• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia still doesnt understand baseball

Marsaka

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/14/mike-trout-will-likely-bat-second-in-the-angels-lineup/

OK Scioscia, the entire point of batting lead off is to get on base, so its actually a good thing if they walk him dum dum.  We pay pujols and hamilton to drive in runs and if he's hitting in front of pujols he's going to stay planted at first base and wont get as many steals and you're not taking advantage of his speed - making him one dimensional. 

Edited by Marsaka

Trout hits a lot of doubles and home runs, as well as collecting walks, so I have no trouble with him batting second. Just as long as Aybar, who seems to despise the base-on-balls, is nowhere near the top of the order.

how is he gonna steal if he hits 2nd and pujols fouls off every pitch when trout takes off?  pujols said he doesnt like a lot of movement when he's hitting.

why wouldnt u take advantage of trout's tremendous speed and put as much pressure as possible against the opposing team.

He won't be fouling off as many pitches this year. The foot's better, and his timing will be better. Pujols himself has said a lot of his swing comes from the lower body, and he couldn't get his feet right last year.

And it's up to the coaches and manager to set these guys straight on when it's the right time to lay off a pitch so a steal can be attempted. 

Edited by fan_since79

He won't be fouling off as many pitches this year. The foot's better, and his timing will be better. Pujols himself has said a lot of his swing comes from the lower body, and he couldn't get his feet right last year.

And it's up to the coaches and manager to set these guys straight on when it's the right time to lay off a pitch so a steal can be attempted. 

scioscia doesnt have the balls to say anything to pujols.  

heres a pretty good pov that i agree with:  

http://www.halosheaven.com/2014/2/4/5376914/beef-with-scioscia

No idea how accurate it is, but ive read and heard things in the past that pujols doesnt like guys stealing when hes up. No clue how accurate that is.

If it is true?....I accept pujols is a HOF (or was), and he is (still) a top tier hitter (if healthy), so yeah...he deserves tonbe comfortable (though he should deal with it). That said, if thats the case, all the more reason to bat trout leadoff.

LOL

A world series champ as a starting catcher and as a manager doesn't understand baseball? OK Marsaka go ahead and list your credentials.

What is your highest level playing?

What is your highest level coaching?

Have you gotten paid for any baseball related work? Writing? Announcing? Anything?

I'll take your response off the air. 

Trout has better numbers at #2, but we cannot afford to put an automatic out in the #1 slot in front of him. The #1 needs to battle.

Aybar's had multiple multiple chances at the top of the order, he stinks. I would be more than happy to give Calhoun the #1 slot and see what happens for the first half of the season.

We also cannot have Pujols screwing up Trouts chances of stealing bases whenever possible, and he has NOT demonstrated the past 2 years that he is still the kind of player that should be able to free swing, so he just needs to come to grips that he's going to have to chill the hell out with Trout on base to help the team.

I think as far as him having better numbers as a 2 is simply because hes getting better with experience (though sosh could argue pujols provided protection). At any rate, I think hes far better suited batting leadoff.

And if it is true that pujols doesnt lile him running, all the more reason to seperate them. Its not just that trout is fast and can steal bases. Its that hes elite in doing so. It makes zero sense to take away that (or any) tool.

I am no Scioscia fan, but this seems like a non-issue. Trout is going to bat second. That is, and has been, a given.

I just hope he doesn't have a merry-go-round at the leadoff spot. If Calhoun has any trouble settling in to the spot in the first week,  I can see  Catorce Grande's lineup tinkering becoming epic.

As far as Pujey not liking movement when he is at the plate.....wtf?

Albey isn't good enough these days to have the entire game revolve around  HIS needs and preferences..

If this is true, Mensa needs to summon all his meager managerial and communication skills...and tell him to shut the F up and deal with it.

If Scioscia is coddling Pujols to this extent, he has finally lost it completely.

LOL

A world series champ as a starting catcher and as a manager doesn't understand baseball? OK Marsaka go ahead and list your credentials.

What is your highest level playing?

What is your highest level coaching?

Have you gotten paid for any baseball related work? Writing? Announcing? Anything?

I'll take your response off the air. 

i need to play professional baseball in order to have a basic understanding of it?  lol    scioscia just said trout would be a bad idea in the lead off spot because they will walk him.  a clear indication he doesn't understand baseball.  ya scioscia such a bad idea for your leadoff hitter with amazing speed to draw a walk, 

and scioscia didnt win the 2002 world series, joe maddon did.  scioscia hasnt even sniffed the world series since his coaching staff has left and his lack of managing skills has been more and more apparent since they left.

Maddon won the World Series and not Scioscia? Wow, I use to think you just hated everyone except for Trout, now I understand you're just a troll.

it takes a full team to win a world series but there's no way scioscia had anything to do with a win like erstad grit suggested - aside from being along for the ride.  if you want to give managerial credit for 2002, it would go to maddon.

“I don’t think we’re going to rule out anything with Mike, but if he’s hitting first, there’s no doubt you need a hitter behind him who’s going to give him the protection he needs, to where it’s not as routine (to walk him) as you saw last year,” Scioscia said.

If this means Aybar and his hack tactic, poor OBP ways bats leadoff the manager has become a sciosciapath.

Mike wants Trout to get better chances to hit/drive in runs rather than be pitched around/walked

what's so bad about that? You want your best hitter getting as many chances to swing the bat. Sosh is right with this lineup. Calhoun/Trout/Pujols/Hamilton should be the 1-4 and within the next few years they'll move Trout to the 3 spot

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/14/mike-trout-will-likely-bat-second-in-the-angels-lineup/

OK Scioscia, the entire point of batting lead off is to get on base, so its actually a good thing if they walk him dum dum.  We pay pujols and hamilton to drive in runs and if he's hitting in front of pujols he's going to stay planted at first base and wont get as many steals and you're not taking advantage of his speed - making him one dimensional. 

Doesn't understand baseball????????

MLB catcher

2x All Star

AL Manager of the Year

Winningest Manager in Angel History

Four Division titles

Currently ranks 52 on the ALL TIME wins for Manager with over 1000 victories.

And you say he knows nothing about baseball???? What have you done that suggest that you are in a position to critique's Sciocia's baseball knowledge....did you manager your kid's little league team.

Yes, I know you are criticizing his decision about who should lead off.  And criticism is fair game.  But to suggest he knows nothing and never new nothing about baseball is ignorant.

i need to play professional baseball in order to have a basic understanding of it?  lol    scioscia just said trout would be a bad idea in the lead off spot because they will walk him.  a clear indication he doesn't understand baseball.  ya scioscia such a bad idea for your leadoff hitter with amazing speed to draw a walk, 

and scioscia didnt win the 2002 world series, joe maddon did.  scioscia hasnt even sniffed the world series since his coaching staff has left and his lack of managing skills has been more and more apparent since they left.

You probably need it to suggest that someone who has success as a player and manager in MLB "doesn't know anything about baseball".

It is clear you don't know anything....go ahead and keep managing the little league games.  They need the help.

it takes a full team to win a world series but there's no way scioscia had anything to do with a win like erstad grit suggested - aside from being along for the ride.  if you want to give managerial credit for 2002, it would go to maddon.

How about the 1000 wins...Maddon won those two?

How about the ALL STAR appearances as catcher?  Maddon won that was well?

Personally I think Maddon did a great job helping the 2009 Angels get to the ALCS.  His contributions from Tampa Bay is just amazing.

Doesn't understand baseball????????

MLB catcher

2x All Star

AL Manager of the Year

Winningest Manager in Angel History

Four Division titles

Currently ranks 52 on the ALL TIME wins for Manager with over 1000 victories.

And you say he knows nothing about baseball???? What have you done that suggest that you are in a position to critique's Sciocia's baseball knowledge....did you manager your kid's little league team.

Yes, I know you are criticizing his decision about who should lead off.  And criticism is fair game.  But to suggest he knows nothing and never new nothing about baseball is ignorant.

you can play professional baseball and still know very little about the game.  just look at hatcher and his "walks are a false stat" theory.