• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 NFL Free Agency

nando714

It always trips me out when mediocre to bad QB's get pushed up draft boards simply because all the other QB's suck. Happened last year, will happen this year.......actually, it happens pretty often.

If I needed a QB, I'd give up the 2nd for Cousins and draft another need than reach for one of these terrible QB's and  be out of a job in three years.

I remember reading that the Indianapolis Colts agonized over whether to take Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf with the first pick, and they didn't decide until right before they made the pick. Football history would have been a bit different had they made a different choice. Going into that draft, most experts agreed that they were pretty much even. History turned out a little differently.

I agree that this QB class is overrated. Honestly I don't see Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel having long term success in the league. I would be fine with Jacksonville taking A. J. McCarron or Derek Carr in a later round. Teddy Bridgewater reminds me of Geno Smith, and Johnny Manziel reminds me of Doug Flutie.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

It wasn't like that. They actually did a 30 for 30 or some documentary that mainly focused on Leigh Steinberg, who was Leaf's agent. He actually never met with Indy because he didn't want to play there so it was an easy choice for Indy. Bill Polian did a good job breaking down everything from the Indy point of view.

It wasn't like that. They actually did a 30 for 30 or some documentary that mainly focused on Leigh Steinberg, who was Leaf's agent. He actually never met with Indy because he didn't want to play there so it was an easy choice for Indy. Bill Polian did a good job breaking down everything from the Indy point of view.

Well, not everything I read is accurate. The Colts certainly seemed to know what they were doing, so I will go with your version.

I remember reading that the Indianapolis Colts agonized over whether to take Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf with the first pick, and they didn't decide until right before they made the pick. Football history would have been a bit different had they made a different choice. Going into that draft, most experts agreed that they were pretty much even. History turned out a little differently.

I agree that this QB class is overrated. Honestly I don't see Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel having long term success in the league. I would be fine with Jacksonville taking A. J. McCarron or Derek Carr in a later round. Teddy Bridgewater reminds me of Geno Smith, and Johnny Manziel reminds me of Doug Flutie.

Brandon covered it but yea, Leaf actually didn't want to go to the Colts so he intentionally sabotaged his relationship with them.  Flaking out on meetings, etc.

Revis will either be traded or cut according to reports.  What a bust that guy turned out to be.  Hopefully FO's will think twice before giving tons of money to these assholes that refuse to show up to camp unless they get a raise.

According to some of the talking heads Revis actually wasn't bad last year especially after coming back from a major injury but it doesn't sound like his style fits with Lovie Smith's defensive scheme.  Despite getting a massive contract none of it was guaranteed so if they can't trade him Tampa can just cut him.  I'm sure he'll have no shortage of suitors.

Edit - really curious to see what Denver does.  They were I think 16M under the cap before cutting Champ which gave them another 10M.  Everyone knows their window is the next year or two and right now they've got major holes in the secondary and at DE.  I'm thinking Moreno's days in Denver are over and they'll go with Ball as their primary back. 

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

Looks like Arizona might sign LT Jared Valdheer. Raiders want to over pay Saffold who may or may not even be a LT or a tackle at all. 

Arizona offered Karlos Dansby a fair deal but looks like he wants another pay day and it might be with the Browns or Titans. 

Yeah, Revis was good and far from a bust. He just kept wanting pay days. The deal with the Bucs was 6/96 (I believe) but no signing bonus or guaranteed money except the roster bonus that is going to kick in and why the Bucs want to dump him before it kicks in.

For the AFC West, it sucks that Denver is so good and has so much money available for FA. Raiders have a ton, but will blow it like always. Chargers have none, last I looked it was something like 4-6m. Chiefs have around 10m, but want to do extensions and maybe resign some of their own free agents....or continue to build through the draft.

I expet the Chiefs to have a quiet FA.

Broncos also signed Talib. He's not a favorite of mine but you can never have enough DBs now. If they sign Ware they'll look similar to the '97-'98 teams with plenty of free agents on D. Guys like Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Darien Gordon to compliment the homegrown players. 2014 or bust for both the Angels and Broncos. 

As I mentioned before Denver had something like 16M before cutting Champ which gave them another 10M.  I think they overpaid a bit for Talib but getting Ward for as little as they did makes up for it.  Their window may be 1-2 years as Peyton is getting older and they're going to have to pony up for D. Thomas next year which could impact their ability to sign other players.  They lost Beadles to FA but they will get Clady back on the line in 2014.  This is a team who looked great last year until getting dismantled by a tougher team in the Superbowl.  They needed to get more physical in the secondary and that's exactly what they did with the Ward and Talib signings.  I'd love to see them land Ware because it would make it easier for them to take best available during the draft.    

Seems like quite a bit for Ware but despite the 3 FA signings Denver should still have plenty left for their draft picks.  After Kuper retired they actually had 32 million in cap space so how much left is a question of how the 3 contracts are structured.  Definitely all or nothing and I'm curious what Allen ends up getting because if not Ware that's a guy I would have liked in Denver.