• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Grichuk opening some eyes with the Cardinals

Sounds like he's got a healthy attitude about the trade and his new opportunity.  This article even suggests he could make the team out of spring as a power bat off of the bench.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/grichuk-opening-some-eyes-with-cardinals/article_65623dd2-7b93-55fb-81ec-3bda01bec086.html

Edited by jsnpritchett

listening to the cardinals broadcast on thursday, they said the front office was practically foaming at the mouth on getting both bourjos and grichuk.    you would think based on their high opinions on them they would have given freese for only one of them. i guess they know they raped the angels pretty hard.

the sad thing is i dont see the same excitement from the angels side about getting freese.

Sounds like he's got a healthy attitude about the trade and his new opportunity.  This article even suggests he could make the team out of spring as a power bat off of the bench.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/grichuk-opening-some-eyes-with-cardinals/article_65623dd2-7b93-55fb-81ec-3bda01bec086.html

Yeah, they were talking up his LD rates, pull rates and the park indexes last year as well as his age the other day during their first ST game.  Yesterday they were talking about his power when he one handed a ball 400 feet to dead center for a triple.  They also mentioned that their metrics had him rated as the best defensive RFer in all of AA...  So yeah...

The other thing about yesterday's telecast that was pretty jarring, their play by play guys were talking about him when one mentioned that he had asked  their GM HOW or what they did to get the Angels to include him -- when the other asked what that was, he said.  I can't tell you.  

The Cards knew what they were doing when they asked for him.  

The overpay for Freese would have been far more palatable if Salas hadn't been on the other end of the deal. In terms of upside, we did get raped in that trade.

The Cardinals are a world class organization for a reason. Once it became apparent to them that first rounder Zack Cox wasn't the answer at 3B, they moved on and got value for him while they still could. *Cough cough* Kaleb Cowart...

And boom. Here comes unheralded Matt Carpenter. They make mistakes like everybody else, but the difference is the mistakes aren't all that egregious because they find value everywhere in the draft and usually hit on their 1st round picks (Carpenter 13th round, Allen Craig 8th round, Matt Adams 23rd round, Rosenthal 21st round, Siegrist 41st round, Miller 1st round, Wacha 1st round, Lynn 1st round).

And now their OF in the minors is stacked with Grichuk, Piscotty, and Ramsey.

Their front office is probably the best in the business. 

Edited by Llewyn Davis

I hope Grichuk does well in St. Louis.

That said, I can't see him ever hitting for average or post a good OBP, but he should pop 15-20 HR if he plays every day and provide a solid RF for them.

I hope Salas becomes a solid bullpen guy for us even more.

He hit 22 last year as a 21 year old in a park with a HR index of 69 for RHB.  For perspective, ATT comes in at 74 -- that's how difficult a hitting environment that place is..   As you pointed out -- Trumbo hit 15 there, as a 23 year old.

I understand he's an ex Angel now, and that with that comes lowered expectation for some but c'mon...  If he were good enough to warrant playing everyday, 15-20 would be a very conservative estimate.  I'd say it's a safer bet to question his ability to hit for enough average or OBP to play everyday than question his power potential.

Given Mark Trumbo's career, I'm willing to bet MLB teams would be willing to put up with iffy average and OBP skills so long as they come with pop and plus defense.

Edited by Inside Pitch

The funny part about all of this is if he were still an Angel, no one would even know who he is outside of the guy drafted right before Trout. Now that the Angels traded him away the media can't stop talking about how awesome he is. I read an article in Basebsll Prospectus the othe day that listed him among the best OF prospects in baseball. If he were an Angel, that never would have happened. But he's a Cardinal now, so he must be great.

The funny part about all of this is if he were still an Angel, no one would even know who he is outside of the guy drafted right before Trout. Now that the Angels traded him away the media can't stop talking about how awesome he is. I read an article in Basebsll Prospectus the othe day that listed him among the best OF prospects in baseball. If he were an Angel, that never would have happened. But he's a Cardinal now, so he must be great.

While I agree with the media being dim, the people at BBP are looking at the numbers, that's one place a guy like Grichuk would have been noticed.

Anyway plenty of Angels fans were high on Grichuk.  Here is one thread from the minor league forum where he was discussed: http://www.angelswin-forum.com/forums/topic/6944-randal-grichuk/   I'm sure I posted some comparisons in any of the 10 or so threads talking up how Cron is such a great power hitter and the Angels best prospect.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Liked the Trumbo trade but not this one...even dumber if Grichuck develops...Just dumb...

I absolutely hated that trade... but it was the cost of doing business, the Angels made the move they felt they needed to make.  The Trumbo trade on the other hand was about as perfect an example of the Angels maximizing their return on an asset.

Win some, lose some.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

I was never really a huge fan of Grichuk, but to just throw in a young talented player when we're so bereft of young talent, was the twist of the knife in that deal.

it feels like were back to the bill bavasi days where we trade young guys with talent for old guys who we hope will rebound.  bavasi was the king of senseless trades and dipoto is right up there with him. 

Bourjos for Freese should have been enough straight up. Hell, some would argue that it was still too much for the Angels to give up. That said, I would have been perfectly fine if that trade went down. The Salas for Grichuk part of the trade is what upsets me. The Angels got played so hard. They should have walked away when the Cards wanted more.

Bourjos for Freese should have been enough straight up. Hell, some would argue that it was still too much for the Angels to give up. That said, I would have been perfectly fine if that trade went down. The Salas for Grichuk part of the trade is what upsets me. The Angels got played so hard. They should have walked away when the Cards wanted more.

I couldn't agree more. I was stunned when I saw that part of the deal. This is not an organization that can afford to make those kind of concessions in trades, and it seemed like a move for move's sake to me. The 'win some, lose some' thought posited above is OK if you have excess in the minors (of anything), which the Angels don't. I think this is gonna be a very regrettable trade, I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see taking 2 players coming off of shitty years, one of them even being removed from his hometown team , and giving up two very young players with that much upside? The only hope is that Freese and Salas can (at the very least) rebound to their norms, which, to be honest, aren't really that impressive. Then and now, this just never seemed like a good idea, and I hope that the FO here had more intel on these two guys than all of us are privy to, because on the surface, this was a very Bavasi-esque trade. I get the feeling that the thinking with the FO's moves this Winter was not necessarily to straight upgrade the roster's talent level, but more to improve the balance and character of the clubhouse chemistry, while getting as deep as they possibly could in all areas. Either way, I do wish Grichuk and Pete well in St. Louis. The trade probably made them both very excited, getting to play in front of those great fans there, and for a team that is (annoyingly) always good. I just really hate the perception (or reality) that the Angels are the home for other teams' cast-offs, and that, more often than not, the inequity in their trades is the main conversation. That has been the case with this franchise for a long time now, and it would be nice to 'fleece' someone else for once!            

listening to the cardinals broadcast on thursday, they said the front office was practically foaming at the mouth on getting both bourjos and grichuk.    you would think based on their high opinions on them they would have given freese for only one of them. i guess they know they raped the angels pretty hard.

the sad thing is i dont see the same excitement from the angels side about getting freese.

That is because Freese's best years are behind him, unlike the two players we dealt for him.

It's a nice little puff piece from their regional source. 

the implication that the halos compared him to Trout is ridiculous.   The media and maybe some fans did that.  Otherwise, he was just a farmhand rising through the system. 

Granted, I was not a fan of this trade initially.  I thought Bourjos was worth more, but when it turned out he wasn't I made my peace with that part of it.  The Grichuk for Salas component was unnecessary but we've all been through this. 

I get that Grichuk was young for his level and is a considerable breakout candidate for this year.  He does have a pretty high ceiling with plus power, good defense, decent speed and ok contact ability.  But his plate discipline is still a considerable issue so his floor is still pretty low.  I would have liked to have seen if he could have broken out in a halo uniform, but it is what it is at this point. 

It may seem like the Cards got the better end of this deal but only time will tell us that for sure.