• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reports: Dodgers appear to have a deal with Paul Maholm

fan_since79

I guess my point is the team can't not go take chances on starters with the fear of them turning into Blanton/Hanson part 2.

I do agree with the sentiment about wanting Maholm on a guaranteed contract. I see nothing wrong with a minor league deal though.

Yea Hanson and Blanton were counted on as being the angels 3rd and 4th starters.

Little different than bringing over a guy to be a 5th/6th starter on a 1 year deal.

w/e though.

This is make or break for Jerry Dipoto. I'm sure he sees the urgency. If he feels the angels have enough pitching depth, then so be it. 

I just hope there are no excuses when one or two starters get hurt and we're stuck with Blanton and Shoemaker starting.

Edited by Poozy

Dodgers Sign Paul Maholm
By Aaron Steen [February 8 at 6:04pm CST]

The Dodgers have signed Paul Maholm to a one-year, $1.5MM major-league deal, Jim Bowden of ESPN tweets. Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times was the first to report the signing (Twitter link). Ken Gurnick of MLB.com tweets that Maholm's deal contains "significant" incentives.

It looks like the report that it was a minor league deal was wrong, but he still got less than expected.

Vargas was a fringe #3/4 who came over here and out up the exact same numbers he always has.

It's not any pitcher... it's a NL pitcher who hasn't pitched in the AL in a long time or never and struggles in the NL recently. Vargas had 4 years AL experience before coming over to the Angels. No one thought he would blow up because he had proven that he could handle the AL.

If we're using the NL to AL criteria, Dan Haren had an ERA over 4.6 with the D-Backs in 2010.

With the Angels in the second half of 2010 and all of 2011, he had a low 3's ERA.

Haren hadn't pitched in the AL since his Oakland days and he was a mediocre pitcher through one half of 2010. He pitched well immediately when he came to Anaheim.

You expected a 1.34 WHIP?

With a 3.4 ERA, yeah I will take that. He also pitched 210 innings so its not like he left a ton of games because he was always in trouble. Would I prefer a lower whip, of course, but he has been a very solid 2 since we have signed him.

If we're using the NL to AL criteria, Dan Haren had an ERA over 4.6 with the D-Backs in 2010.

With the Angels in the second half of 2010 and all of 2011, he had a low 3's ERA.

Haren hadn't pitched in the AL since his Oakland days and he was a mediocre pitcher through one half of 2010. He pitched well immediately when he came to Anaheim.

The two season prior in the NL he had a sub 4 ERA. Combine that with the success he had in OAK and you get a solid starter in either league. At that time at least.

There is a great article in SB Nation that says Maholm was a great value for the Dogs.  Compares him to Vargas and Arroyo. I do not know how to post links to articles but it is Justin Millars' SB MLB Daily Dish of February 9, 2014.  Another SB article talks of the possibility of Mahols going to the bullpen also.  I have mentioned Maholm before and have been routinely lambasted so I will watch his season with some interest.  I would even be rooting for him if it was not the Dogs. 

Edited by LAAMike

Maholm would have slotted in the 5/6/7 spot for the Halos this year. 

Hanson and Blanton were brought in to be 4 and 5 starters and give the team 200 innings each. 

If Maholm happened to win the job as the teams #5, he could be easily replaced by Skaggs or maybe even Mulder or Shoemaker. 

Although I'd still like to seem them get one more guy as I think it makes the team better for the marathon that is a baseball season, I'm getting more and more excited to see Shoemaker show his stuff and be the surprise of this team. 

Maholm would have slotted in the 5/6/7 spot for the Halos this year. 

Hanson and Blanton were brought in to be 4 and 5 3 and 4 starters and give the team 200 innings each. 

If Maholm happened to win the job as the teams #5, he could be easily replaced by Skaggs or maybe even Mulder or Shoemaker. 

Although I'd still like to seem them get one more guy as I think it makes the team better for the marathon that is a baseball season, I'm getting more and more excited to see Shoemaker show his stuff and be the surprise of this team. 

Fixed

Edited by Poozy