• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Synthetic Oil Blend (Car)

Check the web or your manual. I think you are fine with regular oil.

Some gear head can probably explain it better or correct me, but the difference between the two is viscosity. Synthetic can withstand higher heat so for a standard vehicle, like I believe yours falls under, synthetic isn't needed unless you simply wanted to go longer between oil changes.

I've never heard of switching to synthetic and needing to stick with it.

I don't think you need it as much as they are trying to up sell you.

Edit: Just reread. A blend is a mix of standard oil and synthetic. I'd recommend this if you burn a lot of oil, but don't think your car has that issue. Just do standard and do so during your normal intervals. You don't need synthetic unless your car requires it....like most German cars.

Edited by Brandon

These are just rough numbers pulled out of memory, but at the Jiffy Lube I go to the price breakdown is something like this:

Standard oil costs X

Blend costs X+50%

Full synthetic costs X+75%

For me, the synthetic oil lasts for more than twice the mileage as standard, so it is much more economical to go that route.

My car is a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5L.  Small displacement, aluminum block, so the synthetic is actually recommended because of it's ability to withstand higher temperatures.

Standard oil, subjected to the same sustained high temps, breaks down much faster, hence the lower amount of miles you can do between changes.

The best place to buy synthetic motor oil is Walmart. 

It is by far cheaper to purchase it there.  Mobil 1 is the best synthetic and runs about $25-27 for a 5 quart jug.  Pennzoil Platinum is just as good.  The last time I compared prices with Autozone and Costco, they were $10 more expensive for the same amount of oil. 

Walmart sells their own brand of synthetic oil for approx $20 for 5 quarts.  The oil nerds at www.bobistheoilguy.com have tested this oil and found it to be very good, not quite as good as Mobil 1, but among the best. 

The best place to buy synthetic motor oil is Walmart. 

It is by far cheaper to purchase it there.  Mobil 1 is the best synthetic and runs about $25-27 for a 5 quart jug.  Pennzoil Platinum is just as good.  The last time I compared prices with Autozone and Costco, they were $10 more expensive for the same amount of oil. 

Walmart sells their own brand of synthetic oil for approx $20 for 5 quarts.  The oil nerds at www.bobistheoilguy.com have tested this oil and found it to be very good, not quite as good as Mobil 1, but among the best. 

This is correct.

My Audi is a burner and I pick up quarts from here when needed. A lot cheaper.

I agree. But when you physically can't fit under your vehicle, you pay what you have to.

Hell, my 3 Porsches at my beach house have more clearance underneath them than my Mazda.

That is why I bought a floor jack and jack stands. Most cars don't have enough clearance to get under them without using either a jack or ramps.