• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Trout speaks, won't address contract talks

AngelsWin.com

I personally asked Trout about this 5 times and last year and every time he was very convincing that it didn't matter to him. In fact, it was kind of a joke to him.

Now he says something else, and I'm scratching my head a little.

Maybe in retrospect he's thinking "here's a good way to make sure they never move me out of CF again."

I think there's no question Trout prefers CF and I'd personally have kept him there all year and had Bourjous play LF. Keeping your franchise player happy is no crime, especially in a case when the impact on the field is marginal.

I personally asked Trout about this 5 times and last year and every time he was very convincing that it didn't matter to him. In fact, it was kind of a joke to him.

It's possible he was just being a good soldier and just not rocking the boat.  Although, that does make me wonder how upset he may have been at simply being renewed.  He came out and said all the right things after his agent went apeshit but that may have bugged him more than he let on as well.

Maybe in retrospect he's thinking "here's a good way to make sure they never move me out of CF again."

I think there's no question Trout prefers CF and I'd personally have kept him there all year and had Bourjous play LF. Keeping your franchise player happy is no crime, especially in a case when the impact on the field is marginal.

Agreed.

Things ive heard through the grapevine tell me it wasnt an issue either. I think people need to understand that interviews arent always the most honest thing celebrities do.

Allow me to start by saying how I feel about Trout. He is the best player I have ever seen wear an Angel uniform, ever. He has been nothing short of brilliant in his 2+ year career. That being said, if I had both Peter and Trout on the team, I would have played Trout in LF and Peter in CF. As great as Trout is, Peter is a better defensive CFer and has a much better arm. I will give Trout props for not being a little bitch and complaining about it and forcing the Angels to trade Peter so he could be happy and play CF. The other thing this points out is how fragile the mentality and confidence is in these players. Here we have the very best player in baseball admitting to having where he plays in the field affect his concentration at the plate. What makes it even more strange is he played a much better LF last year than he did a CF last year. I hope you guys don't think this is a bash on Trout, just my observation.

How are you so sure that wasn't the case? I'm sure there are a few avenues one could take in making his feelings known besides standing in front of a microphone.

Edited by Jim

Arte better hope they at the very least make the playoffs this season if they can't sign him to a long term deal by, or shortly after opening day.

My concern is that if the Angels don't get a Trout extension done soon, it won't happen at all. Then we lose the best player in baseball and get zilch in return.

I think trouts extension is the main reason we have been penny pinching this winter.

Yes, we made a run at garza. He was going to be an adequate addition to what we need. Outside of tanaka, no one else really was.

I think trouts gonna be our next big contract a la pujols and hamilton coming out of nowhere when we were supposedly broke.

If I were a pro baseball player or coach, I would purposely say things to troll message board posters.

"So Scioscia, the Angels lost 12-2 to the Astros tonight. Joe Blanton only went 1 IP and gave up 6 runs. Where do you think it went wrong here?"

"Well, I think we really could have used to put down a few more bunts there."

I think trading bourjos was more for bourjos than trout. As much as im sure trout is happy to be back in CF, I dont think he had any problems with bourjos playing there.

Does Trout have the desire to be a CF'er or not? Going solely on what he says, I'd say yes. From the FO POV; if the guy you want to sign a billion dollar deal with says, "man I sure love playing CF". What does a FO do? They make that happen, that's what they do. I don't believe Trout had any problems with Bourjos personally, he was just playing the position Trout wanted most.

Getting back to yk's question, is it a usual thing to not have decided yet this late into February what to pay Trout for 2014? Shouldn't he be getting a paycheck since ST has started?

No puny 5% raises either!

Players technically aren't paid any salary for spring training. Just a per diem. The players with less than three years service time have their salaries "negotiated" during February. If no agreement is reached the team will automatically assign a salary (ie "renew") the player on Mar 3.

I expect Trout be happily renewed at about $600,000 on Mar. 3. Neither he nor his agent will complain because they'll know a $10m signing bonus will accompany the extension when it's signed in April or May or whenever.

Players technically aren't paid any salary for spring training. Just a per diem. The players with less than three years service time have their salaries "negotiated" during February. If no agreement is reached the team will automatically assign a salary (ie "renew") the player on Mar 3.

I expect Trout be happily renewed at about $600,000 on Mar. 3. Neither he nor his agent will complain because they'll know a $10m signing bonus will accompany the extension when it's signed in April or May or whenever.

I agree, it just makes sense.