• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Angels might have to lean heavily on bullpen

AngelsWin.com

The Angels' rotation includes three youngsters who have potential but who aren't accustomed to 200-inning major league seasons. Bullpen depth will be important.

TEMPE, Ariz. — The blueprint worked in 2002, when the Angels won a World Series title with a competent but hardly overpowering rotation and a deep and dominant bullpen led by Troy Percival, Brendan Donnelly and Francisco Rodriguez.8uWzPAl8CsY

View the full article

And in other breaking news, it's hot in Vegas during the Summer, water is wet, and pigs still can't fly.

If you weren't aware of this at the end of last year, let alone since December, you can't call yourself an Angels fan. This team is built with a rotation, no matter how hard you try to spin it.

The phrase Tanana, Ryan and three days of cryin' comes to mind with this team. Maybe Wilson, Weaver and three days of shiverin'.

Call me a skeptic eric, but im not sold.

I love the potential richards, santiago and skaggs bring. But I am almost certain they will all have growing pains. And the growing pains will likely coincide with the normal decline of weaver and wilson.

Last year we thought we would be good with weaver and wilson (and vargas), and it got ugly very quickly.

I dont think any of us dont think the team has a chance. Im sold that they are a very real contender for a wild card spot if everything goes right.

Its the odds of everything going right that has most of us worried I think.

This team's bullpen should never be compared to the 2002 pen.

Ever

The 2002 Angels didn't open with that bullpen either...

Donkey did start the season with the Angels filling in for someone but after three appearances he was gone until the team's 68th game.   Shields first appearance was in the team's 65th game.   Krod's first game was the team's 152nd game of the season.

Tell you who was in the BP to start the year..  Dennis Cook, Donne Wall, and Mark Lukaseiwicz...

Edited by Inside Pitch

The 2002 Angels didn't open with that bullpen either...

Donkey did start the season with the Angels filling in for someone but after three appearances he was gone until the team's 68th game.   Shields first appearance was in the team's 65th game.   Krod's first game was the team's 152nd game of the season.

Tell you who was in the BP to start the year..  Dennis Cook, Donne Wall, and Mark Lukaseiwicz...

Dipoto is no Stoneman.

I love the potential richards, santiago and skaggs bring. But I am almost certain they will all have growing pains. And the growing pains will likely coincide with the normal decline of weaver and wilson.

And none of this concerns me as much as the thought of Joe Blanton getting anywhere near the rotation.

Dipoto is no Stoneman.

Except that Donkey, Shields, and K-Rod were in-house additions from the farm. There are two intriguing guys in the current farm system in Morin and Alvarez, plus the forever waiting Berg.

Yep, Alvarez will start out at AA in 2014. So did K-Rod in 2002, AND was just starting his career as a reliever after being a starter in High-A ball in 2001. His breaking pitch and velocity are reminiscent of K-Rod in 2002.

Morin's change (along with Joe Smith) has the potential to mesh real well with the hard throwers in the pen.

Edited by Angel Oracle

it's conceivable that the pen is very good this year.  Frieri, Burnett, Smith and DDLR are all capable of missing bats to the tune of a sub 3 era.  In addition, you've got a whole slew of other guys who have some potential.  Most aren't likely to be all that effective but even if a couple do well, it could be a nice surprise.  Jepsen, Kohn, Roth, Rasmus, Boshers, Carson, Maronde, Moran, Salas, Shoemaker, Lyon, Morin, Rapada, and a few others.  A couple of those guys should pan out. 

Most probably though, they'll be average. 

Most probably though, they'll be average. 

Yup.

Not to poo on your point or your positivity because I appreciate your posts but the bullpen coming through and doing their jobs has been a hope for several years around these parts, Doc. I know you know that. And trust me, I hope for the same as you. But as far as depending on them? It sure doesn't seem like we've been able to do that for years now.

A nice surprise from guys like Frieri, Jepsen and Kohn would be great, but considering the track record "heavily leaning" on our bullpen doesn't sound like a blueprint for success.

We need guys that can hold freakin' leads! Weav must have missed out on 5+ W's last season due to crappy bullpen performance. Losing those games hurts.

As I recall, though, different from what the article says, the Angels didn't rely heavily on K-Rod until just before the playoffs started and not for the season. In fact, he wasn't even K-Rod back then, just a kid named Francisco Rodriguez who really broke on the scene during the playoffs. 

The phrase Tanana, Ryan and three days of cryin' comes to mind with this team. Maybe Wilson, Weaver and three days of shiverin'.

“Wilson, Weav then Grieve”

The way it's looking so far, I think this scenario has better odds of panning out than the hope of three youngsters coming through as solid 200 inning pitchers. We'll see.