• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 NFL Free Agency

nando714

Rams need DB and OL help, and a veteran RB (mentoring Zac Stacy) and a veteran WR.

They have all the good young speedy WRs any NFL team could want, one of the better defensive front sevens in the NFL, and a solid QB in Sam Bradford if not being sacked constantly.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Rams need DB and OL help, and a veteran RB (mentoring Zac Stacy) and a veteran WR.

They have all the good young speedy WRs any NFL team could want, one of the better defensive front sevens in the NFL, and a solid QB in Sam Bradford if not being sacked constantly.

I think it's time to end the Bradford experiment.

Take Bortles.

Chiefs needs are probably:

WR, a #2 to go with Bowe....heard they are looking hard at Maclin.

RT, looks like Albert is going to walk and move number one overall pick, Fisher, over to LT.

TE, not a desperate need, but would like an upgrade.

DE, depends if they resign Jackson who is serviceable. With Houston and Hali coming off the edge a 3-4 pass rusher isn't needed, but would be awesome.

FS, someone to pair with Berry.

They have a young and good team so there might not be a lot of action in FA. Continue to build through the draft.

Chiefs needs are probably:

WR, a #2 to go with Bowe....heard they are looking hard at Maclin.

RT, looks like Albert is going to walk and move number one overall pick, Fisher, over to LT.

TE, not a desperate need, but would like an upgrade.

DE, depends if they resign Jackson who is serviceable. With Houston and Hali coming off the edge a 3-4 pass rusher isn't needed, but would be awesome.

FS, someone to pair with Berry.

They have a young and good team so there might not be a lot of action in FA. Continue to build through the draft.

Was hoping Tony Gonzalez would get traded there last year

As intriguing as Bortles is, the Rams' OL is mostly either a mess or real young, and the CB spots aren't much better.

Robinson, Lewan, and Gilbert are all sitting pretty out there to help fix those areas.

I guess they could gamble on Bortles being available at #13 overall, take Robinson at #2 overall, and hope a solid OL and solid CB are still available with the #45 and #77 overall picks.

Update:  So much for that idea.   Bortles' great combine likely elevated him into the top 10 picks, even as high as either #5 (Raiders) or #7 (Bucs).

Edited by Angel Oracle

Cowboys need to trim some payroll because of Jerry's spending.  Luckily the salary cap is much higher so it's not as bad as previously thought.  Restructures of Romo, Witten, and Carr will help.  Cowboys desperately need help on the defensive side of the ball, especially with rumors going around that Ware may be a cap casualty.  We need pass rush badly.  DE, DT mainly and a Safety would help.  Really, hope we get Aaron Donald in the draft.  We need the rush up the middle and that guy is a beast.

Is it me, or does it seem like every team has trouble with the cap? Guys get cut as a "cap casualty" despite the need of their team.

NFL is a money machine, wouldn't it be better to significantly raise the cap and allow teams to hold onto some guys and build some loyalty?

Is it me, or does it seem like every team has trouble with the cap? Guys get cut as a "cap casualty" despite the need of their team.

NFL is a money machine, wouldn't it be better to significantly raise the cap and allow teams to hold onto some guys and build some loyalty?

This year the cap is 133M and it's expected to hit 150M by 2016 which is a decent jump.  A lot of times cap casualty players are old, under performing and declining especially when you consider their salary.  The Broncos cut Bailey which saves them 10M in cap space in 2014 and despite everything he did for them it's the right move given his production and injury history the last few years.  Most teams have found a way to to keep the guys they want around by either re-negotiating or cutting overpaid players before their roster bonuses come due.   

The salary cap is already determined by how much revenue the NFL made in the previous year.  It's extremely rare for a team to make a cap casualty on a player that can still contribute at a high level.  Part of the problem with these casualties is the way they are able to restructure contracts.  Every time you restructure a player, their cap hit in later years increases.  Some guys will restructure so much they balloon out of control and the team has no choice but to cut them because their cap hit is just absurd for the level of production they are providing.

Just saw on Fox Sports that the Jaguars are interested in Michael Vick. While he wouldn't be a long term solution to anything, their quarterback situation is as bad as anyone's in the NFL. They wound up with Chad freaking Henne as a starter after completely squandering a first round draft pick on Blaine Gabbert, whose fourth quarter NFL QB rating last season was one point above mine.

This only makes sense if they plan to load up on defense and offensive line, and/or they don't believe that any of the available QBs are difference makers in their situation. I really hope that they don't go for the gimmick and take Johnny Manziel, because I don't see him being successful long term in the pros. I would love to see them take Jadeveon Clowney, but I have a feeling that he will be gone by the time Jacksonville picks at #3.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I see a lot of Clowney to the Rams, although weird since they have two solid DEs.

I feel bad about Gabbert. I watched him live a few times and on tv with Mizzou and he was a good college QB, but knew he wouldn't be shit in the NFL. It blew my mind when he jumped up so much that dudes had him going #1. That was nuts to me.

There's no need for Watkins, the Rams already have two young speed WR guys in Austin and Bailey. 

If you don't have a good OL, it doesn't matter how many good young WRs you have, the ball isn't coming to them when the QB is on his back.

That's why Robinson at #2 and Lewan at #13 would be a dream first round.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I feel bad about Gabbert. I watched him live a few times and on tv with Mizzou and he was a good college QB, but knew he wouldn't be shit in the NFL. It blew my mind when he jumped up so much that dudes had him going #1. That was nuts to me.

Jacksonville (more accurately former GM Gene Smith, who blew more high draft picks than Carter has little pills), traded up to take Gabbert, so sure was he that Gabbert was (1) the answer, and (2) gone before they picked otherwise. I saw Gabbert play at Missouri as well, and one thing that struck me was he was very inaccurate when throwing deep, which NFL QBs must be able to do. His deep passes were primarily fling it and hope that one of his guys was able to take it away from the defender. I watched the first round of the draft the year he was selected, and I was horrified that Jacksonville not only took him, but traded up to do it. It has turned out exactly as I expected.

I'm not a big fan of taking QBs in the first round, especially when you have as many other needs as Jacksonville does. Occasionally one pans out, but most of them don't. If they don't fix the offensive line in particular, it won't matter who is behind center.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I can't remember who said it, but I was watching NFL Network and someone was saying that this might be the most overrated QB class in years. Basically stating that no QB in this draft deserves to be picked in the first round. The only reason 3 QBs will go so early is because of need. I think out of this class you will see guys like McCarron, Mettenberger and Garappolo have bigger impacts in the league 5 years down the road than Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel.

Bortles is interesting though. He could be Ben Roethlisberger or he could end up like Blaine Gabbert. GMs don't have it easy when trying to draft a QB this year.

Bortles had a great combine, while Manziel refused to do certain things.

McCarron is a cerebral/tough QB that kind of reminds me in a modern version way of another Alabama QB from the 1950s who wasn't the most talented QB but became famous in the NFL and won FIVE titles in the 1960s: Bart Starr.

It always trips me out when mediocre to bad QB's get pushed up draft boards simply because all the other QB's suck. Happened last year, will happen this year.......actually, it happens pretty often.

If I needed a QB, I'd give up the 2nd for Cousins and draft another need than reach for one of these terrible QB's and  be out of a job in three years.