• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Capuano off the board

WallyWorld

This guy wouldn't translate into much of anything other than depth.

Would he really be any better than Skaggs, Richards or Santiago? Hell, I'd rather take my chances with Shoemaker or someone else than Capauno. Never understood the fascination with him on this board. Him and Maholm are the same guys!

Pass.

Chuck, I don't think the Angels are in a position to be picky at this point.  It's as much about quantity as it is quality. They need guys they know they can depend on every 5 days to be decent and not get shelled too badly.    Capuano might not be better than Skaggs, Richards or Santiago, but what happens when one or more of them gets hurt?  They have a real depth problem right now and you're kidding yourself if you don't agree.

Well we're going to need more than 5 or even 6 starters this year. And as of right now, that means we're getting Blantoned.

I really think Blanton is #7 on the depth chart, behind someone else in camp who emerges, whether it's Shoemaker or LeBlanc or someone else that emerges.

That and there's still a TON of arms out there to be had for a cheap minor league deal. Capuano wasn't worth 5 million IMHO.

Chuck, I don't think the Angels are in a position to be picky at this point.  It's as much about quantity as it is quality. They need guys they know they can depend on every 5 days to be decent and not get shelled too badly.    Capuano might not be better than Skaggs, Richards or Santiago, but what happens when one or more of them gets hurt?  They have a real depth problem right now and you're kidding yourself if you don't agree.

I'd rather have Shoemaker, who 3 months ago I posted that I would like to see him get the 5th spot.

I'm kidding no one.

And as the #7 starter he's still going to get more starts than he should be getting.

The only starting depth worth potentially giving 2 shits about in Tempe this point is Shoemaker.

And most of the guys left that might take minor league deals either are hurt or suck. The Angels missed out on some of the best options there too.

Dipoto has ****ed up badly here. Again.

Edited by jshep

I'd rather have Shoemaker, who 3 months ago I posted that I would like to see him get the 5th spot.

I'm kidding no one.

Chuck, if you really think Weaver/Wilson/Richards/Santiago/Shoemaker, with Skaggs, Blanton and LeBlanc as depth, is the SP rotation of a contender, I don't know what else to say.  I think you've lost touch with reality.

And as the #7 starter he's still going to get more starts than he should be getting.

The only starting depth worth potentially giving 2 shits about in Tempe this point is Shoemaker.

And most of the guys left that might take minor league deals either are hurt or suck. The Angels missed out on some of the best options there too.

Dipoto has ****ed up badly here.

Outside of your Jerry Dipoto comment, I don't disagree. I still think Dipoto will sign a guy or two for depth, at a minor league deal.

How is Jeff Niemann's arm/shoulder?

Chuck, if you really think Weaver/Wilson/Richards/Santiago/Shoemaker, with Skaggs, Blanton and LeBlanc as depth, is the SP rotation of a contender, I don't know what else to say.  I think you've lost touch with reality.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I think you're just hard up for more pitching depth because you're afraid of Joe Blanton, or you have ZERO faith that Skaggs, Santiago, Richards and Shoemaker will be even decent... We just need them to be, decent. Last year and the year before we got garbage from our guys. Haren/Santana and last year Blanton/Hanson.

Why don't you school me on the Cardinals depth outside of their starting 5 which are all young and if anything goes wrong for any of their guys, who steps in?

In fact, school me on every top 10 team heading into the season as far as depth is concerned in their rotation.

You need to trust your young pitchers sometimes, much like the successful Cardinals have done. I'm a firm believer that Skaggs and Santiago have #2 type stuff and can be really successful. Richards can be a good #3 and give us a 3.80-4.20 ERA. Shoemaker has NOTHING left to prove in the minors, especially after he has developed a very effective 4th pitch this past season in AAA.

Dipoto will still get another guy, but I'm LMFAO at you for crying about losing out on Capuano.

Not necessarily, but they're still question marks in my mind as starters for a full season. 

I don't like three question marks in my starting five.

In 2012 we had NO QUESTION MARKS and they sucked, outside of Weaver and the first half of CJ Wilson. The Cardinals had a ton of question marks heading into last season and they all performed well.

Chuck, I don't think Capuano is a great pitcher or anything but he seemed like a guy who could be serviceable and could pitch out of the pen too. 

I'm very optimistic with our starting 5. They should be around average or potentially above average. The biggest issue is the depth, clearly. What happens if Weaver or Wilson go down? Are you really comfortable relying on Blanton or Shoemaker for an extended period of time?

I'm just hopeful that Dipoto snags up some starters who get released in Spring Training. There is going to be around 100-150 innings that needs to be pitched from pitchers outside of the set rotation. 

In 2012 we had NO QUESTION MARKS and they sucked, outside of Weaver and the first half of CJ Wilson. The Cardinals had a ton of question marks heading into last season and they all performed well.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they do, because it really looks like we're standing pat as far as starters go.

I have faith in Dipoto to pull something off, if not in ST, early in the season. I have no issues with him passing on the pitchers he has passed on so far, and waiting for the right piece to become available.

I have MUCH less faith in Scioscia and Butcher effectively using what Dipoto gives them to work with.

I have faith in Dipoto to pull something off, if not in ST, early in the season. I have no issues with him passing on the pitchers he has passed on so far, and waiting for the right piece to become available.

I have MUCH less faith in Scioscia and Butcher effectively using what Dipoto gives them to work with.

I thought guys like Hughes and Capuano were good value guys but I agree on him passing up some of the pitchers. Passing Garza, Jimenez, Tanaka, etc. was fine by me.

Although I would have loved Scott Baker on a minor league deal. 

I thought guys like Hughes and Capuano were good value guys but I agree on him passing up some of the pitchers. Passing Garza, Jimenez, Tanaka, etc. was fine by me.

Although I would have loved Scott Baker on a minor league deal. 

Yeah I liked Hughes and Baker, not so much Capuno.

Damn, I think we'd have Garza if it wasn't for him being on vacation. Oh well, probably for the best. He seems like he's a dick after further review.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I think you're just hard up for more pitching depth because you're afraid of Joe Blanton, or you have ZERO faith that Skaggs, Santiago, Richards and Shoemaker will be even decent... We just need them to be, decent. Last year and the year before we got garbage from our guys. Haren/Santana and last year Blanton/Hanson.

Why don't you school me on the Cardinals depth outside of their starting 5 which are all young and if anything goes wrong for any of their guys, who steps in?

In fact, school me on every top 10 team heading into the season as far as depth is concerned in their rotation.

You need to trust your young pitchers sometimes, much like the successful Cardinals have done. I'm a firm believer that Skaggs and Santiago have #2 type stuff and can be really successful. Richards can be a good #3 and give us a 3.80-4.20 ERA. Shoemaker has NOTHING left to prove in the minors, especially after he has developed a very effective 4th pitch this past season in AAA.

Dipoto will still get another guy, but I'm LMFAO at you for crying about losing out on Capuano.

lol @ you comparing the Angels' SP situation to the Cardinals or any other of the top teams.  Not even close.

You've been beating the 'Dipoto will find another guy' drum for weeks now.  The again, you also considered Mulder a viable option, and were SURE (are you still sure?) that Blanton wouldn't pitch a single inning for the Angels in 2014.  I don't know what to tell you.  People see what they want to see I guess.

Blanton is fine for depth. The problem is that if multiple starters go down throughout the year then the amount of starts he gets increases. Having another guy to go to in those instances would be nice. Shoemaker is fine as an emergency starter but what if the team needs him for an entire month?