• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Not as enthusiastic as in most seasons

Torridd

I'm worried, to tell you the truth. I know the team can do well if the starters handle themselves, but generally I go into the season hyped up, thinking the Angels have the upper hand. I do not like feeling like this and I haven't felt like this in a while. I just wish we had a better rotation.

I feel much better than I did last year for sure. 

There aren't super lofty expectations going into the season. Going in as an underdog, if you want to call it that, feels a lot better than being predicted to win the World Series. 

If they manage to make the playoffs, it will feel awesome. I still think this team wins anywhere from 85-93 games. 

Welcome to the world of fans from pretty much 90% of teams going into a baseball season.  And as you've seen the past four years, feeling like you have a good team and what actually takes place on the field are two very different things.  

Most teams have weaknesses, some more glaring than others.  Maybe if you're a Cardinals, Tigers or Red Sox fan you aren't too worried. 

I feel much better than I did last year for sure. 

There aren't super lofty expectations going into the season. Going in as an underdog, if you want to call it that, feels a lot better than being predicted to win the World Series. 

If they manage to make the playoffs, it will feel awesome. I still think this team wins anywhere from 85-93 games. 

I agree with you and feel the same way.

I haven't had this low of expectations since 2002 probably (and no, that's not a suggestion that this season will turn out like that one).  Every year since then I've felt like the odds were very good they would make it to the playoffs.  This year I feel like they're very clearly a middle of the pack team, and unfortunately play in a tough division, within the tougher league.

Definitely. Why do you think this team is better?

Yeah I'm with Torrid.  I think back to how I felt this time last year, and I was more optimistic about that team than this year's team.  Mainly because of the rotation.  It's hard to remember it that way now, but a lot of us, even though we disliked the Blanton signing, thought he would be a decent back-end innings eater.  Hanson still seemed like he had some upside, and we had Richards and Williams as depth.

This year Richards is being counted on as a mid-rotation guy for a full season, Weaver's velocity is declining and he's coming off a subpar season, and unless our new young guys defy the odds and both pitch well and last the whole season, we're looking at more Blanton, without absolutely zero depth.

I'm worried, to tell you the truth. I know the team can do well if the starters handle themselves, but generally I go into the season hyped up, thinking the Angels have the upper hand. I do not like feeling like this and I haven't felt like this in a while. I just wish we had a better rotation.

So you have lowered expectations - maybe that's a good thing.

I can't help but remember the expectations going into 2012. Sure, we all thought the Angels were favorites but some here were actually expecting 100+ wins (I vaguely remember someone seriously predicting 105 wins!).

I agree with the 85-93 range, although might be a tad more conservative and say 84-92, with my over/under at 87. Anything outside of that range means that either something went seriously wrong (again) or everything clicked magically.

Regardless, I'm just as excited as any year for another season of Angels baseball.

I dont get why people still feel like this.  We have the best player in baseball on our team.  We have two other players who can be MVP candidates if they stay healthy.  Players have bounce back seasons all the time in MLB, its not that uncommon.  I dont think many people would be shocked if Pujols and Hamilton play somewhat close to their career norms this season.  If they do that then you are looking at potentially the best offense in baseball.  

Our rotation isnt that bad.  We are fortunate to have a legitimate ace and a top 3 pitcher in baseball over the last few seasons.  We have a great and consistent 2nd starter.  The rest of the rotation can be a hit or miss, but out of Richards, Santiago, and Skaggs im willing to bet at least one lives up to the potential this season and provides consistent 3rd starter production.  The 4th and 5th spots could be shaky but it wont be a big deal if the offense performs as expected.  

We have just as good a chance as winning it all as any other team does.  Crazier things have happened in baseball and it would not surprise me if this team finally gets it right this year.  

The one thing that does worry me though is the bullpen as it does every year. 

Edited by QuinlansMinion