• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dumb School Decisions

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/ohio-students-teacher-charged-in-bullying-case

Here's a good one.  CaliAngel will think the boy shouldn't have been playing with the regular kids.

Good thing the police took over this one. The school would have give the teacher two week's paid leave and the kids Saturday school.

I think my teachers were some of the biggest bullies.  Most acted in subtle ways which had a cumulative effect over time. 

My Spanish teacher in high school was a tiny Latina with a non-stop mouth.  She used to mock me in front of the class for having the lowest grade, a C minus.  All of my homework and assignments were graded tougher than other students to keep my grade low.  I had some health problems causing me to occasionally fall asleep in class.  She mocked me for that too, encouraging the other students to laugh at me  despite doctor's notes explaining I had a problem. 

At no other time in my life have I wanted to inflict permanent physical harm to another human being.  And it's only by the grace of God that I didn't smash her face into the block wall...because I really wanted to. 

Obviously the physical violence is unacceptable, but I'm not quite sure where the line is on forced acceptance vs. natural social behavior. Basically, I get that this kid loves My Little Pony, and I think that's fine (I actually have a seven-year-old nephew that is a huge fan). The question I have is what are the reasons that this is frowned upon by peers? Are gender roles enforced so early by society that males are expected to shun others that do anything perceived as feminine? Are males naturally called to shunning those that are different based on some caveman-level survival instinct (i.e. You're either with us or against us)?

I get that. The school has to, and should, take a stance that protects the student. I guess the question I have is whether this is really something that's preventable. With stiff enough penalties and reaffirmation, I'm sure you could prevent the physical stuff, but could you realistically prevent the ostracization (which I would argue is more damaging)?

Edited by Don Tomlinson

Well, I think we know that bad behavior is never going to be stopped altogether.  It is a question of what kind of bad behavior is going to be excused and what kind isn't.  I think we know people will always steal but we still punish them when they get caught. 

i'm okay with the school asking the kid to keep the lunch pail at home. you want to de-escalate the situation. however, i hope that the kids who did the bullying are appropriately punished and counseled for their actions. at some point it should be okay for this kid or any other to bring whatever the heck kind of lunch box they want and know that they're okay to do so.

i'm okay with the school asking the kid to keep the lunch pail at home. you want to de-escalate the situation. however, i hope that the kids who did the bullying are appropriately punished and counseled for their actions. at some point it should be okay for this kid or any other to bring whatever the heck kind of lunch box they want and know that they're okay to do so.

I agree that lines on verbal abuse can get blurry and it may be best to diffuse the situation first then explore options. In the case of physical abuse the line is pretty clear. It's not acceptable and I would tell them flatly that either they can handle it or i will.

• 2 weeks later...

If we let kids shave their heads, we'd effectively destroy the lice-removal-industrial-complex.

My daughter and all her classmates at the Philippine School of Bahrain have heads full of thick black hair. Our family has probably paid for the summer home of the CEO of the lice shampoo corporation.