• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and Trout to discuss Multi year deal?

The Angels failed to reach .500 in Trout's first full season.

In fact, Trout's first full season was the first ear since 2003 the team failed to win 80 games.

Seriously though. Offer him a massive 15-20 year deal. Lock him up to a historic contract.

Didn't they win 89 games in 2012?  Did I not get the joke?

Because it's an option.  They go into it in detail in the CBA.  But the gist was, options aren't considered guaranteed contracts.

I had read that player options count and team options do not. Opt outs are ambiguous but certainly its a player option. I'd like to know what specifically rules this out? 

Player options are guaranteed because the team has no control over whether it's paid so it's considered guaranteed. An opt out is just like a player option except the default is the opposite. A player option needs to be exercised for the player to stay. An opt out needs to be exercised for him to leave. Either way, it's out of the team's control so it has to guarantee the money.

Also, the buyout in a team option is guaranteed.

Player options are guaranteed because the team has no control over whether it's paid so it's considered guaranteed. An opt out is just like a player option except the default is the opposite. A player option needs to be exercised for the player to stay. An opt out needs to be exercised for him to leave. Either way, it's out of the team's control so it has to guarantee the money.

Also, the buyout in a team option is guaranteed.

This is my line of thinking as well, which would seem to imply that the years after the opt out clause would be counted towards the AAV as calculated in determining luxury tax liabilities. This is what I believe I have read s well.

So why then could we not make those post opt out seasons extremely low in salary? The team is still risking payment in the event of catastrophic injury.