• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

michael sam

Hollyw00d

You would think it would...but I can imagine a lot of press in the locker room asking questions...players asked questions, coaches asked questions..."is it a distraction"..."why yes, it's a distraction...because you keep asking me if it's a ****ing distraction"...

In a year, wouldn't be an issue. I would think best bet for him to land is a team without much of a chance of winning or a team with some historical figure type of player or coach who can put the issue to rest real quick...maybe a guy like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady...Bill Belichek. Someone who can "slut shame" the reporter for asking the question over and over.

I could see it absolutely failing if he went to a team like the Cowboys and the media circus that is Jerry Jones.

The press can definitely be brutal but this guy has already been through a lot.  He has 2 brothers who were killed and 1 that's in jail (might be 2 in jail 1 dead can't remember for sure), another brother who just left the house one day and never came back and a younger sister who drowned when she was a child.  I definitely don't think there's any attention grab or ego involved in his decision to make his sexual preference public he's just a strong person who has been through a lot and he happens to be a very good football player.  

The only problem I have is that his agent comes out and says a team like the Chargers would be a great fit for him because of how they handled the Manti issue. OK agent and Michael Sam, you don't get to play both sides. You don't get to ask that being gay should not be a football issue but then ask that he be drafted by an organization that might handle the situation the best. If you want to be treated as a football player then asked to be drafted by a team that best fits your skills and not a team that might cater to a personal situations. Manti was drafted by the Chargers because they needed a MiLB not because they are a good PR organization.

This will be a distraction for any team that picks him up. Some if not most NFL guys aren't the smartest guys in the world they will speak their mind. Some guys won't want to share a locker room with a gay guy. Don't forget the same questions will be asked a hundred times. Anyone who says this is okay and won't cause a problem is only fooling themselves.

This will be a distraction for any team that picks him up. Some if not most NFL guys aren't the smartest guys in the world they will speak their mind. Some guys won't want to share a locker room with a gay guy. Don't forget the same questions will be asked a hundred times. Anyone who says this is okay and won't cause a problem is only fooling themselves.

Agreed to an extent, but at the same time, f*ck that noise. Some people are going to be very uncomfortable with it. As time passes, less people will be.

It's time for bullsh*t like the status quo that causes the first instances of this to be a distraction to be part of our past. Only enduring some distractions at first will move the NFL forward.

The NFL can either make a push forward or be dragged forward. Tough crap for the homophobes within it.

Edited by RallyMo

Wait a minute, college players are less mature and intelligent than NFL players, he thrived there.  I don't see why it should be any different in the NFL.  If the media just lets the kid play football I doubt anything comes of this other than maybe one or two morons having a difficult time with their own manhood struggling.

It probably won't be as bad as people fear, but there will be some distraction for sure. I think Red mentioned earlier that it would likely only be an issue for a year. If this leads to more gay players coming out, it will become less and less of a distraction.

In the greater picture, his teammates at Missouri have known for a couple years. It's remarkable they banded together and kept that secret within the locker room. If college athletes can accept a gay teammate, then NFL players should follow suit.

Ya this is what I sorta took from reading stuff.  Yes I do read.  People were more it's about time you said something over being surprised.  I hope the best for this guy and he obviously has football skills. 

A team can choose to let this become a distraction, but a team can choose to let this unify a club. Mizzou chose the latter. When the opponent decides to trash talk Michael about being gay, then his team can play with a little extra purpose to shut them up. Whichever club drafts him will have the opportunity to make a difference. To tell the world that the NFL doesn't discriminate and football supersedes anyone's sexual orientation.

I think it depends on the locker room regardless. In college he obviously played with mature and accepting players but if he gets drafted by an NFL team which may not be as mature then it's going to be a distraction. This goes without saying but there are certain players in certain locker rooms who probably won't be able to handle it but the majority should be fine with it since it's really not a big deal.

Donte Stallworth with a really good article about the "distraction" part of this

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/02/14/3287341/donte-mike-sam/

First, let’s address one major point: Michael Sam will only be a distraction if his organization, head coach, and teammates let him become one because of their own biases and lack of leadership.

If a team full of teenagers and 20-year-old kids are mature enough to handle his coming out — and they did, since Mizzou had a fantastic season — an NFL locker room full of grown men should be able to as well.

Still, because Michael Sam will likely be the first, there will be questions from his teammates and management for whatever team drafts him in May. But those questions don’t automatically become distractions. Distractions happen when the leadership in the locker room is poor and unequipped to handle internal problems, and how any team manages situations like these is the important factor. When it comes to Sam, teams will already know what they are getting, and so there are no surprise distractions. They should be equipped to handle any questions from day one, and if the team that drafts him isn’t prepared to handle those, it has bigger problems than Michael Sam’s sexuality.

Edited by jshep

Donte Stallworth with a really good article about the "distraction" part of this

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/02/14/3287341/donte-mike-sam/

First, let’s address one major point: Michael Sam will only be a distraction if his organization, head coach, and teammates let him become one because of their own biases and lack of leadership.

If a team full of teenagers and 20-year-old kids are mature enough to handle his coming out — and they did, since Mizzou had a fantastic season — an NFL locker room full of grown men should be able to as well.

Still, because Michael Sam will likely be the first, there will be questions from his teammates and management for whatever team drafts him in May. But those questions don’t automatically become distractions. Distractions happen when the leadership in the locker room is poor and unequipped to handle internal problems, and how any team manages situations like these is the important factor. When it comes to Sam, teams will already know what they are getting, and so there are no surprise distractions. They should be equipped to handle any questions from day one, and if the team that drafts him isn’t prepared to handle those, it has bigger problems than Michael Sam’s sexuality.

The bigger story here is Donte Stallworth can write.  Good for him.