• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Let's talk potential trading partners

Llewyn Davis

These are teams that have a need for a second baseman (something we have a glut of with Kendrick, Lindsey, Yarbrough, and Green) and/or OF/1B/DH (Borenstein/Cron)

1) The Marlins are always re-tooling. They're going to use old man Furcal at 2B this year. Obviously, he's not a long-term option. He may not even be a short-term option with his inability to stay on the field. And at 1B they're trotting out Garrett Jones, who is average to below average. Stanton will leave the first chance he gets. Once Stanton is gone, Yelich will be the only OF who stands out. Not a believer in Marisnick or Ozuna. Borenstein and Cron would be a good fit, and they desperately need a real 2B.

2) The Blue Jays are starting Maicer Izturis at 2B. Let that sink in for a second. Huge hole at 2B for them. Adam Lind is only so-so as well.

3) The Mariners are set at 2B now. However, Smoak is a below average first baseman. Hart is a question mark coming back from an injury. And their OF of Ackley, Morrison, and Saunders might be the worst in all of baseball.

4) The Mets have a lot of holes. Daniel Murphy gets the job done at 2B, but Ike Davis is garbage and their OF is incredibly weak. Borenstein and Cron would fill two needs for them.

5) The Pirates have Neil Walker at 2B, and he's decent. But Gaby Sanchez at 1B is just asking for trouble. They have some nice pitching prospects, too. We probably couldn't pry away Taillon or Glasnow from them. But Nick Kingham is a possibility.

6) The Brewers have some glaring needs. Scooter Gennett is a Craig Counsel type, nothing special. Rickie Weeks sucks. Mark Reynolds is their 1B now. Yeah, good luck with that, Brew Crew. 

7) The Yankees come to mind. They just lost Cano and replaced him with... Kelly Johnson, who hasn't had a good season since 2010. They also have Teixeira at first base and Soriano at DH. Teixeira's best years are behind him, and he'll be 34 this season. Soriano is old. Sooner or later, he'll hit a wall.

8) The Padres will probably look to deal Headley before the trade deadline this year, and when that happens Gyorko will move from 2B to 3B, creating a hole for them. Yonder Alonso at 1B has below average power. Carlos Quentin is only good for 80 or so games a year. They would definitely have a need for Borenstein, Cron, and any of our 2B. Plus, they currently have more pitching depth than they know what to do with. Max Wisler is blocked. Would love to get him. Burch Smith is an intriguing option. Wouldn't mind getting their SS prospect Jace Peterson, who is blocked by Everth Cabrera.

9) The White Sox have got to be frustrated with what Beckham has done for them at 2B, considering what their expectations were for him. They have some capable options in Marcus Semien and perhaps Micah Johnson, but who knows what their plans are or where those two will wind up in the field? There is a bit of a logjam with Abreu, Dunn, and Konerko, but Dunn and Konerko will each be gone after this season. Hell, Dunn might even be traded during the season. They've been searching for a power-hitting lefty for a long time. Borenstein would fit the bill, and their OF is pretty weak. Plus, Borenstein is a home town kid.

10) The A's aren't the ideal trading partner, since they're a division rival, but Callaspo at 2B and Jaso at DH spells trouble for them. They also have a lot of pitching depth. We'd probably wind up strengthening their team, but at the same time if the trade went right we'd strengthen our team as well. Could be a push in the long run.

11) I could see the Rockies as a trade partner. DJ LeMahieu has no upside, and Rutledge fell flat on his face last year. Looks like there is a position battle between them right now. Rutledge is intriguing, but the fact that there is even a position battle going on shows you the confidence they have in him. The Rockies are also using Morneau at 1B, and his days of being above average are over. Cron is the type of player who would really benefit from playing at Coors.

Edited by Llewyn Davis

No one is going to trade for a secondbaseman till after the all star break.  By then, the Marlins, Blue Jays, Mariners, Mets, Brewers, Padres, White Sox, and Rockies will probably be out of it.  

And by that time, the Yankees, Pirates and A's may then look at Drew.  Although the Yanks may sign him soon.  

If Cron is traded, it would be to an AL team. He can't cut it as a full time first baseman.

Orioles could be a good landing spot for Howie if the Angels were out of it late in the season. Schoop isn't quite ready yet and the O's are a fringe contender who could use the boost at 2nd. They currently have guys like Weeks and Flaherty who just aren't very good.

If Cron is traded, it would be to an AL team. He can't cut it as a full time first baseman.

Orioles could be a good landing spot for Howie if the Angels were out of it late in the season. Schoop isn't quite ready yet and the O's are a fringe contender who could use the boost at 2nd. They currently have guys like Weeks and Flaherty who just aren't very good.

Agreed, The Orioles could definitely use an upgrade at 2B. Good catch.

JD did trade Wells mid spring training.

Also picked up DDR and another RP the last week of ST last year I believe

It wouldn't surprise me if JD made a move during ST

So Llewyn I also did speculate about this before the trade deadline last year: http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/trade-candidate-howie-kendrick.html and some of those teams have filled their 2nd base holes.

However I still feel like a Spring Training trade, as Nando suggested, is possible. We've handed out a lot of Spring Training invites to MIF's and I could still see one of Kendrick or Aybar being traded before the season starts.

The only real viable teams that need a 2nd baseman still are the Blue Jays and the Orioles. Considering the fact that the O's just acquired Ubaldo probably, as some news reports suggest, that someone like Britton might be on the trade block. A Kendrick-Britton based trade might be a possibility if we want to improve our starting pitching depth. It is likely that the Angels want to see how prepared Lindsey is in early Spring Training before they would even consider pulling the trigger.

On the other end if we were to move Aybar the Mets might be interested instead of paying for a FA like Drew. An Aybar-Montero based trade would have value for the Angels and then you could platoon Romine-McDonald for instance.

You mention several teams with needs at first base, yet we have no surplus to deal, since obviously nobody will be foolish enough to take on the Pujols contract. I could see Kendrick being traded, but our primary need is pitching and he wouldn't bring much in that department. Dipoto couldn't even get a straight-up deal for Santiago done with the White Sox, so that ought to give you a point of reference as far as his market value. He won't fetch a difference-maker for the rotation. We don't match up well with the Yankees, because many question that they have enough pitching as it is. They aren't going to be trading it. They have a lot of holes and nothing of consequence to offer - at least not anyone they would deal.

You mention several teams with needs at first base, yet we have no surplus to deal, since obviously nobody will be foolish enough to take on the Pujols contract. I could see Kendrick being traded, but our primary need is pitching and he wouldn't bring much in that department. Dipoto couldn't even get a straight-up deal for Santiago done with the White Sox, so that ought to give you a point of reference as far as his market value. He won't fetch a difference-maker for the rotation. We don't match up well with the Yankees, because many question that they have enough pitching as it is. They aren't going to be trading it. They have a lot of holes and nothing of consequence to offer - at least not anyone they would deal.

For the 37292738 time, you mean Quintana, not Santiago lol :)

How much longer are the braves on the hook with uggla? If he has another sub par season, they might be looking for a 2B, and im sure they have more than a few arms that could be available for the right price.

That was my thought as well, but I did some digging and it turns out they have a replacement lined up. For those of you in fantasy leagues, remember the name Tommy La Stella. Big time sleeper, but he's hit at every level. Think Daniel Nava at second base, only with a little more upside.

"6) The Brewers have some glaring needs. Scooter Gennett is a Craig Counsel type, nothing special. Rickie Weeks sucks. Mark Reynolds is their 1B now. Yeah, good luck with that, Brew Crew." 

23-year old second baseman that hit .324/.356/.479 (.834 OPS) with a 125 OPS+ in his first 69 games of his career, he might not be special but let's give the kid time before making any statements. Speaking of getting ahead of ourselves...                                               

The Angels don't have anything of value to trade outside of Kendrick and they need pitching.

I don't think you mentioned a pitcher in your entire post.

Read it again, then. Because there are five I mentioned in there. And I said a few organizations had a lot of pitching depth. Just because I'm not naming pitchers doesn't mean they don't exist and aren't attainable.