• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yikes....That ESPN Magazine blogger is a little harsh on our Angels

Ohtaniland

The moment I saw that author's name and the "Anaheim Angels of Anaheim" reference I remembered this article posted last year:   http://www.ocweekly.com/2013-09-12/news/arte-moreno-angels-anaheim/

He wrote something on the Tustin move a few days ago as well.  It opened with the line "It's now officially the silly season for your Anaheim Angels of Anaheim, as owner Arte Moreno is now acting like the billionaire baby he is."

His work is like junior high newspaper-level quality.  How does this guy have such a visible platform?

The knee-jerk reactions defending the franchise are worse, in my opinion. The truth is that the franchise has been sinking for five years. There are glimmers of hope, with Servais' approach, Arte's abstinence of a Big Bellyflop Splash this offseason and Dipoto's overall solid transactions this offseason, but let's not blindly defend them yet - the organization has been in shambles for years now.

Rather than argue whether the franchise is the worst or not, I'd rather see them prove ESPN wrong. Quite frankly the Angels don't deserve to be defended. They need to earn that back.

Edited by Angelsjunky

The knee-jerk reactions defending the franchise are worse, in my opinion. The truth is that the franchise has been sinking for five years. There are glimmers of hope, with Servais' approach, Arte's abstinence of a Big Bellyflop Splash this offseason and Dipoto's overall solid transactions this offseason, but let's not blindly defend them yet - the organization has been in shambles for years now.

Rather than argue whether the franchise is the worst or not, I'd rather see them prove ESPN wrong. Quite frankly the Angels don't deserve to be defended. They need to earn that back.

Please, you think that was a well written, well reasoned article by a good journalist?

Did I say that? No. I don't care about the article either way but feel that knee-jerk reactions are misguided and somewhat telling, meaning what he said hit too close to home.

But that is the point.  I don't think anyone here is arguing that the franchise hasn't been down the last few years, but this guy is writing as if he has a personal vendetta against Arte and the Angels.

If he had written something remotely near a balanced article, you wouldn't have this reaction.  He sounds like Arte kicked his dog.....a few hundred times.

Did I say that? No. I don't care about the article either way but feel that knee-jerk reactions are misguided and somewhat telling, meaning what he said hit too close to home.

Actually, a lot of the reactions are more to the quality of the article as opposed to defending the halos.  I think we can all agree that this club lacked direction at the major league level for a couple of years with some bad decisions and unlucky ones to boot. 

The one thing that the author didn't really acknowledge is a general recognition of the problem and that the plan to fix it has essentially been implemented.  To rebuild the entire core of the franchise takes time.  The big money deals were to bridge a gap.  The idea had some merit although it was a bit misguided.  Honestly, I'd rather be where we are as opposed to the phils

The other thing to keep in mind is that the perception is very much based on how high we were recently.  Ex.  the White sox farm and mlb team is terrible.  They are going nowhere fast.  How are we worse than them?  Because we were recently much better.