• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Great read on the Halos by Sam Miller - ESPN Mag article

bloodbrother

Farm systems are cyclical.  Ours sucks right now because we have had no recent presence in Latin America and no first round picks the last two years.   

I trust the team Dipoto has put into place, but I doubt they are miracle workers.  They can do only so much.  Ultimately, the team is going to have to score on its high selections in the June draft, and spend some serious money to sign good international prospects.  I think the team should consider doing what the Cubs did last year, and what the Yankees are rumored to plan for this year: spend huge on international players, even if it means harsh penalties and no ability to sign international players next year.  One big international spending spree could go a long, long way toward solving our farm woes. 

Good point on Kendrys, Trumbo and Segura.

Using All-Star appearances is a lazy way to identify talent.

It is still an underwhelming list of production players outside of Trout and surely places the team in the bottom 10 of farm system production for the last decade.

I didn't, I pointed out that of the 16 players, 8 had played in All Star games.  Have you bothered to compare the Angels to other teams over that span before declaring them underwhelming and ranking them in the bottom ten?   Seems making that statement without first making a viable comparison would be "lazy".   

Did you ever happen to see this? http://conorglassey.com/big-leaguers-drafted-1996-2013/   .   

Edited by Inside Pitch

That group does not put us in the bottom 10. A starting infield, a starting outfield, Weaver, Santana, Saunders, Chatwood, Richards. That's a player a year that becomes a regular player. That is all anyone can ask for from your minor leagues. Especially for a team that made the playoffs so many times and signed free agents.

That group does not put us in the bottom 10. A starting infield, a starting outfield, Weaver, Santana, Saunders, Chatwood, Richards. That's a player a year that becomes a regular player. That is all anyone can ask for from your minor leagues. Especially for a team that made the playoffs so many times and signed free agents.

The interesting thing is those were players actually drafted and graduated by the Angels and not merely players obtained in AA/AAA as finished prospects via trades.   

The strength of a farm system and its player development and scouting is replenishing the system when players are called up or traded.  Of course when you graduate a lot of players one way or another, the farm system takes a hit.  However, the best part about small market clubs like Oakland and Tampa Bay is once a player reaches later years of club control, they usually trade the player for prospects that replenish the farm to an extent.  Trades of Gio Gonzalez, Trevor Cahill, James Shields, etc. added a lot of talent for their former teams. 

Big market clubs don't operate this way, b/c they tend to want to keep their players and can afford to do so. I think the best way to go about is a mix of player development and timely free agency.  Teams like the Rangers and Red Sox have a 100 plus million dollar budget, but still maintain their farm systems in a way to bring up talent annually.  The best team that mixes a decent budget and a consistent prospect mill is the Cardinals.  They seem to develop their talent and bring them up, while making trades and free agent signings to fill areas of need or areas needed for depth.  They can afford a Peralta contract because a majority of the pitching staff is pre-arbitration. 

The trades of Trumbo and Bourjos illustrated a couple of things.  Obviously, Angels fans can see both players had skills and, especially in the case of Bourjos, had remaining upside.  However, the Angels turned depth into two starting pitchers, a full time 3B, and a bullpen arm, all of which were areas of need.  Their free agent and minor league signings filled gaps and provided depth in the upper levels we didn't have.  Joe Smith at 3 yrs/15.5 mil was our largest expenditure.  We still have a lot of work to do to build the organization, but I'm optimistic that good changes are being made.