• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Tustin mayor: No taxpayer money for an Angel stadium

jsnpritchett

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-tustin-anaheim-stadium-20140219,0,1954563.story#axzz2tmYBFZCD

"Arte Moreno did not send an emissary. The Angels owner met with Tustin officials himself last week, in search of a stadium deal and frustrated by what he perceives as stalled negotiations with the city of Anaheim.

Tustin officials still aren’t quite sure what to make of it. They’re happy to talk with him, but the mayor is not sure whether Moreno is more interested in coming to Tustin or in putting pressure on Anaheim.

“It could be a leveraging opportunity,” Tustin Mayor Al Murray said Tuesday night.

Murray was clear on one thing: Tustin would not be using taxpayer funds to build the Angels a ballpark.

“I don’t think, in our community, that would be acceptable,” Murray said.

Angels spokeswoman Marie Garvey said Tuesday that the Angels anticipate “a public-private partnership,” whether in Anaheim or elsewhere.

“We’re not asking for handouts anywhere,” she said."

I wouldn't rule out using some tax-payer dollars for a stadium if I were running a city.  If money can be made back on the deal by renting out the stadium, developing the surrounding property, or increased tax revenues, for example, then it could make sense for a city to contribute.

I wouldn't rule out using some tax-payer dollars for a stadium if I were running a city.  If money can be made back on the deal by renting out the stadium, developing the surrounding property, or increased tax revenues, for example, then it could make sense for a city to contribute.

If I'm running a city, and I'm offering land...  I'm not giving the team money to build a stadium.  IMO, that's a pretty fair trade-off.  Also, if I was giving the land away I'd try to negotiate to get a percentage of the parking lot money to appease the pitchfork and torches crowd.

Edited by Inside Pitch

GB, you seem to want any deal shot down.  What do you expect the Angels to do, continue to play in an old outdated stadium until it literally falls down on top of the fans?  It isn't like they are wanting some city to foot the bill for everything like some franchises have asked for.  They are willing to pay to build the stadium or rennovate the stadium in anaheim.

What are some solutions you have?

GB, you seem to want any deal shot down.  What do you expect the Angels to do, continue to play in an old outdated stadium until it literally falls down on top of the fans?  It isn't like they are wanting some city to foot the bill for everything like some franchises have asked for.  They are willing to pay to build the stadium or rennovate the stadium in anaheim.

What are some solutions you have?

If Arte didn't waste hundreds of millions on broken down old fossils, he wouldn't have to go from city to city, begging.

How much is he looking for, a quarter of a billion dollars?  How much money has he wasted these last five years?

It is asinine that billionaires run a sh*tty business model as owners, then come hat in hand, looking for stadium handouts, or spend 10 years sh*tting on the city where his team currently resides.

If Arte didn't waste hundreds of millions on broken down old fossils, he wouldn't have to go from city to city, begging.

How much is he looking for, a quarter of a billion dollars?  How much money has he wasted these last five years?

It is asinine that billionaires run a sh*tty business model as owners, then come hat in hand, looking for stadium handouts, or spend 10 years sh*tting on the city where his team currently resides.

Nice rant.  Doesn't change a thing moving forward.

I'm not going to argue the name change crap with you.  It's pointless.  I would say that both the city and the Angels have created the poor relationship that exists between the two sides right now.

Regardless, that is all water under the bridge at this point.  Both sides need to look at what will be most beneficial for them moving forward.  I think that the right kind of agreement would benefit both sides trememdously. 

If Anaheim wants to stay bitter about the name change that's fine, but Disneyland isn't Disneyland of Anaheim.  It's just Disneyland.  If they are making buttloads of money from hotels and restaurants and leases and parking and whatever else then why should they care what the team is called.?

I'm not going to argue the name change crap with you.  It's pointless.  I would say that both the city and the Angels have created the poor relationship that exists between the two sides right now.

Regardless, that is all water under the bridge at this point.  Both sides need to look at what will be most beneficial for them moving forward.  I think that the right kind of agreement would benefit both sides trememdously. 

If Anaheim wants to stay bitter about the name change that's fine, but Disneyland isn't Disneyland of Anaheim.  It's just Disneyland.  If they are making buttloads of money from hotels and restaurants and leases and parking and whatever else then why should they care what the team is called.?

That is why I said And he helped create a toxic environment w the city of Anaheim..

This is slightly off topic of the Angels, but what does the city of Anaheim really get out of those buttloads of tax money from the Angels or Disneyland?

The city is a dump.  i've seen some of the high schools, they are dumps.  Honestly, i am wondering:  What tangible benefit does the city get from these two huge businesses?  Better pensions?

Edited by yk9001

It also isn't Disneyland of Los Angeles.

Tustin:  Population 78k.  If they put any city funds into it, I can see it not ending well for them.  

This is maybe where it becomes partly a county thing, to keep them in Orange County?  

As for the name thing, the LA Rams played in Anaheim for 15 years.  

Edited by Angel Oracle

And then they left.

LOL...  Yeah, unhappy with their stadium situation and a city that wouldn't/couldn't put in the luxury boxes she wanted and a bigger share of the revenue, Georgia found a city that would give her what she wanted.

The more things change the more they stay the same I guess.

Edited by Inside Pitch

The more things change the more they stay the same I guess.

And the Rams are sick of their situation in St. Louis and pulling the Arte routine with other cities as we speak.

These municipal governments may in fact be a bunch of bumbling incompetents.  But the pro sports owners are, in general, insatiable whores who are NEVER satisfied until the suck every last dollar out of the local government.

Arte's been bitching about Anaheim for 10 years.