• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Capuano off the board

WallyWorld

lol @ you comparing the Angels' SP situation to the Cardinals or any other of the top teams.  Not even close.

You've been beating the 'Dipoto will find another guy' drum for weeks now.  The again, you also considered Mulder a viable option, and were SURE (are you still sure?) that Blanton wouldn't pitch a single inning for the Angels in 2014.  I don't know what to tell you.  People see what they want to see I guess.

I never compared the Angels talent in their rotation to the Cardinals, I was talking about depth and leaning on young pitching like they have with Wacha, Kelly and Miller, like we need to do with Skaggs, Santiago, Richards and Shoemaker.

They made an offer to Garza, Matt facked that up. They expected Mulder to provide depth behind the guys I mentioned, he got hurt. There are still a bunch of starting pitchers out there without a job, some recently have taken minor league deals, most of which who are available will most likely do the same.

I am honestly disappointed with the lack of depth that has been created for this team.  They have had multiple opportunities to improve the team in that realm even if only to create some level of redundancy in the 6, 7, 8, SP positions.....

If they succeed with this current setup, it won't be because it was the right way to do it but because they got very lucky. 

+1....I like the Trumbo trade but it wasn't enough...If DiPoto thinks he has enough depth at this point, we're in trouble and he's in trouble as GM...

+1....I like the Trumbo trade but it wasn't enough...If DiPoto thinks he has enough depth at this point, we're in trouble and he's in trouble as GM...

He knows it, and has publicly said as much.

I would much rather he waited for the right move, than just make a move for the sake of making one.

Also, as stated earlier, players might not all be salivating to come to Anaheim, even though everyone around here seems to think that all  players will be totally ecstatic and jump at any chance to come here. Hard to believe I know, but these guys have choices and options. We have no idea who Dipoto has tried, and failed to attract.

I know that Dipoto has said publicly that he is happy with this group of pitchers going into spring training, but what else is he going to say? Would it not give pitchers leverage if he came out and said we are in need of another arm or two? I think it is all said to give confidence to the guys you have. I am pretty sure he knows he should be in the market for another arm.

This thread has convinced me we need to sign Saunders. certainly he can perform what Mulder might have if everything went right. 

it's purely subjective, but i would have bet that mulder put up slightly better than league avg numbers if healthy. saunders? not so much.

unfortunately, we'll never know.

Edited by ukyah

I know that Dipoto has said publicly that he is happy with this group of pitchers going into spring training, but what else is he going to say? Would it not give pitchers leverage if he came out and said we are in need of another arm or two? I think it is all said to give confidence to the guys you have. I am pretty sure he knows he should be in the market for another arm.

"We're confident in the guys we have already, but we would like to add some insurance to back those guys up"

Not that hard. Doesn't downplay your confidence in your current arms either.

As far as being pretty sure he knows he should be in the market for another arm: Based on what?

Nothing he has done or said this offseason has indicated he's aware of that fact. And now he's largely left with not even the scrap heap. It's largely the stuff that's left after everyone else has already dug through the scrap heap.

And at this point, his entire track record as Angels' GM is full of the same issue: He talks up the importance of pitching depth, but when it comes to his actions, he's shown zero appreciation for the importance of pitching depth at any point in his tenure.

Teams like the Red Sox or Cardinals, or even the Dodgers have built their rotations 8 or 9 deep. The Angels are basically what...Shoemaker,  the corpses of Blanton and Wade LeBlanc, and whatever the hell a "Justin Thomas" or a "Jarrett Grube" is behind the starting 5? And that's no different than last year. Or the year before. Just different has beens and never will bes.

If he hasn't picked up the hint by now, especially when his job could very well be on the line based on this season, I'm not confident that he's ever going to catch the clue.

I wonder how Scott Servais would do as GM...

Edited by jshep

Based on the fact that this is what he does for a living. For you or me to assume he isn't more in tune with the needs and abilities of his team, the one he works with and works on day in and day out is pretty presumptuous on our part. As far as nothing he has done in his tenure says he understands the importance of pitching depth, I agree with you at the major league level. But last year all he did was draft pitchers and the same goes for the 2012 draft. You mention his job is on the line, I completely agree with you on that, which is another reason I find it hard to believe he isn't looking for options that might come via a trade. As far as Servais, I mentioned that in a thread yesterday or the day before that he very well could be the guy they call upon if he they decide a change is needed. I for one, think a GM needs more than three years to really make his impact on a team, especially if he has a different philosophy than the manager.

I wish it leaned more towards defense and fundamentals...but that's just me.

I know you're just sorta goofing and don't care for the guy which is fine, I'm not trying to pop you for it.  But it's inane to argue he not shown a particular philosophy.  

MS is pretty much a pitching first guy.  All he ever talks about is adding more and more pitching.  Even the off-season when Pujols was added he was quoted at the winter meetings as saying he was hoping the team would add arms.  Shortly after the Trumbo trade he was interviewed and he went on record as saying that if a team has 8 SPs they want 9 if they have 12 they want 13.  He's also always preached defense.  Historically the Angels have always been pretty sound defensively, he's put such a premium on defense that he's been criticized for it at times, particularly at catcher.  Then there is the stupid annoying BS like the automatic squeeze play on every play ever, including when nobody is on base.

Not liking his philosophy is one thing, to say he lacks one is just wrong.

Id pay money for JD to have some sort of choke chain device he could put on MS that triggers anytime he calls for the contact play.

And as the #7 starter he's still going to get more starts than he should be getting.

The only starting depth worth potentially giving 2 shits about in Tempe this point is Shoemaker.

And most of the guys left that might take minor league deals either are hurt or suck. The Angels missed out on some of the best options there too.

Dipoto has ****ed up badly here. Again.

He seems to have done this every year he's been here. He's stubborn and refuses to learn from his mistakes.

Defense has been an issue of late, especially last season. Situational approach at the plate has been sorely lacking also.

People will say that players should know how to play the game fundamentally, when they get to this level...but I'll contend that players still need it stressed, reinforced, and re-drilled at any level, including this one.

Hopefully Scioscia will concentrate on these things, rather than his "make it fun" attitude that people have found entertaining to talk about in Angel's camps, as he has run them in the past. Maybe a more focused and rigorous ST will translate into a more "win determined" team in April and May....

What he has been doing hasn't worked very well lately, in having this team ready to start he season.

The first time I hear "Turn the page" this year...I'm going to scream.

I know you're just sorta goofing and don't care for the guy which is fine, I'm not trying to pop you for it.  But it's inane to argue he not shown a particular philosophy.  

MS is pretty much a pitching first guy.  All he ever talks about is adding more and more pitching.  Even the off-season when Pujols was added he was quoted at the winter meetings as saying he was hoping the team would add arms.  Shortly after the Trumbo trade he was interviewed and he went on record as saying that if a team has 8 SPs they want 9 if they have 12 they want 13.  He's also always preached defense.  Historically the Angels have always been pretty sound defensively, he's put such a premium on defense that he's been criticized for it at times, particularly at catcher.  Then there is the stupid annoying BS like the automatic squeeze play on every play ever, including when nobody is on base.

Not liking his philosophy is one thing, to say he lacks one is just wrong.

Id pay money for JD to have some sort of choke chain device he could put on MS that triggers anytime he calls for the contact play.

scioscia's philosophy is pitching first?  i dont think that can be his philosophy since every manager in baseball wants pitching first.  philosophy is something more peculiar. 

scioscia's teams are more known for wildly running around the bases with no perception of what or where they are going while looking like a bunch of goofballs who could care less if they get thrown out or not.  then they return to the dugout to receive high 5's and pats on the back as if they did a good job.  i think they went something like 25 straight games where they had at least 1 runner thrown out on the bases last year, it has gotten completely out of hand the last few years.

scioscia's philosophy is pitching first?  i dont think that can be his philosophy since every manager in baseball wants pitching first.  philosophy is something more peculiar. 

scioscia's teams are more known for wildly running around the bases with no perception of what or where they are going while looking like a bunch of goofballs who could care less if they get thrown out or not.  then they return to the dugout to receive high 5's and pats on the back as if they did a good job.  i think they went something like 25 straight games where they had at least 1 runner thrown out on the bases last year, it has gotten completely out of hand the last few years.

I think the pitching first philosophy is a lot closer to the truth than what you just barfed all over this thread