On Tuesday of this week, I left my kids swim facility and turned out onto the main avenue.  There was not much traffic and very little pedestrian traffic either.  As I started to accelerate going westbound, I noticed 3 teenage boys riding their bikes on the sidewalk eastbound.  Roughly 25 yards prior to reaching them, one of the boys bunny hopped off of the sidewalk into the bike lane adjacent to my lane.  He kinda had a mischievous look on his face, smiling at his buddies.  Just as I was passing him, he rode close to my car and kicked his back tire into my car.  Unfortunately for him, his tire struck my front right tire and the impact sent him for a loop (I guess since I didn't actually see that part).

I had a kind of "what the f*ck" moment and then stopped my car.  My wife got out to see if there was any damage to our car (there wasn't a spec) and noticed the kid off of his bike and walking around with his hand near his mouth.  His two buddies were laughing at him.  My wife, who is a RN, approached him to ask him why he did that and to check his physical status.  This kid's hand had ballooned up and he had blood streaming from his mouth.  Apparently, whatever the force did to him caused him to knock out a couple of teeth and maybe break his hand.  Try explaining that one to the Sheriffs!

Edited by HaloMichaelBolton

Probably would have been less of a hassle if you just backed up and finished him off.  

In all seriousness your story and mention of the kid smiling before he did it reminded me of the internet video some years back where a kid was hanging out the back of an SUV smacking younger kids on the back of the head who were riding bikes home.  Him and his friends were laughing it up until he did a face plant into a parked car while going about 20-30 mph.  The driver got too close to parked cars and the kid didn't get back into the car quick enough in their attempt to smack a kid on a bike. 

Good luck.  

Probably would have been less of a hassle if you just backed up and finished him off.  

In all seriousness your story and mention of the kid smiling before he did it reminded me of the internet video some years back where a kid was hanging out the back of an SUV smacking younger kids on the back of the head who were riding bikes home.  Him and his friends were laughing it up until he did a face plant into a parked car while going about 20-30 mph.  The driver got too close to parked cars and the kid didn't get back into the car quick enough in their attempt to smack a kid on a bike. 

Good luck.  

That video was awesome.  

Yeah, not sure if this is a pattern of stupid choices by this kid or just one really bad choice.  His mom showed up and was pretty upset, dad showed up after but just spoke with the sheriff at the scene and left.  I know what happened and in a perfect world that would comfort me.  The nice thing about the truth is that you don't have to remember what you've stated before.  This kids story may change, although the story that was told by the kids buddies backed up mine for the most part.  My wife is pretty worried and probably will be until we hear something promising from the insurance company.

• 2 weeks later...

Insurance wanted to talk with my wife so she called them this morning. Just wanted her version of the incident. She got an update though: kid fractured his nose in addition to the teeth and hand injuries. He is stating that his bike "slipped" out from under him. Insurance is taking my "no fault" stance but contacted this kids father. Insurance asked the dad how he would like to see things handled. He says he wants my insurer to pay for medical bills. My insurer says "Why, it's your kids fault?" Maybe he's fishing. Looks like we have $10k of no fault coverage that my insurance may throw their way but we made it clear we don't support the move. Insurance says it wouldn't affect us but I'm not happy with it on principal. Apparently the other party hasn't taken the kid to anyone about the teeth other than the e.r. visit.