• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia: Leading the Angels from the Front

Is this the same manager that most of us wanted fired all of last year? What exactly changed?

New season. New outlook. New attitude.

It's time that not only the manager and players turn the page from 2013, but also the fans.

New season. New outlook. New attitude.

It's time that not only the manager and players turn the page from 2013, but also the fans.

Yep. I think this is a make-or-break year for Sosh. With the new attitude and the new sense of urgency in the players and coaches, if the Angels don't manage to win I'm guessing there will be some serious changes.

But let us hope Mike doesn't have to get fired. I want to see meaningful October baseball again. 4 years seems like an eternity in baseball.

It seems to me that these are things that many of us have pointed out for a while now, and have been vilified for doing so.

A sense of "urgency" early in the season.

Scioscia getting in a little better shape, and leading by example.

More concentration on fundamentals drills.

Keeping and playing players for what they actually do, and not for some intangibles they supposedly posses.

It has been pointed out that his team lacked fire, ability to come back if they fall behind, and has been way too willing to simply "turn the page"

These are now touted as a  "new attitude" and while that is great, it shows that these WERE issues, and not just something that some of us somehow "needed" to bitch about.  If these changes are something that they expect to work such wonders,  why weren't they implemented 3 years ago? I know this is intended to be a feel good article,  but at the same time, I think the frustration and skepticism being expressed here are valid.

Edited by Homebrewer

It seems to me that these are things that many of us have pointed out for a while now, and have been vilified for doing so.

Keeping and playing players for what they actually do, and not for some intangibles they supposedly posses.

It has been pointed out that his team lacked fire, ability to come back if they fall behind, and has been way too willing to simply "turn the page"

These are now touted as a  "new attitude" and while that is great, it shows that these WERE issues, and not just something that some of us somehow "needed" to bitch about.  If these changes are something that they expect to work such wonders,  why weren't they implemented 3 years ago? I know this is intended to be a feel good article,  but at the same time, I think the frustration and skepticism being expressed here are valid.

Absolutely. The skepticism is completely justified and I certainly sympathize with it. That said, we as fans tend to look at the past more than the present. 2014 is a new year, and anything can happen. When the Angels start sucking I'll be there venting and throwing tantrums with everyone else but right now the only thing we have to be negative about the 2014 season is based on the past.

Absolutely. The skepticism is completely justified and I certainly sympathize with it. That said, we as fans tend to look at the past more than the present. 2014 is a new year, and anything can happen. When the Angels start sucking I'll be there venting and throwing tantrums with everyone else but right now the only thing we have to be negative about the 2014 season is based on the past.

Personally I am very encouraged with everything I have seen and heard this spring. I'm pumped to get it going and see how it all translates to real games.

After the last few years (not just last year but the last 3 or 4) there are certainly some lingering doubts deep in my psyche, as I am sure there are in others. Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it, and all that.

Don't get comfortable with the way the floor has been open to throw tantrums or troll your agenda's (i.e, Pujols, Scioscia, Dipoto hate etc.) going forward. Things are changing around here.

We will be announcing the new and improved AngelsWin.com experience soon. It is our desire to create a better environment for everyone here, not just for you to bitch and moan. I don't mind ranting and voicing strong opinions, we've always accepted that here. The shoutbox was designed for rants but was rarely used and the board was flooded with non-stop complaints and regurgitated hyperbole.

But I've heard enough from longstanding members of this forum over the past few years that they don't post in the main forum anymore due to the negativity and constant trolling on certain players/coaches/manager..

I've basically come to a point, and not just me, my Mods too, where if you don't like the new rules that will be enforced going forward you can leave. There's always Facebook, Twitter or another Angels Blog you can post on.

Less is of the negativity is more and there's others dying to post again after the negative opinion and voice goes away. I'm not talking about normal groaning and moaning when Jepsen leaves a ball up on an 0-2 count with 2 outs and runners on base, every fan will raise their voices in frustration over that. I'm talking about the daily ripping, hell vilifying on Scioscia, Pujols, Dipoto etc. win or lose. It is called trolling which is against our code of conduct that I have let slide for far too long. The result is a negative tone that has been established here that most of our members and lurkers are sick of. I know, I get the PM's and emails.

Oh and most of these people that are the detractors of the Angels or certain players/managers never show up at our events, never give to our charities or even send a thank you note for the free website and service we provide for you all.

Lastly, while it hasn't helped that the team has missed the playoffs the past four years, I never in my life have seen so much crying and negativity as I have the past two years. I've been a fan since '79 so I endured the worst of consecutive seasons, yet I still went to the games, still hoped for wins and never went on and on about the same things that some of you go off on on a regular basis.

It only got vilified because people were tired of hearing the same crap in EVERY thread. People agreed to it to a point, but the constant bashing was excessive. Not to mention it creeped itself in threads that started with a completely different topic. There is a fine line between criticism (deservedly so) and trolling/hijacking threads.

It only got vilified because people were tired of hearing the same crap in EVERY thread. People agreed to it to a point, but the constant bashing was excessive. Not to mention it creeped itself in threads that started with a completely different topic. There is a fine line between criticism (deservedly so) and trolling/hijacking threads.

I don't deserve to be singled out here. I've been almost gushingly positive this spring.

Believe me you are not being singled out, maybe here, but you are not the only one being talked to.

If I am being "talked to" for my attitude this spring, or  what I have posted recently, then I may as well hang up my keyboard.

And if anyone needs talking to, there is a PM feature here.

Calling people out in the open forum is chicken shit.

If I am being "talked to" for my attitude this spring, or  what I have posted recently, then I may as well hang up my keyboard.

And if anyone needs talking to, there is a PM feature here.

Calling people out in the open forum is chicken shit.

It's not you, it's a good majority that need a talking to. Oh and I haven't seen much negativity from you in a while so I wasn't even singling you out.

Don't get comfortable with the way the floor has been open to throw tantrums or troll your agenda's (i.e, Pujols, Scioscia, Dipoto hate etc.) going forward. Things are changing around here.

We will be announcing the new and improved AngelsWin.com experience soon. It is our desire to create a better environment for everyone here, not just for you to bitch and moan. I don't mind ranting and voicing strong opinions, we've always accepted that here. The shoutbox was designed for rants but was rarely used and the board was flooded with non-stop complaints and regurgitated hyperbole.

But I've heard enough from longstanding members of this forum over the past few years that they don't post in the main forum anymore due to the negativity and constant trolling on certain players/coaches/manager..

I've basically come to a point, and not just me, my Mods too, where if you don't like the new rules that will be enforced going forward you can leave. There's always Facebook, Twitter or another Angels Blog you can post on.

Less is of the negativity is more and there's others dying to post again after the negative opinion and voice goes away. I'm not talking about normal groaning and moaning when Jepsen leaves a ball up on an 0-2 count with 2 outs and runners on base, every fan will raise their voices in frustration over that. I'm talking about the daily ripping, hell vilifying on Scioscia, Pujols, Dipoto etc. win or lose. It is called trolling which is against our code of conduct that I have let slide for far too long. The result is a negative tone that has been established here that most of our members and lurkers are sick of. I know, I get the PM's and emails.

Oh and most of these people that are the detractors of the Angels or certain players/managers never show up at our events, never give to our charities or even send a thank you note for the free website and service we provide for you all.

Lastly, while it hasn't helped that the team has missed the playoffs the past four years, I never in my life have seen so much crying and negativity as I have the past two years. I've been a fan since '79 so I endured the worst of consecutive seasons, yet I still went to the games, still hoped for wins and never went on and on about the same things that some of you go off on on a regular basis.

Chuck, it's different expectations now.  When I was a kid and first got into the Angels, I was shocked we even made the playoffs in 2002.  I'm sure the tone of this forum would be different if it existed in the 90's-2002 when it comes to losing seasons.  But even as Arte says in the press, he expects this team to make the playoffs every year.  I root for the Angels and hope for the best every year and will watch no matter what, but missing the playoffs 4 years straight with this payroll is unacceptable and with the high prices we pay to go to each game and pay for parking, you're going to see people discuss their issues with the team and the product that we're invested in financially and emotionally.

Listen to WFAN in New York or go on a Red Sox/Yankees fan site during a season where they miss the playoffs (I have, for the shits and giggles), I hold the Angels as in the same league as teams like that not midlevel organazations.  When the team is losing and missing the playoffs, we try to have as much fun as we can on here with sarcasm/roleplaying since there isn't too much to get excited about on the field.  It's just a game afterall.  I've tried to tone down some of the more personal stuff and keep it between the lines over the last year or so, but you're not going to get too much ra-ra for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in this decade.  I've been watching the spring training games and can't wait for the regular season to start.  I'll be rooting for my Halos to get back to the postseason, but my expectations are very reserved.  Hopefully they win though this year and we have good stuff to talk about.

Also when it comes to the site, I've always supported it and the progress it makes.  I'd love to go to one of the events and even wanted to last year but I had a conflict that day.

I'm all for more optimism and positivity.

Too often do we get caught up as a society in overemphasizing the negative and belittling the positive.

I honestly believe that positive thinking breeds positive environments. And positive environments lead to success. I'm not saying that we can affect the outcome on the field, but we can let the positivity affect our own lives and maybe we'd be a better society because of it.

Too often do we get caught up as a society in overemphasizing the negative and belittling the positive.

I honestly believe that positive thinking breeds positive environments. And positive environments lead to success. I'm not saying that we can affect the outcome on the field, but we can let the positivity affect our own lives and maybe we'd be a better society because of it.

Hubs, no question about it. I can't claim to not have participated in negativity, which my fellow long-term posters here can attest to,  but you make some very good points. IMO, it is fine to vent, question, and even criticize - but that has to be balanced and fair. One needs also to remember and give due to that what is good, worthy of praise, and in the end temper life with the needle on the positive side of the spectrum.

I agree when it comes to careers in general/playing baseball, you have to be positive and visualize success.  I don't think us common folk behind the keyboards are going to help our beloved Halos win though.  They'll have to do that on their own.

As long as I can still vent and throw a fit during the game when the Angels are playing like crap, I don't mind the rules being more strict. I don't mind it as much as a lot of other people here do, but I definitely understand how it can be grating. When you have a thread with a positive idea (such as this one) and people are bringing up something else entirely, like Pujols' contract or whatever, then I get that it can be annoying.

If this is a way to censor any and all negativity then I will definitely leave. However I don't think this is the case.

From this point on consider yourself validated for all you've written above. You were absolutely correct.