• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

15 Worst Contracts This Year

Brandon

i'd be a fool to bet on anybody giving up a lot of money over pride, but it has happened before and albert is the kind of prideful dude to do it too. we'll just have to wait and see how life plays out, i guess.

yeah, i've been holding on to the hope that he would retire somewhere around year 6 or 7 if his body continues to fall apart.  Might just be wishful thinking, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Who says he can no longer play at a high level? Last year he was playing on one foot and played in 99 games and still had a 1.5 WAR. In 2012 he had over a 4 WAR. Is he overpaid, yes, but if he puts up 2012 type numbers then it isn't the worst contract ever like some are suggesting. If Albert can't get healthy then I believe he will retire before the end of his contract.

To me, more than his lack of production, what could really make it the worst contract in the history of sports is if it any way damages the Angels' chances of locking up Mike Trout.  If that happens, we'll probably never know for sure if Pujols' contract played a role, but man would there be a ton of speculation.

But Pujols said he would void his contract if he can no longer play at a high level!  We all believe that will happen, right?  Right??........

I think Albert Pujols is going to attempt to stick around in an effort to catch and pass Willie Mays in career home runs at 660.

That would put him right behind Babe Ruth in terms of MLB history. 

Alex Rodriguez 3b

10 years/$275M (2008-17)

• 10 years/$275M (2008-17)
    • re-signed by NY Yankees as a free agent 12/13/07
    • $10M signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014)
    • 08:$27M, 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M,15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20M

The $2.9mm owed to ARod is on top of the $3mm signing bonus. It's because even though he was suspended for 162 games, players are paid for 183 workdays. So he will still receive about 11.5% of the money owed to him for 2014 even though he isn't allowed to play any games.

Edited by HaloMagic

I don't know any more than you do. Why not engage in the conversation instead of trolling.

There's no conversation needed as per the original topic; Pujols will go down next to Arod as one of the worst contracts ever unless he shows some level of resurgence over at least the next 4-5 seasons.  Given his statistical trends over the past three years, there sure isn't much to be encouraged by. 

Just making a light-hearted comment, I wasn't aware the fun police were out!

Who says he can no longer play at a high level? Last year he was playing on one foot and played in 99 games and still had a 1.5 WAR. In 2012 he had over a 4 WAR. Is he overpaid, yes, but if he puts up 2012 type numbers then it isn't the worst contract ever like some are suggesting. If Albert can't get healthy then I believe he will retire before the end of his contract.

Sure, I think he could play at a high level for the next couple of years or so.  I would say expecting him to exceed 4 WAR for the next eight years, when he's entering his age 34 season, is a bit of a stretch.  Especially given his recent trends in plate discipline, speed and power (ISO, SLG, BB, HR/FB, etc. are all consistently trending downward over the past 4 years).  And that he lumbers around the basepaths like a newborn giraffe (we'll see if his recovered PF will help that). 

Hopefully you guys are right and he can have some strong bounceback seasons.  I just tend to take the cautiously pessimistic approach when it comes to players heading towards mid-30's dealing with decline and injuries.