• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cooking ribs

Brandon

You don't have a grill and don't know when to break up with a girl. Oh Brandon, where did we go wrong?

Ok, if they are baby backs or St Louis you could try the broiler for a sear on both sides, This should be about 5 minutes each side. Lower the ribs and bake for an hour at 300 degrees. Then wrap them in foil to baste with some apple juice and butter for 1 to 1-1/2 hours at 300 degrees. Foil basting should lock in the moisture and when they are pliable (you pick them up in the middle and they bend) take them out of the foil, smear them with some BBQ sauce and pop them back under the broiler under a lowered rack to get the sauce to really stick to the meat.

If you hit them first with some Plowboys Yardbird dry rub about an hour before you start cooking it should help with the flavor. If you can't find Plowboys then hit up Barbeques Galore and go with John Henrys Maple Brown Sugar or Pecan rub.

By the way, my mother in law used to be the worst at cooking ribs. She would plop them into a deep roster pan, pour a couple quarts of Chris & Pits bbq sauce on them, then stuff that into the oven for 4 hours. I was so gross, like spare rib stew with an inch layer of oil on top. They really were not tender, more like a boiled piece of stringy meat. She thought they were restaurant quality.

Edited by Eric Notti

I'll give this a try. They are already marinated....grabbed them on a whim when I went in to get filets and bourbon. Switching it up.

Never thought about getting a grill because I'm color blind. Things like cooking, bbqing, and needing to watch over things like meat to see them shade to correctness has always been a bitch. I have to use a clock method which thankfully you provided.

I also just looked and they are cheap ribs, regular beef chuck. Oversight on my part. May just cook these to try them out and see how they come out, but make something else.

Thanks.

Barbeque doesn't require color perception. You cook to tender with ribs so it is all about grill temps staying stable, keeping the heat indirect so you don't get fat burn off flare ups, then following the simple 300 3:1:1 rule.

Keep the grate temps between 275 and 300 no higher, cook indirect for 3 hours and every half hour spraying them with some apple vinegar and apple juice. Foil for 1 hour off the heat, then back on the grill for 1 hour or less just to get the BBQ sauce to sink in. Beef ribs will probably take longer Baby Back less time.

The key is do the ribs look like they are pulling back from the bone and can you flex the rack when you lift up one end. It isn't about color so long as they are not black from being cooked at too high heat.

To simplify it more you can get one of these.

BBQ009.jpg

Oh, hell yes, you say. That is three racks of baby backs, a rack of chicken and potatoes roasting in the pan.

I understand the heat aspect. Many though can look or tell if something is done, I can't. I've always had to be temp and timer conscious.

Thanks Eric. We have a collective stable of great posters with regards to meat. I'll give bbqing a try some day....it's one of those things I think every dude should know.

1238641138644.gif

**** you!

Just kidding. I found out I was colorblind because in second grade when they did the test I could only get through the first two pages. Fast forward about 20 years and when I enlisted in the Navy and was at M.E.P.S. they tested me and I still could only get through the first two pages.

Those tests are actully really weird to me. I see all colors and for the most part know them all and it trips people out because it comes across as normal that I can state periwinkle, etc., but I can't see shit in that pic or others like it. It's shades and similar color spectrums like brown/green or blue/purple that I have a problem with.

Brandon, have you ever tried the finger test (not a euphemism) to check how your meat is cooked?

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/m/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

No, and actually never heard of it.

For the most part all my cooking is time based and trial and error. Ironically, my first job was at a steak sandwich shop. It was a learning curve cooking, but it was like Subway where the customers see you doing it so they would tell me if it was done or to their liking. Then it got to a point where I memorized the times of how long it needed to be on the grill.

It's weird, I can see the colors and see the difference between raw meat and the end result, but the cooking and shade changes took some getting used to. Now with steak, for instance, I have it memorized how it should look at medium rare and the pinkness.

Now I have cooked enough that I can see the thickness of what I'm cooking and assign it a time. Chicken is the only thing I'll still once in a while cut open to make sure it's done. I can also see if it's pink or not cooked thoroughly.

**** you!

Just kidding. I found out I was colorblind because in second grade when they did the test I could only get through the first two pages. Fast forward about 20 years and when I enlisted in the Navy and was at M.E.P.S. they tested me and I still could only get through the first two pages.

Those tests are actully really weird to me. I see all colors and for the most part know them all and it trips people out because it comes across as normal that I can state periwinkle, etc., but I can't see shit in that pic or others like it. It's shades and similar color spectrums like brown/green or blue/purple that I have a problem with.

Colorblindness runs in my family. My cousin only found out when his third grade teacher asked him why he colored the sky purple.

1 in 12 males. I can't even say it's hereditary as it mostly has to do with the X and Y chromosomes. To be a male one must have certain X and Y chromosome patterns and these also are the same patterns that create colorblindness.

I found out when we had an aid come in and pull us out one by one to do the test. I do have a memory though as a second grader where we were coloring angels for Christmas and I colored the angels hair green instead of brown and got made fun of. Give me a 16 box of Crayolas and I'm generally fine. Give the 64 box or even worse, the assorted mix in the licorice tubs (which was the case here), and I'm ****ed. I tried to memorized that brown and purple are darker than green and blue, but I often find I am still wrong. 

slow cook them in the oven. 

the only reason to do them on a grill is to add smoke flavor which some may not even be fond of.  Otherwise, it's just heat and time so anything that can do that will work. 

you can google a recipe but it basically involves making a rub.  Put the rub on your meat, wrap them in foil and cook them low and slow at about 300 for about 2-3hrs until you see the meat pull away from the bones.  Then at the end get your favorite bbq or make one.  Slather the ribs generously and put them under a hot broiler until the sauce carmelizes a bit.  Don't forget to take the silver layer of skin off the ribs first although if they are pre marinated, they may have already done that. 

The other quicker option is to boil them.  It doesn't smell very good and the texture isn't as nice, but it works in a pinch.  Boil them for about 1/2 hr and then do the above process with the sauce and broiler.

If you want some good bake beans to go along with it, chop some bacon into small pieces and render it down in a pot until it's cooked. Add some onions and let them get clear.  Then add a can of beans or two, some ketchup, molasses (if you have it), brown sugar and some spices. Maybe some dry or even liquid mustard. 

allrecipes and food.com is a good starting point for most stuff.  sites like saveur, serious eats and epicurious have good stuff as well but is generally more involved.

Did kind of a mix. By the time I asked I needed to hurry opposed to having time (I didn't expect 2 hours plus). I ended up doing 325 for an hour on the middle rack wrapped loosely in foil. It came out good, felt more like a good smelling steak. The cut was bad as was the marinade....or atleast not what any of us would want with ribs.

It makes me want to do it again but do my own marinade and have time. I have a rub/sauce from KC that I want to do.

I do like the oven method. I'd do the same again but at that 300 and maybe 2 hour time and do a bbq rub and baste after in sauce or do the sauce pre with the rub and just eat it as is.

**** you!

I'm right there with you, man. I see colors but I don't see jack past the first two gimme color plates.

I see it as a fortuitous step of evolution that makes it so we don't even need to waste a second of our time on those BS tests.

Fu*k the losers that throw their time down the drain getting through all that crap.

I'm right there with you, man. I see colors but I don't see jack past the first two gimme color plates.

I see it as a fortuitous step of evolution that makes it so we don't even need to waste a second of our time on those BS tests.

Fu*k the losers that throw their time down the drain getting through all that crap.

Yeah, I've never had major problems with it as we see full colors no problem, just distinguishing. I think by the time I got toward the end of high school I learned to start using two colors instead of one....I realized stating one color was definitive, but two or more was more open to interpretation. Something like, "I like that wall color choice as well, it's kind of a sand or tan color."

It's never held me back outside of enlisting in the Navy where I had a great ASVAB score and was basically told to select any job but was constantly denied for all the good jobs or ones I was interested in doing as a civilan after. Would have been quite the different life path if I got accepted for any of the ones I wanted......still not sure what beig colorblind has to do with the NSA or cryptology (cue up race jokes!)