• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Trout speaks, won't address contract talks

AngelsWin.com

I don't buy it. He posted a 1.040 OPS as a LF in 2012.  His best month at the plate, by far, was July (1.259 OPS).   He played both CF and LF eight times.  He played CF only seven times.  He played LF only ten times.  He didn't go more than two games in one position.  

I think some are over-analyzing. We've all said things we don't mean, and most of us aren't asked the same questions on a daily basis.  I highly doubt he was actually thinking about LF vs CF, on a regular basis, when he was at the plate. It probably happened after the occasional defensive play, but that probably happens to everyone no matter where they are playing... and not very often.  

This is kinda like the discussion on his clutch hitting.  He was good in 2012, not so much in 2013.   That's what happens with small, scattered samples. 

I'm with Scott and Oregon on this one!

Honestly I am surprised Mike came out and said this. It basically makes him sound vulnerable of self conscious. He's the best player in the game yet he takes his defense to the plate with him?

I was certainly in the, "he's perfectly fine in LF or CF field" camp last year. After reading this I guess it did bother him. I think it's crazy and possibly foreboding of things to come with him, but you do what you gotta do.

I also agree with the poster who said he thinks it affected him more in the field than in the batters box.

Jesus christ. 

It obviously effected him in 2013. 

He even came out and said it.

What he did in 2012 is irrelevant because he wasn't the established player at the time. He knew his place. 

Coming into 2013, he was the best player in baseball and the defensive player of the year and the angels rewarded him by moving him to LF.

Once again, the dude said it himself. How much more proof do you guys need?

Edited by Poozy

I don't really have a stance on this one way or another, but why are people acting like if Trout believes it, it's therefore true? Do you think people perceive themselves with 100% accuracy?

What?

It's obvious he wasn't happy about it. That's been made crystal clear by him.

If he's not happy about it and thinking about it, even during at bats, I can see how it would affect him.

Edited by Poozy

What?

It's obvious he wasn't happy about it. That's been made crystal clear by him.

If he's not happy about it and thinking about it, even during at bats, I can see how it would affect him.

Allow me to start by saying how I feel about Trout. He is the best player I have ever seen wear an Angel uniform, ever. He has been nothing short of brilliant in his 2+ year career. That being said, if I had both Peter and Trout on the team, I would have played Trout in LF and Peter in CF. As great as Trout is, Peter is a better defensive CFer and has a much better arm. I will give Trout props for not being a little bitch and complaining about it and forcing the Angels to trade Peter so he could be happy and play CF. The other thing this points out is how fragile the mentality and confidence is in these players. Here we have the very best player in baseball admitting to having where he plays in the field affect his concentration at the plate. What makes it even more strange is he played a much better LF last year than he did a CF last year. I hope you guys don't think this is a bash on Trout, just my observation.

Trout says it all comes down to winning, I think. You can have all the best stats in the world, but if you're not winning, it really doesn't mean nothing.

Well if they continue to miss the playoffs..............

I saw that quote too.

Arte better hope they at the very least make the playoffs this season if they can't sign him to a long term deal by, or shortly after opening day.

I don't really understand how people can argue that it didn't affect him when he actually admitted it did. 

His LF defense early last year was pretty bad.  His CF defense from the time Bourjos was out of the lineup was the same as the previous season.  Very very good. 

I also find it funny how people assume that professional athletes - even the elite ones - are supposed to be immune to the mental aspect of the game.  Mike Trout has been successful so far because of his exceptional physical and mental talent that is above all others.  It doesn't mean that every aspect of his person does so as well. 

I know this is sort of considered bad form at times, but I think posing the question of whether people here have actually played the game is pertinent in this case.  Anyone who has can tell you that your defense can affect your hitting and vice versa. 

Trout is a 22 year old kid.  We need to keep that in mind.  It actually shows quite a bit of maturity to admit what he did and to do so to the press as well. 

As a corollary, in 2012, he came up as a CFer.  He was the primary CFer and was excellent defensively.  He got occasional starts in LF and shifted there when Bourjos was brought in as a defensive replacement.  In other words, he was a CFer who occasionally played LF. 

If 2013, after all that he had done both offensively and defensively, he came into spring and they asked him to switch positions and become the primary LFer.

So there is the difference right there.

Maybe we just want to believe that because he's superhuman with his baseball skill and acumen that his he would have similar ability to the psychological aspect of the game. 

Edited by Dochalo

I prefer to think I have a reasonable opinion about an isolated quote, inconsistent small sample sizes, and... reason.

... but I'm actually a delusional know-it-all that is obsessed with comic books, centaur paintings of baseball players from New Jersey, and Phil Shane.