• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Grant Green defense

NrM

well, I don't think Green will get 400 ABs this season........but he could be a very good MIF/ 3B depth guy who can also DH once in a while.......

not sure how his wheels are - but he could probably do some late inning Pinch running as well.

The important thing in addition to being a depth IF guy is that he gives the Halos a bat off the bench in late innings -- something they have not always had in the past.

It's a different approach to MIF depth guy -- the Halos in the past have gone with good D, somewhat light hitting and good speed guys -- a concept I like but then leaves the bench short of a true bat when it might be needed in late innings/ extra inning games.........plus Green is a guy who can fill in at any of the IF position if a regular goes on the DL and you don't lose much, if anything.

I hope Andrew Romine gets traded to an MLB team that can use him as a late inning defensive replacement --most likely an NL team.....he's been up and down with the Halos (I think he's been a September call up the past three seasons or something) and so I'd like to see him make a MLB opening day roster and get some more MLB roster time......if it can't be in Anaheim -- (and Green seems to be coming on and has Romine beat for the MIF bench depth job and is also an up and comer -- could be starting at 2B by season's end or even next year.).....then hopefully Romine can catch on elsewhere as can another ST invitee John McDonald......I don't think McDonald is at a point in his career (yet) where he becomes a 4-A player at SLC........

That Callaspo for Green deal looks like an absolute steal for the Angels. They saved 4 million, and either got their future starting 2B, SS, 3B or super-utility guy with tons of upside with the bat, under control for 6 more years.

Even if The worst case scenario comes true, the Angels got a pinch hitting UT infielder and saved 4 million. There's no way they didn't win that trade, Callaspo wasn't doing anything here and likely would've been pressed for the starting 3B spot by Lucho and Romine. Looks like he won't ge anything more that backup 2B and 3B in Oakland.

That Callaspo for Green deal looks like an absolute steal for the Angels. They saved 4 million, and either got their future starting 2B, SS, 3B or super-utility guy with tons of upside with the bat, under control for 6 more years.

Even if The worst case scenario comes true, the Angels got a pinch hitting UT infielder and saved 4 million. There's no way they didn't win that trade, Callaspo wasn't doing anything here and likely would've been pressed for the starting 3B spot by Lucho and Romine. Looks like he won't ge anything more that backup 2B and 3B in Oakland.

Jumping to conclusions there, lol.

I have no issues with the Callaspo trade, but that is some hilarious homerism there.

Green is a significantly better bat than Callaspo and if he can stick defensively then there is no doubt the Angels won that trade. 

Green is also older, for a prospect, at what 26? So even though he had three solid years in AAA, the A's were too scared of his defense. 

I think Green wins one of the two backup infielder jobs, Romine or McDonald getting the other, and also wins the right to be the de-facto platoon DH with Ibanez in the second half of the season.

Ibanez had decent enough splits last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Green in the lineup more often against lefties later in the year, whether he plays the field (and that regular DH's, while Green plays his position) or as the DH. Or in a multi-position switch like Pujols at DH, Kendrick at 1st, Green at 2nd. Or Green at 2nd, Kendrick in Left and Hamilton as the DH.

I agree with Hubs -- Green has the potential as a super sub to play himself INTO (or out of) a more substantial role.

If Halos keep Green (which I think they will, he's on the 25) AND ROMINE -- that would be great -- but I just don't see it........it's either / or not AND, IMO.

And I think Green has won the spot.

Romine is out of options which may be a consideration in keeping him.........

Here I am saying good things about Romine's D and I check the re-play of today's game vs. Seattle and he had a 2 error inning including an E on what should have been an inning ending double play and then the umps over-turned the out at second, saying it wasn't in the act of throwing but that Romine simply bobbled the throw from Tommy Field at SS and never had control of the ball.....

oh well.

The nature of being a utility infielder doesn't require defensive expertise. Romine is great defensively but when you use a backup infielder, you aren't putting him in to make a spectacular play because opportunities for such things to occur given the lack of PT are rare.

In a utility infielder, you're looking for someone who can make the routine play, and Grant Green can do that. What makes Romine so valuable is that he can be brought in to lay down a bunt or pinch run as well. Whereas with Green, you're looking at tremendous offensive profile.

Romine fits the role better than Green. However, if the Angels intend to use their utility infielder regularly or for any extent of time, Green is the better option because of what he can do with the bat.

Should be interesting to see what Dipoto does.

Scotty is right about utility guys not needing to be really good at any one spot.

Even in his prime, Figgy was never great at any one spot. But, his worth in the mid 2000s was in filling in at 5 different positions.

Green, minus the SBs and switch-hitting, is on a similar trajectory.

Remember that Figgy's first full season at the MLB level didn't come until age 25.

Edited by Angel Oracle