• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels, Trout discussing six-year, $140M deal

Chuck

That would make him a free agent at age 29. I'm wondering if his agent's research shows that a 29-year old free agent makes substantially more than a 30-year old free agent.

There is a debate in the sabermetric community about long-term deals should only be given to players on the right side of 30.

There is a debate in the sabermetric community about long-term deals should only be given to players on the right side of 30.

while i can agree with that, at 29 years old....how much different would it be? Especially, depending on what time a year someones bday is (in relationship to the season), if a guy is 30 vs 29 and some change?

Sabermetrics don't account for a player's draw. Jeter hasn't been worth his contract by saber standards, but as a business it has worked well for the Yanks. There is an added value when an established star represents a team.

Never going to happen. Trout was as good as gone as soon as the Angels only gave him a minor pay bump last year. I was told there was no chance he would sign any kind of deal to stay.

Did anyone actually say that?   Probably a a few.  I wasn't thrilled with the Angels' renewal. An increase more in line with most Rookies of the Year wouldn't have been much money in the grand scheme of things.  Their explanation was that they do that for all of their 0-3 players.  Their explanation for breaking that practice this year was that he's a special case, which is what people argued last year.  Why the change?  Because they want him to sign a long term deal. It may or may not matter, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  

while i can agree with that, at 29 years old....how much different would it be? Especially, depending on what time a year someones bday is (in relationship to the season), if a guy is 30 vs 29 and some change?

Its a huge psychological factor. I don't know how old you are, ocho, but when I turned 30 it was definitely like, "Oh, OK, things are different now - gotta start taking this shit seriously!" That is also partially because my wife became pregnant with our first daughter when I was 30!

But I think it is a big psychological difference. A 29 year old is still viewed of as in the heart of their prime. 30 means the end of prime is in sight. Obviously all players are different, but most start showing some signs of decline between age 30-32, and by 33 almost all players are declining. Occasionally you have some players who actually get better in their 30s--and this doesn't always have to do with steroids (look at Paul Molitor or Willie Mays). But the vast majority start slipping sometime after their 30th birthday.

Anyone who thinks Mike Trout is going to just walk away from $150M because he doesn't like the west coast or doesn't think the Angels can win or doesn't like Mike Scioscia or was offended by last years pay are nuts.

It's 150 million bucks!

He's going to sign. I don't know if he'll give up 3 years of FA or 4, but either way he's going to get another chance at free agency and he can play on the east coast and set a record then.

For now, he's going to just take his 150 million bucks.

I hope it is 4 years of free agency and you are right, no matter what the Angels offer he will grab it or be stuck with only arbitration dollars for 3 more years hoping not to snap an ankle in Spring Training drills like Mulder did. I think the current run of injuries should be a wake up call for Mike if he has any hesitation.

If like to see a LONG term deal, like ten years, just to shut everyone up on the East Coast. But six years after this season will suffice. I think it was yk that said he doesn't care about having Trout his entire career and that with this contract he's about to sign we will have him for his best years and let someone else overpay him for his decline. That's what my brain tells me, but as a fan I'd like to see him as long as possible, even if it means over paying him. That is probably why I want to see a ten year deal now.

Anyone who thinks Mike Trout is going to just walk away from $150M because he doesn't like the west coast or doesn't think the Angels can win or doesn't like Mike Scioscia or was offended by last years pay are nuts.

It's 150 million bucks!

He's going to sign. I don't know if he'll give up 3 years of FA or 4, but either way he's going to get another chance at free agency and he can play on the east coast and set a record then.

For now, he's going to just take his 150 million bucks.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how little time is actually spent being required to be where the team plays. It's slightly over half a year (April-September/October). Out of that time, half is spent traveling for away games.

6 at 140 I say do it now, a steal.

Actually that is pretty fair.  Let's consider his arbitration years he would make around 45 million (10/15/20).  That is 95 million for three years of free agency.  Just under 32 million a year.  I still would want to go 7 years and give him 175 million, but I would say 6/140 is a fair deal.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how little time is actually spent being required to be where the team plays. It's slightly over half a year (April-September/October). Out of that time, half is spent traveling for away games.

Yeah I don't know a single person who wouldn't want to spend the spring in Arizona after the cold winter in New Jersey, then the entire spring/summer and fall in sunny So. California if given the chance. Trout gets to spend 3-4 months out of the year close to his family and friends back in Jersey, plus all the times he spends with them during the season when on the road and when they visit So. Cal for a home series.