• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels May Trade/Release Blanton

YouthofToday

Don't sell Matt Shoemaker too short - he could surprise and be a solid 5th starter, even a #4 in a good year. Those numbers in AAA were in Salt Lake, which is a terrible park for his type of pitcher. He'll probably do better in Anaheim, even against major league hitting.

That said,it is quite worrisome after Shoemaker. Maybe they're hoping Sappington is ready by the second half for spot starts? Or perhaps Nick Maronde will be moved back to starting?

Blanton status has gone from being traded or even being given his outright release to competing for at least the fifth if not the FOURTH rotation spot.........

I think I predicted 85 / 86 wins for the Halos in 2014 in the prior prediction thread.........if this trend continues my prediction would be about ten wins less..........

there is no way they release Blanton any time soon.  To me, the fact that MS is indicating they may not have a long guy in the pen increases the likelihood that Blanton will be in the rotation.  He can't go to the minors and the team needs to keep whatever pitching it has so they won't be eating the money any time soon.  I think that spells either Santiago in the pen or Skaggs in AAA and that's assuming everyone stays healthy. 

it's not fun to think about, but outside of the top 5 in the rotation, I'd only put Shoemaker ahead of Joe on the depth chart.  Shoemaker's stuff just doesn't fit well in SLC.  Lot's of contact and flyballs.  I'd love to see him be our #6, but I don't think it's gonna happen. 

there is no way they release Blanton any time soon.  To me, the fact that MS is indicating they may not have a long guy in the pen increases the likelihood that Blanton will be in the rotation.  He can't go to the minors and the team needs to keep whatever pitching it has so they won't be eating the money any time soon.  I think that spells either Santiago in the pen or Skaggs in AAA and that's assuming everyone stays healthy. 

it's not fun to think about, but outside of the top 5 in the rotation, I'd only put Shoemaker ahead of Joe on the depth chart.  Shoemaker's stuff just doesn't fit well in SLC.  Lot's of contact and flyballs.  I'd love to see him be our #6, but I don't think it's gonna happen. 

Totally agree with you Doc.  For his game, Shoemaker has pitched in a tougher environment in Salt Lake than he would probably face in Angels Stadium.  I would really be confident in working him in as a number 6 starter, at least until we could chase another veteran later in the year.

Not sure what was more disconcerting about doc's post: what he was saying, or the fact that there's like nothing in there I can disagree with.

A+ job by Dipoto on the whole "pitching depth" thing, though. Hope we're all ready to get Blantoned.

Not sure what was more disconcerting about doc's post: what he was saying, or the fact that there's like nothing in there I can disagree with.

A+ job by Dipoto on the whole "pitching depth" thing, though. Hope we're all ready to get Blantoned.

I was shaking my head while typing it.  I felt like one of the most important goals of the off season was to make Joe Blanton irrelevant.  I don't think JD had any intention of making this happen purposefully.  Sure, if they signed Tanaka or somehow picked up a starter that was more mid/upper it would have bumped him far enough down where he wouldn't matter.  But, they had every opportunity to add someone who could probably provide better #5 production and they passed. 

Whether we like it or not, Blanton is now not only in a position to be relevant, but necessary.  We are one injury away from him being crucial.  I didn't want him on the team last year before his epic meltdown.  Now we need him......again. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  The one move that has completely failed so far that I can confidently attribute to JD is the Blanton deal.  Even though it wasn't a big money signing, I truly think it could be his downfall.  If this team misses the playoffs by a couple of games because Blanton get's 20-25 starts and is horrendous again, that's all on JD. 

I don't see Skaggs at AAA,  I think he makes the club either as a quasi-long relief/ sixth (spot) starter spot or perhaps the fifth guy in the rotation.

Halos lack of depth with starting pitching pretty much assures Skaggs being on the 25 man roster although perhaps not for opening day.

IF Skaggs is truly the sixth (spot) starter and the April/May schedule is such that there may not be a need for that -- the Halos may carry an additional pen guy other than Skaggs and let Skaggs get a month's worth of starts at SLC.......

With the Angels rotation situation -- and the fact that Skaggs did get some starts for Arizona last year - and did fairly well on some of them - I just see Skaggs being part of the Halos rotation during the 2014 season........maybe it's after Blanton blows a start or three.......(again).

I don't see Skaggs at AAA,  I think he makes the club either as a quasi-long relief/ sixth (spot) starter spot or perhaps the fifth guy in the rotation.

Halos lack of depth with starting pitching pretty much assures Skaggs being on the 25 man roster although perhaps not for opening day.

IF Skaggs is truly the sixth (spot) starter and the April/May schedule is such that there may not be a need for that -- the Halos may carry an additional pen guy other than Skaggs and let Skaggs get a month's worth of starts at SLC.......

With the Angels rotation situation -- and the fact that Skaggs did get some starts for Arizona last year - and did fairly well on some of them - I just see Skaggs being part of the Halos rotation during the 2014 season........maybe it's after Blanton blows a start or three.......(again).

not sure about that Discar.  If he doesn't make the rotation outright, I think they keep him stretched out in AAA as opposed to putting him in the pen.  They are gonna want him to maintain his length and consistently pitch every five days.  Although he likely has nothing more to prove, he's not the finished product and he has options.  The halos have indicated they may not keep a long man in the pen which to me makes Blanton a strong candidate for the rotation.