• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing 6yr extension with Mike Trout - Yahoo

bloodbrother

If this alleged 6 year deal goes through it won't kick in until 2015 which gives us Trout for at least 9 years in total counting his ROY campaign, 2013 and the 2014 season ahead. I'm hoping if he does leave after 9 years he would have given us nearly a decade of MVP type seasons like his current teammate did for the St. Louis Cardinals before he departed via free agency.

I agree with everything you wrote, BUT I really hope he ends up being an Angel for life.  Hopefully it all works out.

I don't have time to read all seven pages right now.  However, I have to respond to the rumor.  If true, this would be a very stupid move by the Angels.  160 million for six years only buys out two years of FA.  Basically we would be paying trade fair market value right now when he still has four years of club control left.  Trout gets the benefit of a long term contract.  He gets insurance against injury.  What do the Angels get?  Two extra years!

Trout is only guaranteed 500 K this year.  The record for first year ARB is 10 million, the record for second year ARB I believe is 15 million and the record for final year ARB is 18 million.   That is 43.5 million....NON guaranteed (injuries).  That means we are paying Trout 115 million for 2 years of FA.  That is insane.  I don't care how good you are.

The Angels should tell they want another two years if he wants the big contract.  If Trout doesn't want it, than tell his agent he will get 500 k this year and lets hope he doesn't get hurt.  You don't pay a guy fair market value while he has four years of club control unless he gives something back.....and that should be  years.

Not really anything the Angels can do here. Trout and his agent know that the longer the years the more money they lose in the long run. As a 28 y/o FA he is pretty much guaranteed a 12/350 type deal. 

Buy out the 2 FA years and hope you don't suck ass the entire 6 years to give him more of an incentive to re-sign in the future. What else can you do?

Trout and his agent also should be aware that he is a blown knee away from getting 500 K and that is it. 

If he wants his big money now, he needs to give more than just two years of FA. 

I don't have time to read all seven pages right now.  However, I have to respond to the rumor.  If true, this would be a very stupid move by the Angels.  160 million for six years only buys out two years of FA.  Basically we would be paying trade fair market value right now when he still has four years of club control left.  Trout gets the benefit of a long term contract.  He gets insurance against injury.  What do the Angels get?  Two extra years!

Trout is only guaranteed 500 K this year.  The record for first year ARB is 10 million, the record for second year ARB I believe is 15 million and the record for final year ARB is 18 million.   That is 43.5 million....NON guaranteed (injuries).  That means we are paying Trout 115 million for 2 years of FA.  That is insane.  I don't care how good you are.

The Angels should tell they want another two years if he wants the big contract.  If Trout doesn't want it, than tell his agent he will get 500 k this year and lets hope he doesn't get hurt.  You don't pay a guy fair market value while he has four years of club control unless he gives something back.....and that should be  years.

I would agree that guaranteeing him $150 mil (or anything close to that), for the next six seasons, would be a bad deal for the Angels.  However, if a 6-year, $150 mil extension were to start in 2015 (thus buying out three free agent years), then I think the deal becomes fair for both sides.  It all comes down to whether we are getting two years or three years of free agency.

I would agree that guaranteeing him $150 mil (or anything close to that), for the next six seasons, would be a bad deal for the Angels.  However, if a 6-year, $150 mil extension were to start in 2015 (thus buying out three free agent years), then I think the deal becomes fair for both sides.  It all comes down to whether we are getting two years or three years of free agency.

As I just posted, your scenario makes it better.  However, I would still want a seventh year.........

As I just posted, your scenario makes it better.  However, I would still want a seventh year.........

It would still kind of be a seven-year deal (from this point forward, at least), in that we would have Trout for the next four years of club control, plus three free agent years.

Of course, all of this is speculation at this point.  Who knows what is actually being discussed.

I agree.  The Angels should try to have this deal end when Trout is 30 years old.  That is still young enough for Trout to get a monster contract for his 30's and it gives the Angels what should be Trout's best years.  Of course, when Trout is ready for that big contract for his 30's, I hope the Angels give it to him.