• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Closer than you Think

ettin

Sickels Top 20 Prospects for the Houston Astros: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/2/18/5423408/houston-astros-top-20-prospects-for-2014

90% of those 20 prospects were graded B or better. Three of them were graded out at 'A'. Combine that with the money they will have to spend (especially starting next year) and the rest of the AL West should be really concerned about the Astros threat starting next year and beyond.

Oh and did I mention they have the #1 pick again?

Edited by ettin

Sickels Top 20 Prospects for the Houston Astros: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/2/18/5423408/houston-astros-top-20-prospects-for-2014

90% of those 20 prospects were graded B or better. Three of them were graded out at 'A'. Combine that with the money they will have to spend (especially starting next year) and the rest of the AL West should be really concerned about the Astros threat starting next year and beyond.

Oh and did I mention they have the #1 pick again?

And that player is Carlos Rodon and he might be the best player in the draft in a long time.  Certainly on a Strasburg-level.

Oh the days when we used to have a GREAT farm system like this one.

Though outside of Weaver, Morales, Kendrick and a couple others, they flamed out... much like the Astros top prospects could do.

I used to get jacked about these guys coming up. Now I'm just a wait and see guy, because minor league success and talent, don't always equate into major league success.

Astros still have a pitiful collection of major league talent but it's very conceivable to see them as a .500 team in the near future. 

They aren't a small market team either so once they graduate all their minor league talent, they can start going out and buying or trading for big time talent. 

Luhnow really knows what he's doing. 

Eventually, staying the course and developing players within your own organization will pay off.  With Correa, Springer and Singleton leading the offense and Appel and Rodon topping the rotation this team will be extremely dangerous in a few years.  The AL West is already the best division in baseball. Just wait until the Astros get in the mix.

The Royals farm system was this good several years ago too, but then several guys flamed out and several more were traded for established guys.  The Astros will have to add major league talent in order to compete, and that talent won't come exclusively from free agency.  That means they will have to trade away some of their minor league talent.

I am not saying I don't expect them to be good eventually, but just that their strong farm is no sure indicator that they will be competitive.  Of course, another #1 pick (especially if Rodon is as good as claimed) could go a long way toward making them a force.

they have almost no major league talent. 

there is a big difference between having a solid core or even a decent base of avg. major leaguers with a good farm where you can create a window and start filling gaps via free agency. 

no doubt they are headed in the right direction, I just think they are further away than 2-3 years.  Maybe in 4-5 they will be a winning club.  maybe