• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The only good result from the drought (and above average) temps

Angel Oracle

Except that with all due respect, if extended bad weather hits ST, couldn't that impact how the preparation for the season progresses, both from a readiness and health standpoint?

Maybe it's differently now, but back through the 1990s, whenever a lot of bad weather hit ST, teams were concerned how it could/would increase vulnerability to injuries and a slow start.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Except that with all due respect, if extended bad weather hits ST, couldn't that impact how the preparation for the season progresses, both from a readiness and health standpoint?

Maybe it's differently now, but back through the 1990s, whenever a lot of bad weather hit ST, teams were concerned how it could/would increase vulnerability to injuries and a slow start.

This reminds me of last year with the fire Sosh plague.

At the end of the day these are professional athletes accountable for their own performances and how they handle themselves and their bodies all year. I'd be real leery of a dude if his excuse for being out of shape or not prepared is because he is waiting for ST or his ST was a little more overcast than expected. Same with a dude blaming his poor OPS because Sosh didn't pump him up or talk to him in some manner.

I just have a real issue with giving people a pass or excuse for poor performance.

In the 1950's (AO's time and before), spring training lasted 6 weeks because the players were insurance salesmen during the winter.

Athletes today work out 12 months a year.  Have personal trainers, nutrtitionists, and personal coaches.  Training methods and techniques have advanced a thousand fold time in the last few decades.  The thought of a position player needing six weeks to get ready for Opening Day is a joke.  (the arms for pitchers may be on a slightly different schedule).

You know why spring training is still six weeks?  Because its a freaking gold mine for the teams.

Edited by yk9001

That (off season jobs) actually likely lasted through the 1980s for the average player.   Even with FA advent in the late 1970s, only the top players saw salaries really jump.    The non-stars still likely had a small enough salary on average by then, that a 2nd off-season job may have continued to exist for some of them through the 1980s at the latest.

Reggie Willits only made $2,665,000 during his major league career.  He is coaching High School Baseball in Oklahoma.  I always liked the story of he and his family living in their batting cage. 

You're forgetting the money he made renting himself out as a human coaster for socialites to place their drinks on his head at high-end Newport Beach parties.