• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and Trout to discuss Multi year deal?

He will sign a contract that starts in 2015 but will get a big signing bonus now.

He can't sign a contract for 2015 until the 2014 season starts per MLB rules.  Otherwise teams would just sign players to a series of one year deals to avoid luxury tax.

Might as well add another 5 years at 1 million per year to get that AAV down

Well, I was trying to be realistic, but you could do that.  In fact, I do not see why more teams don't do it to evade the salary cap. 

Why not offer Trout a 13 year contract worth 215 million.  Pay 210 million for the first 8 years.  Pay him 1 million for the next five.  Give Trout an opt out clause after year 8. 

If not mistaken the AAV would be 16.5 million.  That would be a bargain on the AAV.  Trout gets his big pay days as the contract is front loaded.  Then he can still be a FA when he is 30.

That is a win win for both sides.

Might as well add another 5 years at 1 million per year to get that AAV down

Against CBA rules.

That is what they used to do in the NHL.  They would do like 21 year deals where the first 8 had all the money and the rest had league minimum salaries.  The player would retire once the bulk of the money came or renegotiate the deal.

They closed that loophole though.

The Angels failed to reach .500 in Trout's first full season.

In fact, Trout's first full season was the first ear since 2003 the team failed to win 80 games.

Seriously though. Offer him a massive 15-20 year deal. Lock him up to a historic contract.

Actually, his first full season was 2012, in which the team won 89 games.

It was his second full season that they failed to reach .500.

I sure hope they lock him up. I'd hate to see him in another uniform tearing up the league.

assuming he stays on his current career trajectory, I honestly think it would be the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise (not counting off the field stuff) (or this Disney pin-stripe uniforms).