• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

True Detective

I watched the final two episodes today.  Good show.  I never thought I'd be able to tolerate Woody Harrelson for that long but I even enjoyed him in this.

What I really liked about the show was the direction.  It reminded me of Michael Mann's stuff before he lost the plot and started making movies that weren't Michael Mann movies.

I love the pacing of the show.  It is such a nice change of pace ot see a show where the scenes take their time and the characters draw you in.  The rest is just background.  There's a reason the at least one of the two main characters are in essentially every scene.  They could be talking about selling insurance for an hour and I'd be interested because of the characters and the direction.

Woody Harrelson was the most interesting character for me. I guess it was because he was the most believable as the high school football All American turned cop/detective and how he could justify just about any of his own flaws and not realize just how easily his family saw through his lies. He gets he is flawed, admits it only in a conciliatory manner to shut up his detractors but cannot deny his wiring and just has to play out the tragedy within the tragic events around the case.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Rumor has it the four leads for season 2 will be Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Elizabeth Moss, and Taylor Kitsch. Kind of an odd cast. I like Colin Farrell and think he'd do a great job. I think Vaughn is the obvious wild card here. Not really known for work on dramas but I've jumped on too many casting decisions over the years only to be pleasantly surprised at how good someone was. Heck, two years ago no one would have thought Matthew McConaughey was an oscar caliber actor.

Anyway, just rumors but they appear to be really strong rumors compared to most. Apparently Christian Bale was asked to do it but turned it down to do a movie instead.

Edited by Chimi

Yeah, that cast, other than Colin Farrell doesn't thrill me, but I loved the first season and would definitely give the second season the benefit of the doubt regardless. Wasn't there a rumor that William Friedkin would be directing the 2nd season? I could definitely live with that if that's true.

An actor I would be interested in seeing in True Detective is Tom Hardy. I think he'd be great in a future season if the show continues to have success.

• 2 months later...

More True Detective casting/plot news

http://deadline.com/2014/10/kelly-reilly-michael-irby-abigail-spencer-leven-rambin-cast-true-detective-hbo-1201267990/

Now that Nic Pizzolatto‘s True Detective has more or less locked in its Season 2 leads, it’s filling out the supporting cast. The HBO drama has set Michael Irby, Kelly Reilly, Abigail Spencer, and Leven Rambin for heavily recurring roles in the next run of episodes.

As previously reported, Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Taylor Kitsch, and (probably)Rachel McAdams are playing the main characters. Hit the jump for the latest on True Detective Season 2 casting.

True Detective Season 2 is set in California and follows three police officers investigating the suspicious death of a corrupt California city manager. Farrell plays Ray Velcoro, a detective torn between his corrupt department and the mobsters who own him; Kitsch is Paul Woodrough, a young military veteran; and Vaughn is Frank Semyon, a career criminal. McAdams is expected to take the final lead role of troubled sheriff Ani Bezzerides, but hasn’t quite closed her deal.

Sounds cool with plenty of opportunity for plot twists. Not sure how Vaughn will do....I always picture his goofball characters and same comedy schtick. I'm coming around on Kitsch....he was just ok in Savages, but pretty solid in Lone Survivor.

This show was one of the better ones in a time where we get some pretty good ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds cool with plenty of opportunity for plot twists. Not sure how Vaughn will do....I always picture his goofball characters and same comedy schtick. I'm coming around on Kitsch....he was just ok in Savages, but pretty solid in Lone Survivor.

This show was one of the better ones in a time where we get some pretty good ones.

Totally agree about Kitsch. Savages was garbaget not due to him. He was exactly what he needed to be in Lone Survivor.

I'm worried about Vaughn. To me he's on the edge of becoming Nicholas Cage Lite. "Too present" in his scenes if that makes any sense. Out in front of them instead of part of them.