• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

From the LA Times - Albert Pujols battles foot problem but vows to be ready for Angels' opening day

First baseman has plantar fasciitis in left foot but still plays first base Tuesday and says that his right knee is pretty much recovered from surgery.

PHOENIX — His surgically repaired right knee feels so good that Albert Pujols declared himself fit to play first base in the April 1 season opener at Cincinnati, even though he didn't make his spring debut in the field until Tuesday.prehCqttgvw

View the full article

I'm sure it's an arch problem--that's what it is for me. It never completely goes away, but you get used to it. I'm sure the reason it's bothering him right now is for the same reason mine's bothering me. I had ankle surgery in early January and have just started rehab. I've been off my right foot for two months. Now that I'm starting to put weight on it, the fascia are screaming at me until I strengthen, stretch, and get them used to walking and running again.The knee's the bigger issue.

this foot/arch problem worries me. it's a potential career ender.watching albert trying to run last year was painful. in my experience, the only intervention that works for it is rest and even then results aint great.  maybe someone with direct experience can chime in with a treatment(surgical intervention?) that works for plantar fasciitis.

I had plantar faciitis a few years back. Can be erg very painful, at first I thought it was a bone chip in my foot because whenever I would step down it would feel like I was being stabbed in the heel, the doctors said its because the flat shoes I wore all the time (vans) with no support. They get you on a stretching routine to stretch out te muscles in your foot. Also had a few cortisone shots into my foot. It's really painful but I don't see why Pujols couldn't play through it if they treat it right.

Plantar fasciitis can be a big problem if you're in a sport that involves a lot of running such as football or basketball. In terms of baseball, it shouldn't be much of a problem for Pujols. I imagine a lot of singles, doubles, and HR's from him. I'm not expecting many triples. He shouldn't be running enough for it to be a major issue.

The plantar fasciitis and knee don't worry me as much as the general suckitude that accompanies aging. I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I can't shake the feeling that this contract is going to eventually make Vernon Wells' albatross look like a tweetie bird. I'm reasonably confident that for the next three or four years Albert will be able to at least equal his disappointing-but-decent 2012. But in 2017-2021? I'm not so confident.

Now I don't think that Albert, even when he's 40, will ever be nearly as bad as Vernon's been for the last two years. But there's going to be a point where things start getting awkward.

Plantar Fasciitis?  Isn't that what killed Glaus' career?  

I have had it a couple of times, and it hurts like hell. You can barely stand to put weight on your foot. Resting it is about all that helps to heal it.

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but I can't shake the feeling that this contract is going to eventually make Vernon Wells' albatross look like a tweetie bird.

You're not alone in that feeling. I can easily see us winding up with a $25M bench player for at least a couple of years. A five-year deal would have been a decent idea. A ten-year deal was just insane.

I can easily see us winding up with a $25M bench player for at least a couple of years. A five-year deal would have been a decent idea. A ten-year deal was just insane.

Then complain about it in 5 years when he's a $25M bench player instead of making us all suffer through the whining and moaning about Pujols health decline in year 9, while he's still fine to go out there and play.