• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Great read on the Halos by Sam Miller - ESPN Mag article

bloodbrother

As far as I'm concerned with Wood, this was a massive fail on the part of EVERY decision maker within the organization who should have pulled the plug on him LONG before we had him indisputably start at 3rd in 2010. All you had to do was watch his swing once he stepped in MLB, and every single pitcher he faced had his number, and guys like Hatcher or Scioscia should've spoken up instead of looking the other way.

Just terrible player management and decision making all around. Everyone was saying he's "supposed to be great" but there was never even a glimmer of greatness in any of his Major League appearances, on the field or in the box. 

It's too bad this was the beginning of the snowball, as it didn't have to happen that way, and I don't know what took this organization so long to dump him.

As far as I'm concerned with Wood, this was a massive fail on the part of EVERY decision maker within the organization who should have pulled the plug on him LONG before we had him indisputably start at 3rd in 2010. All you had to do was watch his swing once he stepped in MLB, and every single pitcher he faced had his number, and guys like Hatcher or Scioscia should've spoken up instead of looking the other way.

Just terrible player management and decision making all around. Everyone was saying he's "supposed to be great" but there was never even a glimmer of greatness in any of his Major League appearances, on the field or in the box. 

It's too bad this was the beginning of the snowball, as it didn't have to happen that way, and I don't know what took this organization so long to dump him.

Lots of people missed on him, not just Halos management. Baseball America had him near the top of their list a couple years running.

I was against moving guys like Wood, Mathis, Kotchman, and Kendrick...but in hindsight the Angels probably would have been better off moving some of those guys when their value was sky high. Kotchman brought back great value in Tex. But moving Kendrick and Mathis as part of a deal for Cabrera is a no brainer nowadays. Wood in his "heyday" probably had as much value as Trout did two years ago. Or maybe the other teams had it dialed in and that's why the Halos couldn't move them for what they considered appropriate value.

You may be right red, but I hope not. I want the team to win and when I read something like this it tells me that part of it is going in the right direction. So if they are tied at the hip then I kind of hope that Servais isn't so loyal to Dipoto that he wouldn't accept the job if offered.

AO, I am pretty sure last year had nothing to do with Mike or Mike and more to do with Josh, Albert, Joe, Tommy, and what Jerry didn't do. That would be like blaming Mike D, for the Lakers this year. Now 2012, I am sure if Mike would have pressed all the right buttons (which seldom happens) we would have been in the playoffs as a wild card.

You may be right red, but I hope not. I want the team to win and when I read something like this it tells me that part of it is going in the right direction. So if they are tied at the hip then I kind of hope that Servais isn't so loyal to Dipoto that he wouldn't accept the job if offered.

Dipoto hired Servais from the Rangers...but I don't think they had history together before that, did they?

It was a great read, I though it was very interesting. I had always thought the Angels had "the Angels way", but it would appear that wasn't the case. Leads one to wonder, just how much did the Angels miss having Stoneman move out of the GM role.

This is also the same org that thought Rob Quinlan had a nice swing.

It's not fair to dub this all the "Brandon Wood" effect.

be honest though.....reading that wood was the worst hitter that came through the org in history.....having seen jeff mathis....kind of blew youbaway though, right?

But I agree. The player development has been lacking for a while. One of the best things I read on there was how players will soon shut out the hitting coach to go back to the guy theyve known for years.

I also agree that chicken and egg, whos to blame? The scouts or the minors coaching? Or both?

One thing is for sure. We have been doing it wrong.

At the big league level we havent been balanced for anlong time. We can either pitch (2010-11), or hit (12-13). Not both at the same time. Had haren and santana been themselves, and had the bullpen been just average, 2012 should have been a phenom team (even with pujols' cold start).

Its gonna take another 2 years I think at least tonsee a change. But im confidant its coming. The good news being that trout should still be a stud once the team rights itself.

Ignoring Trout because of his awesomeness we really have only produced 3 everyday position players in the last decade. Kendrick, Aybar and Napoli. That is not a good track record.

Segura*? Trumbo*? Morales?  Barring injuries, Bourjos?  Calhoun looks to be an everyday player..  Also can't ignore that Joe Saunders*, Ervin Santana*, Jered Weaver*, even Tyler Chatwood? are/were full time starters and Garret Richards appears to be a starter for us moving forward.  We don't know what would have been with Nick Adenhart.   Casey Kotchman was an everyday player for 5 years, ditto Callaspo.

So...  An entire starting IF if you slide Segura over to 3B.   An OF, including the best player on the planet.  A DH,  An entire rotation, plus Adenhart.

Eight different players who have appeared in an all star game...  Terrible track record.

Edited by Inside Pitch