• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Capuano off the board

WallyWorld

Yeah I liked Hughes and Baker, not so much Capuno.

Damn, I think we'd have Garza if it wasn't for him being on vacation. Oh well, probably for the best. He seems like he's a dick after further review.

Baker just seemed like a perfect guy to go after, especially on a minor league deal. Hughes can eat innings and moving to Angels Stadium should've helped his home run problems a bit. 

Dipoto has to have something up his sleeve right? It just seems like he's making the same mistake as last year with the rotation depth. I would feel WAY more comfortable if Shoemaker was the 7th option and Blanton was the 8th option. 

Capuano would've been nothing more than a 4th question mark.

I'd say that isn't true. You pretty much know what you are going to get from him at this point. Nothing good, to be sure, but nothing terrible either. He would have given the team another option to go to if someone gets hurt in spring or completely sucks. The Angels are one injury away from Blanton starting the year in the rotation.

I thought guys like Hughes and Capuano were good value guys but I agree on him passing up some of the pitchers. Passing Garza, Jimenez, Tanaka, etc. was fine by me.

Although I would have loved Scott Baker on a minor league deal. 

Baker would have been OK.

I have to think Dipo was "in" on him, and he decided to go elsewhere. Just maybe, the Angels aren't as attractive to players as we think they should be? Right now, the Angels might be a harder "sell"  than we imagine? Not exactly a stellar image the last few seasons.

I would have liked to add Balfour. I think  a real closer would  have added more to the overall pitching than any of the starters that we didn't land....but FA closers are a huge breakdown risk and Balfour isn't young. Always better to develop one in house.

Baker would have been OK.

I have to think Dipo was "in" on him, and he decided to go elsewhere. Just maybe, the Angels aren't as attractive to players as we think they should be? Right now, the Angels might be a harder "sell"  than we imagine? Not exactly a stellar image the last few seasons.

I would have liked to add Balfour. I think  a real closer would  have added more to the overall pitching than any of the starters that we didn't land....but FA closers are a huge breakdown risk and Balfour isn't young. Always better to develop one in house.

Yeah nobody knows if Dipoto is talking to these guys or not but I'd imagine he isn't making a very strong effort to go sign them.

Maybe the Trout extension really is the reason for him not signing anybody. 

Skaggs, Blanton, LeBlanc as depth is not even close to being the depth of a true contender. Neither is Skaggs, Blanton, Capuano. Signing mediocrity to garbage to replace mediocrity to garbage in the depth chart doesn't make sense and would be nothing more than a panic move. The Angels had pretty much nothing to work with in this year's market so they have been forced to stick with the crap they have.

Focus on extending Trout and address the pitching when worth while pitchers become available, which won't be until the ASB or 2015.

And the Cardinals need to go sign 2 or 3 hitters because their lineup isn't that of a contender.

/s

Halos should have signed him for that price. Guy has experience as a starter and as a reliever and has shown to be able to get lefties out

Good deal for Boston

$2.25 million is peanuts for the kind of experience Capuano brings to the table, beginning with his 209 career ML starts.

But we've got Skaggs, Santiago and Richards with 69 combined starts. 

Edited by fan_since79

Great news. JD is determined to see Skaggs get his full shot at the 5 spot. Tip of the cap to JD. Shoe is there if Skaggs can't cut it. That's great too. Shoe is better right now than Capuano. Blanton is only on the depth chart at 6 to possibly entice a late spring training package trade, (hopefully involving the team destroying Aybar). Shoe is the actual number 6. If Blanton can not be packaged or traded, he will be released. Shoemaker was more than simply a wow in his MLB debut last summer. FB solid and live  in the 91,92 range. Devastating splitter against lefties. Above average slider against righties. Occasional slow curve, to keep batters honest. Used those pitches 55% of the time and FB about 45%. Amazing 3.97 FIP pitching in the pitcher killing PCL. Led PCL in K's and led the ENTIRE MINORS IN IP. He is an absolute innings eating workhorse.  He is the real deal. Shoe deserves his shot. He has paid his dues.

That money needs to go to Trout. SHOCK THE WORLD ARTE  LOCK  MIKE TROUT, THE FACE OF THE ANGELS, THE ANGEL STAMP FOR YEARS AND YEARS

15 YEARS, 400 MIL..

GO FOR IT

I still think that, at least to begin the season, that the bullpen is a bigger ?? than the young starting rotation.

I would hate to see young guys like Richards and Skaggs pitch well thru 7 and have the pen give up late leads.

That could hurt them mentally AND tire them physically.

If we can get through the 1st half with this rotation, we can add to it by trade before the deadline. The young arms are going to tire,but they could-should get us though until we can  bring in reinforcements....IF the bullpen can hold teams in the late innings.

That's my thinking anyhow.

I am honestly disappointed with the lack of depth that has been created for this team.  They have had multiple opportunities to improve the team in that realm even if only to create some level of redundancy in the 6, 7, 8, SP positions.  Even if Blanton was part of the plan all along (which I now believe he was), you are relying on Shoemaker and LeBlanc as depth.  On top of the fact that you are entering the season with 3 guys slated for the rotation who have never pitched in a major league rotation for a full season. 

If they succeed with this current setup, it won't be because it was the right way to do it but because they got very lucky. 

Capuano/Maholm/Hammel etal are not more talented than any one of Richards, Santiago, or Skaggs but thats not why we need them.  It's because they are more talented than Blanton, Shoemaker and Wade LeBlanc.  

I really hope it works out as I will be cheering for it to, but don't be surprised if Jarret Grube is making the occasional spot start in June/July. 

I agree more depth would be good, but what if adding 3-4 mil now prevents us from trading for a better higher priced pitcher during the year, if the need develops.

It's tough to evaluate the lack of action without knowing the true budget constraints and the future plan.

If that's the case then shame on Arte for not going over to get the help we need mid season.