• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Your Best Hitter Still Be Batting Third? -Motley Fool

If you've ever read The Book by Tom Tango, it talks in depth about who should hit where. 

Your best hitter should be hitting 2nd and your #4 and #5 hitter surprisingly should be your better hitters than your #3 hitter. Basically, your 4/5 hitters have more meaningful at bats than the #3 hitter. The higher amount of at bats for the #3 hitter is offset by the fact that there are better situations for the 4/5 hitters.

If you were to construct your lineup like this, it would look something like Calhoun-Trout-Hamilton-Pujols-Freese. That's nothing drastic except for switching Pujols and Hamilton. 

Here's some simply logic: the higher you are in the order, the more plate appearances you'll get over the course of a season. There's an argument that you could rank the hitters in order of best to worst, to maximize total plate appearances.

Regardless, I read somewhere that your #3 hitter leads off the fewest innings. I'd rather that not be Trout.

If you've ever read The Book by Tom Tango, it talks in depth about who should hit where.

Your best hitter should be hitting 2nd and your #4 and #5 hitter surprisingly should be your better hitters than your #3 hitter. Basically, your 4/5 hitters have more meaningful at bats than the #3 hitter. The higher amount of at bats for the #3 hitter is offset by the fact that there are better situations for the 4/5 hitters.

If you were to construct your lineup like this, it would look something like Calhoun-Trout-Hamilton-Pujols-Freese. That's nothing drastic except for switching Pujols and Hamilton.

Yep, this^^

Regarding my earlier post, you could switch Hamilton and Freese around in that lineup. Freese as a higher OBP guy hitting 3rd may be better than Hamilton's power there.

This isn't going to happen however since I'm sure Scioscia will have Pujols hitting 3rd for a long time. 

Regarding my earlier post, you could switch Hamilton and Freese around in that lineup. Freese as a higher OBP guy hitting 3rd may be better than Hamilton's power there.

This isn't going to happen however since I'm sure Scioscia will have Pujols hitting 3rd for a long time. 

I believe Pujols has that somewhere in his contract

Yep, until about 2021.