• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Have at it MS "Fan Club"

this stat tells us that certain managers are good at winning close games and losing in blowouts.  It says nothing of any particular team outperforming it's talent level.  Good bullpens help this stat.  So does playing for one run late in games. 

MS is a very good manager who, in my opinion, hasn't done his best work the last three years.  Team composition has had a lot to do with that. 

I think this list gives insight into managerial style as much as it does talent. 

I guess you could argue that any manager is only as good, or bad, as the general manager (and owner for that matter) who supports him.  Scioscia has seen some good and some poor ones.  It's pretty much a collective team effort.  Probably the most important factor is that the manager, general manager and owner stay on the same page.  Then there are all those other people in the baseball operations department we rarely talk about who are very important as well.

Bingo.

It's really demeaning and is also incredibly clever.

I'm glad you get it.

I wasn't expecting one of the haterz to have such keen insight.

Thank you.

It makes me sad that to know that I may never write a post as good as this one.

I just want to make sure I understand this. So most people here that dislike Mike its because he is kind of old school and does things like bunt, or the contact play. He has been criticized (rightfully so) for batting guys like Aybar at lead off, because of his low OBP. However, according to this, which is based on advanced statistics (I am guessing) he is out performing his counterparts? I don't hate Mike like some, but was in favor of a change if for no other reason that for changes sake. So am I right in my assessment?

It is easier to blame one guy for the failures of a whole team just as it's easier to blame the President for the failures of the government. When you can put a face on something you tend to place all the blame on it.

Interestingly enough, when the team does well the manager gets 0 credit. If Mike deserves all the blame when the Angels lose then shouldn't he get all the credit when they win? If he gets even the slightest amount of blame when the team struggles then he should always get some credit when they do well.

This is actually how most sports fans see things. It isn't just angelswin. Everyone is quick to blame the coaches and managers when things are going bad. Like I said, it is easier to place the blame on an individual than a team, or a group.

It would be nice to cherry pick stats...wouldn't it.

i don't know if 5 years equates to cherry picking stats. bochy's overall won/loss record is under .500, but that's directly attributable to his managing some extremely bad padres teams for many years. he did a lot with a little, and won a world series twice with a really good pitching staff and a pretty avg offense.

i'd like to clarify, i don't fault scioscia entirely for the angels failings, but i would have fired him or traded him (if possible) after last season. it feels like his time with the angels has passed and i'm not comfortable with many aspects of his managing.

do i think he sucks? no, i just feel he has refused to evolve with the game and i don't think he's preparing his clubhouse to win, which i think is laziness.

Bingo.

It's really demeaning and is also incredibly clever.

I'm glad you get it.

I wasn't expecting one of the haterz to have such keen insight.

Thank you.

you're welcome...moderator. keep up the good "work."

did you get that too?

btw, i'm not a hater, superfan.

I just want to make sure I understand this. So most people here that dislike Mike its because he is kind of old school and does things like bunt, or the contact play. He has been criticized (rightfully so) for batting guys like Aybar at lead off, because of his low OBP. However, according to this, which is based on advanced statistics (I am guessing) he is out performing his counterparts? I don't hate Mike like some, but was in favor of a change if for no other reason that for changes sake. So am I right in my assessment?

I think this proves that given the right players, his managerial style works great.  He is a big part of creating the situations that this metric measures.  And clearly, he created them for right reason.  Interestingly, over the last four years he is net 0 to the pythag in terms of wins.  In other words, he no longer able to create those situations, is no longer trying to, or doesn't have the right players to execute it.  I think it's a bit of everything. 

I don't think he has his type of players and that is why he is not getting a couple extra wins a season like he use too. However, anyone that thinks it was his fault the last couple of years don't know too much about baseball.

so you're saying he lacks the ability to adapt?

I don't think he has his type of players and that is why he is not getting a couple extra wins a season like he use too. However, anyone that thinks it was his fault the last couple of years don't know too much about baseball.

i take umbrage at this comment because i've played and coached baseball and been pretty successful at both. granted, i've only coached little league, but my teams have been respectable and the kids definitely improved. i don't mean to take anything away from the other coaches who were, at the least, equally invaluable to those kids, but i know more than a little something about baseball. just because i happen to disagree about mike's culpability in the on field performance doesn't mean "i don't know much about baseball." 

i don't believe that any one man is solely responsible for what happens on the field, but i do believe that mike and his coaches have not had the team prepared to play, and i certainly don't entertain the notion that mlb'ers are professionals and don't need the coaches to get them to prepare. they are employees and almost all employees need leadership, end of story.

why don't we have team chemistry? team unity? if we do, and maybe we do, but i don't see it.

Edited by ukyah