• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing 6yr extension with Mike Trout - Yahoo

bloodbrother

Gotta think his agent wanted to keep it on the shorter end. Halos could also be looking ahead to the 2nd extension(wher e they really gotta pay him a ton). By that point, they'll have Hamilton, Weav and CJ's contracts off the books. This 6 yr deal gives them a good idea of what to do payroll wise going forward and setting it up to where they can then give Trout the inevitable $30+ mill a year deal he'll get

just in the honor of pujols, hamilton, etc, I think its the 3rd contract the angels give him where they really have to pay. Right around when hes 35.

That's one year less than I thought they might get, and right around the price per year. It sounds to me as if they are close to a deal. It would not surprise me however to see the Angels end up with a seven year deal at around 25-27 mil a year.   

I think its a good plan. The incentive for him is the possibility for him to get another huge contract in his late 20's, and i would rather pay for most of his 20's than his 30's like Pujols. but then again Pujols is really probably 39 right now.

Why stop at 39, why not 79 or 89? It is pretty remarkable the things Albert can do on one foot considering he is 109 years old.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

Source: #Angels’ desire is to sign Trout to 7-year contract in $150M-$160M range. Sides discussing 6-year, $150M deal, per @JeffPassan.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

Difference between #Angels and Trout does not appear to be significant. Trout would become free agent at 28 if 6-yr deal, at 29 if 7 yrs.

This team is just so unsettled. The stadium lease, the stadium infrastructure, the threat to move to Tustin or Irvine, the poor performances by two of the highest paid players in MLB and the pitching is still a huge question mark.

They're now in a win now situation and when you combine that with a tight budget the margin for error is little. Mike Trout can't do it all by himself so I wonder if any one sided opt out or no trade clauses will be included in the deal.

This is where they need to go all out in Latin America, in building the farm, and in not trading good prospects away. Do that, and they may just have the strong org needed by the late 2010's to convince him to stay.

They need to get more involved in Latin America for sure, but it's not that easy anymore. Teams can't just spend as much as they want any more and every team is trying to build their farm with Latin American prospects.

I think as arbitration numbers go.  Ryan Howard is still the one that got most (for a position player) in bought out arbitration years.  I think it was $15/$19/$20.  

If memory serves me (usually wrong) Lincecum was bought out of one arbitration years at $18 million, with an added $22 million for a second year.  

Kershaw had one year before FA'cy at $4 million but every year after that is $30 million+.

So if you go $5/$17/$19/$21 for the arbitration + 1 years, $30 and $35 for the FA'cy years.  That gets to $127 million, add a $13 million signing and you are at $140.  I don't know if $150 is pushing it, because you really don't want to bloat those arbitration numbers up too much because it will already be the new precedence that every arbitration player will compare themselves to.

Since your the local arb expert, how much do you think he would get in arb numbers total if he doesn't sign a contract extension of any type?

14/21/28 would seem to be in the park for his three arb years. 

that seems about right.  plus the 1mil or so for this year, they probably have 65mil max for the next four years.  If they go 6/150, that's 42.5aav for his free agent seasons they are buying out.  I really think that has to be wrong unless his agent initiated conversations with the thought that Trout wants to play on the east coast and has little intention of staying unless the halos really make it worth his while. 

Since your the local arb expert, how much do you think he would get in arb numbers total if he doesn't sign a contract extension of any type?

I think it's a tough call.  Before Howard signed the contract, the numbers were $14 million vs $18 million.  But you also have to take into account that Howard won arb 2 at $10 million vs $7 million.  There is really no comparison for outfielders.  So just going off what Howard did.

In 2006, year 1.  Howard won an MVP

2006 a 1.084 OPS

Got $0.9 million.  Record for player with less than 2 years service

2007 a .976 OPS

won arb 2 $10 million

2008 .822 OPS

$18 vs $14 arb figures.  signed a 3/$54

Trout

2012 a .963 OPS runner up MVP

2013 a .989 OPS runner up MVP

A lot can happen in 2014.  Just like in any year.  And it's tough comparing to Howard because he was a super 2.  I can see a $15 vs $20 if Trout continues and you compare to Howards year 4 contract.  But I can also see a $10 vs a $15, because Howard got the bump from his super 2 contract for year 4.