• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Talk about inflation

gotbeer

So we were all having discussions all offseason about what Trouts extension might look like.

Then MLBTraderumors posts this.

AL West Links: Cruz, Franklin, Trout, Russell

• A 10-year, $300MM contract for Mike Trout has often been cited as a possible extension for the young superstar, though MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez opines that Trout's representatives might take a lesser deal given that Trout still has four years until free agency and his stock could drop in the interim.  Also, a shorter deal would set Trout up for another massive contract later in his career.  Gonzalez suggests a seven-year, $200MM extension could work.  In my opinion, while the $200MM mark is a major threshold for any player, I'd guess the Angels would happily lock Trout up at that price.

It went from 10/$200 to either 10/$300 or 7/$200.  Figuring the 3 arb years will be $12/$16/$20 for a total of $48 million.  That would mean the 7 year deal is in the $38 million a year in free agency.  The 10 year deal is in the $36 million a year in free agency.

I think some of the numbers being floated are a little absurd.  Keep in mind, Buster Posey was extremely accomplished at a young age as well, and he signed for 9/167 (which was, I believe, a record deal at the time).  I gotta believe Trout can get locked up for something like 9-10 years at 180-220 mil.