• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

Garza said timing of Angels' offer led him to Brewers

jsnpritchett

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2014/02/17/garza-says-timing-of-angels-offer-led-him-to-brewers/

Wow.  Doesn't make the Angels look too good.  I'm not sure about this whole "take it or leave it in X hours"-style of making offers.

“They offered, but it was more of a weird situation,” said Garza, who wound up getting $50 million in guaranteed money from Milwaukee. “I was on vacation with my wife and I didn’t want to be disturbed, and it was like, ‘Here it is, we’ll pull it in a certain amount of hours.’ I didn’t have a chance to respond, so I just said, ‘Whatever. It is what it is.’”

He added: “It wasn’t anything big. It was an offer and I said, ‘I’m on vacation. I’m not thinking about baseball, Dude. Me and my wife are enjoying ourselves.’”

`

What a joke.  He was on vacation so he turned down a $52 million offer? Makes him look bad, not the Angels.

What's his agent for?

I don't think it makes him look bad at all.  He didn't turn it down.  He just didn't respond to it on their schedule.  I don't blame him.

I don't blame him for not accepting the offer (even if he wasn't on vacation). It was still very early in free agency and it wasn't like the offer was bigger than he expected to get. I'm sure he thought in early Dec. that he would get a longer contract for more per year. I understand why the Angels took the offer off the table, but they should've made him the same offer in Jan.  

Angels come off looking dumb. This style of negotiating is just poor, really. Very understandable that Garza wasn't ready to accept anything at that moment because he was celebrating his anniversary with his wife.

glad they didn't get him though so in this instance I'd say the timing was great

Edited by bloodbrother

Angels come off looking dumb. This style of negotiating is just poor, really. Very understandable that Garza wasn't ready to accept anything at that moment because he was celebrating his anniversary with his wife.

glad they didn't get him though so in this instance I'd say the timing was great

Yep. Not torn up because it's Garza, but man, I'm not fond of this strategy at all.

What a joke.  He was on vacation so he turned down a $52 million offer? Makes him look bad, not the Angels.

What's his agent for?

Evidently not much. A simple call to the Angels and say his client is out of cell phone service area on a anniversary would probably netted an extension on the offer. But Garza admits he flat out ignored it so that is all on them.

I like the idea of offering a contract and not allowing the agents to take their offer and leverage it to get better deals. I'm guessing for big name players there will be a different strategy.

The problem is that strategy only seems to work when you're blowing away the competition's offers, like gotbeer mentioned above.

Making a market rate offer(or even below at least what he was likely expecting at that point in time) and putting an arbitrary timeline on it is silly.

But hey, the Angels might not have gotten the pitcher they wanted badly enough to offer 52 million dollars to, but at least they got the satisfaction of making an agent put up with their negotiating games instead of putting up with the agent's! 3 cheers for moral victories!

Edited by jshep

Angels come off looking dumb. This style of negotiating is just poor, really....

^^^This^^^....I understand that Arte is trying to put pressure on players/agents to accept an offer and he is using a techinque but damn, it's not the used car business....if we liked Garza in December but he didn't want to sign yet, why not leave the door open if circumstances are such that both sides are still interested in Jan/Feb.....we have zero depth in our rotation....seems to me that, if we didn't find anybody else we liked (and we didn't/haven't), then sign him, if the price didn't go up....Geez....

The Angels didn't want to enter a bidding war, and they felt this was the best way to avoid such a thing.  I don't approve of it, because look where they are now in terms of depth.  But it is what it is.  I can tell you one thing, right now I'd feel a hell of a lot better about a Weav, Wilson, Garza, Richards and Santiago rotation with Skaggs as the #6 man and Blanton off the team.

Right now, Blanton's spot is almost guaranteed and that's on Dipoto. 

The problem is that strategy only seems to work when you're blowing away the competition's offers, like gotbeer mentioned above.

Making a market rate offer(or even below at least what he was likely expecting at that point in time) and putting an arbitrary timeline on it is silly.

But hey, the Angels might not have gotten the pitcher they wanted badly enough to offer 52 million dollars to, but at least they got the satisfaction of making an agent put up with their negotiating games instead of putting up with the agent's! 3 cheers for moral victories!

Or maybe they looked at his not bothering to respond as a sign of his lack of interest?

Sorry, but guys coming off a season where he got lit up in the AL with a history of arm trouble and career preriphs matching Phil Hughes' aren't in the position to be cavalier in their dealings with potential suitors.  He's not good enough to ignore offers -- the fact that he's in Milwaukee is proof of that.

Wonder what a 2 million dollar vacation is like, because he just went on on.

Edited by Inside Pitch

He signed for less so the Angels did present the top offer. Any higher is bidding against themselves.

Or maybe they looked at his not bothering to respond as a sign of his lack of interest?

Sorry, but guys coming off a season where he got lit up in the AL with a history of arm trouble and career preriphs matching Phil Hughes' aren't in the position to be cavalier in their dealings with potential suitors.  He's not good enough to ignore offers -- the fact that he's in Milwaukee is proof of that.

Wonder what a 2 million dollar vacation is like, because he just went on on.

Well again, I think if they took Matt Garza not responding personally in X hours when he was on a vacation with his wife as some sort of slight, that's a THEM problem, not a Garza problem.

Edited by jshep

You can't expect the Angels to wait until January for big name players and for them to also have a plan B. If they can't get their top choice early they need to start evaluating and executing their other options.

And what exactly was Plan B?  I would understand if we had moved on and signed somebody else but there is no somebody else, unless you think Blanton suddenly looks a lot better in Jan/Feb than he did in Dec when you offer Garza 50 million....