• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing 6yr extension with Mike Trout - Yahoo

bloodbrother

Again, we don't know if the Halos tried to get more years or not or if Trout's agent nixed the possibility of 8+ yrs. In any case, it could perhaps just be the Halos showing good faith/rewarding Trout with hopes of keeping him happy and improving their chances of keeping him from ever leaving. It's like them saying "here's your gift for now....and you'll get an even better one if you keep this up"

I absolutely would prefer a longer deal, but I will be happy to take him for as many years as he is comfortable signing with us. We can't really force him to sign any contract. My issue is if we don't start to win and he has already been paid then what is his incentive to re up in six years.

@JeffPassan: Guesstimated breakdown for Trout going by 6/$150M template:

2014: $2M+$10M bonus

2015: $13M

2016: $22M

2017: $30M

2018: $35M

2019: $38M

I just don't understand paying him that kind of money for his club controlled and arb years.  With that scenario, you are paying him about 15mil more than you are obligated to for the first four years and then you are giving him current FA market value AAV for the two FA years.  I honestly think there is a year missing in that. 

I just don't understand paying him that kind of money for his club controlled and arb years.  With that scenario, you are paying him about 15mil more than you are obligated to for the first four years and then you are giving him current FA market value AAV for the two FA years.  I honestly think there is a year missing in that. 

I don't get paying that without in turn getting more of his FA years.   I mean -- keep him til he's 29 at least.

Desperately? I don't think so. Plus Morales worked out in addition to Tex being dead money in New York.

We all worried about Weaver and the guy signed for half of what he could have gotten. So I guess now we have to worry about Trout for the next six years?

They offered Tex 8/160 before he signed in New York.

I would say that qualifies as "desperately wanting to re-sign" him

Pay him $3 million in 2014, and then agree on the 6 year/$150 million deal after 2014 when Wells and Blanton come off the books.

He would still only be 29 starting the next contract.

Nine year deal (matching first nine seasons for the Halos) would then take him to 37 starting year nine.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Again, we don't know if the Halos tried to get more years or not or if Trout's agent nixed the possibility of 8+ yrs. In any case, it could perhaps just be the Halos showing good faith/rewarding Trout with hopes of keeping him happy and improving their chances of keeping him from ever leaving. It's like them saying "here's your gift for now....and you'll get an even better one if you keep this up"

The 6 year length has to be coming from Trout and his agent otherwise if you're the Angels, why do 6/150 when you can do 8/200 or 10/250, just more years at the same AAV?

I think teams are starting to be scared of offering big money contracts to players at the age of 30. I think agents are realizing this and part of the reason Trout wants to be a FA at 28. Sacrificing a little bit in the front end to get a mega-deal at 28 is probably the game-plan.

I also believe that our signings of Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton have played a major part in their reluctance - not to mention the Vernon Wells debacle.

I can see that Trout might not want to lock himself in to a longer-term deal, with the hope of getting an even bigger payoff later. Of course, he runs the risk of getting only a fraction of that if he develops injury problems or his skills decline.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Would have preferred 8 years 190-200m buying out 4 extra years past club control. Trout could still get a mega contract at 30 years old, no reason why we shouldn't be pushing really hard for an 8 year contract.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how committed he believes the Angels are to winning.  Maybe Arte's resistance in going over the CBT threshold has cast a little doubt in Trout's mind.

I can't imagine they are going to extend him starting this year.  That just wouldn't make any sense.  They are going to pay him a max of 60mil over the next four years so they are buying those two FA years for 45mil per?  That would actually be pretty silly.  I think they renew him this year and the extension starts next year so it would be buying out 3 FA years meaning that the AAV for those years would be about 30mil.  Add an option year of 35mil with a 10mil buyout and he is locked for 8 years. 

I think this is what we're doing. No way the contract counts for this year, Blanton + Wells are still on the hook and we're too close to the luxury tax (and we would also ruin our chances at trading mid-season for a pitcher). Give Trout a 2-3m raise this year, and have this 6 year/150m contract start at 2015 with an option in 2021 that covers his FA AAV (35 million). 

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Desperately? I don't think so. Plus Morales worked out in addition to Tex being dead money in New York.

We all worried about Weaver and the guy signed for half of what he could have gotten. So I guess now we have to worry about Trout for the next six years?

Yeah -- offering 180 million and pitching a fit when he went to the NYY wasn't an indication of how much they wanted him at all.    You can argue semantics and level desperation all you want, but Tex is a guy they wanted to keep and weren't able to. Weaver and worrying about Trout for 6 years -- I was pretty confident Weaver wasn't going anywhere and I'll leave the worrying about Trout to others.