• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves sign Ervin Santana

I would have been OK if we took Santana as a last ditch effort to patch the leak that is our shallowing pitching staff.

Give up a 1st round draft pick who cares, we've got Trout on the field and need to make the most of his performances as often as we can.

That's a great way for a team with no farm system to operate.

Just give up first round picks for average players. 

That's a great way for a team with no farm system to operate.

Just give up first round picks for average players. 

It's been said before and I tend to believe it: draft picks are a gamble. No need to avoid acquiring what the MLB team needs to be successful just to hold on to a draft pick that may or may not work out, the Angels need to win and we need pitchers that can eat up innings. That should have been the priority the day the 2013 season ended.

Edited by CaliAngel

Sure, they're gambles. So should we just not draft any players then?

The Angels got themselves into their mess by buying players and ignoring the farm system. If they made moves like signing Santana and losing draft picks, they'll end up having an unbelievably bad roster in a few years.

It makes no sense to go "all in" by signing average players and losing picks. Especially when the player is volatile and is a guy we let to for absolutely nothing very recently.

So should we just not draft any players then?

Is this what you got out of my post? That's not what I said at all.

The Angels got themselves into their mess by buying players and ignoring the farm system.

The Angels didn't get into this mess by just "buying players" per se, they got into this mess by continuously jumping the gun to overpay big name players that under perform because they are past their prime. Guys like Matthews Jr, Wells, Pujols, and Hamilton have SCREWED us because they're being paid MILLIONS for pretty much just showing up in uniform. These deals have most of us level headed fans thinking "What the heck are they thinking?" as soon as the deals were announced.

Weaver for a little over $15 mill a season, that's a good buy, and these $15 mill a season arms are the kind of deals the Angels should be looking for.

Sure we let Santana go for nothing, but that doesn't mean it was the right move, and based on the depth of our pitching the last year it's looking more like we sure as hell shouldn't have.

Developing drafted players,specially pitchers, and having them waiting in the minors, allows a team to trade players like Santana a year or two BEFORE they reach FA. That way you get something in return, rather than letting them walk for nothing.

Oak, TB, compete using this formula. The Angels can too.

But you have to draft smartly and develop ML caliber players in the minors.

Can't do that by giving away picks year after year.

Edit, yeah I liked my own post.

Edited by Homebrewer

It's not just losing the first round pick (although that does hurt a team with the lowest-ranked minor league system). It's also losing the draft slot money that goes along with losing the first round pick. Getting the slot money allows the Angels to have more flexibility in the draft. Not having the slot money=no flexibility, which has an effect on the players the Angels can draft (because they can only draft players that will sign for the money they have to offer).