• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wussification of America hits Little League

I've been an assistant coach on little league teams for 7 years now, and went to my youngest's practice after practice with my oldest this morning. I started warming him up since we were there first, and when the manager of his team got there, I was told adults can't throw to kids anymore. The manager proceeded to tell every dad that got there and started throwing with their kid, that it wasn't allowed, and can result in team penalties. No pop ups, no warm ups, not even a soft tossed rainbow. We can only roll them. Yes, we can hit batted balls to them, but no throws. I couldn't believe it, and hit up the manager I coach with on my older boy's team, and he confirmed that it is true. Wow. Unreal.

It is probably the league and not a coach. This is the kind of protect their own ass regardless of how much you devalue what they offer that soils the game. Having a sports monopoly gives them too much say in what goes on.

Edited by Eric Notti

I'm sure it's the result of a lawsuit. And I've hit my kid in the face warming him up before (rite of passage in little league to get a fat lip or a shiner in my opinion.). Anyway, I was told it's a little league rule, but I just went through the entire rule book and didn't see anything about it. I know it's not just the coach, it's league-wide. However, I'm trying to find out if it's a local district rule or if it's Little League in general.

My little boy is crushed, he doesn't understand why I'm not allowed to play catch with him at practice. It's tough enough on him that I can't go to every practice since I'm coaching his older brother's team and they have a lot of overlap. Poor little dude. Need the time change so I can throw with him after work.

Edited by Biergott

I'm sure it's the result of a lawsuit. And I've hit my kid in the face warming him up before (rite of passage in little league to get a fat lip or a shiner in my opinion.). Anyway, I was told it's a little league rule, but I just went through the entire rule book and didn't see anything about it. I know it's not just the coach, it's league-wide. However, I'm trying to find out if it's a local district rule or if it's Little League in general.

I used to hit my kid in the face BEFORE we started playing catch. I swear they take the fun out of everything. Thanks a lot bin laden!

I've been an assistant coach on little league teams for 7 years now, and went to my youngest's practice after practice with my oldest this morning. I started warming him up since we were there first, and when the manager of his team got there, I was told adults can't throw to kids anymore. The manager proceeded to tell every dad that got there and started throwing with their kid, that it wasn't allowed, and can result in team penalties. No pop ups, no warm ups, not even a soft tossed rainbow. We can only roll them. Yes, we can hit batted balls to them, but no throws. I couldn't believe it, and hit up the manager I coach with on my older boy's team, and he confirmed that it is true. Wow. Unreal.

Thanks Obama!

You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I play catch with my son everyday at home. When your son/dauther gets to practice they should be playing catch with his/her teammates.

You can still play catch with them before practice starts.

That's the problem, I WAS playing catch with him before practice.  At a public park.   That's awesome that you are able to play catch with your kid everyday, but unfortunately, I work until dark everyday so I don't have that luxury.  I can on the weekends or before practices.   The other free time is spent coaching a team's practices/games and helping out with the other team's games and practices.

I've gotten the parents of the entire AA team I coach on fired up, and a petition is starting within the league.  But we need to determine if it is a local district rule, or Little League-wide to see if we will be able to have any effect.