• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why are so many down on Richards, Santiago, and Skaggs?

well im done entertaining... it and he are not worth the effort.. i pretty much accept that every post i post in he will have some bullshit snide remark anymore... and that noone has the balls to say anything about it so... yeah, i guess its cool to be a prick around here so ill play the same game.

it seemed appropriate given what a bitch you've been so yeah

Oh god I really can't handle this much irony right now.

You have done NOTHING but bitch and moan and whine like a little child the past few weeks. And EVERY time someone calls you out on your stupid shit you run off and say you are "done" with the conversation as if you are above it. Yet you call out all these people who don't exist for attacking you and being negative and saying shit that no one but you has seen them say. You overreact to every little thing that anyone posts and act like one or two examples are the norm. One person posts an opinion similar to yours? "OMG it's so funny how everyone is now changing their tune". One person writes an article that you misread and think supports your opinion? "OMG read this see I'm not the only one who feels this way I'm really not that stupid afterall". And now you are doing it in every thread taking on this super-fan persona, out on a mission against any and all negativity. Why don't you post things that are relevant to the thread, instead of going off on a completely random and unwarranted rant?

*Edit* See what I mean? Someone calls you out on your stupidity and you run off saying "you are done with it". This is what you do. You can't stay to defend your actions because you know they are stupid and instead try to act above it when in reality you continue to call people out for no reason in threads that don't warrant it.

You sir, are an elderberry, and your mother was a hamster.

Edited by tdawg87

IF we are still in contention in July (a big "IF") Howie WILL be traded for some pitching help. We'll need it.

I thnk you've brought up a really good point I had not considered before Mark68, that perhaps Dipoto is leaving the possibility open for further acquisitions but is wagering that the staff constructed as is will be good enough to buy some time until the trade deadline.

I don't think it's probable because prices are inflated by then, but it's that point in the offseason where I'll entertain thoughts of just about anything out of sheer boredom.

I just don't see them ever giving up an everyday starter in a mid season trade if the team is in contention. 

I don't either, unless Lindsey is absolutely killing it in AAA, or Green is hitting much better than Howie. Even then, for Howie to be worth much in trade he's going to need to be having a "good Howie year," which would imply that--if the team is in contention--he shouldn't be traded.

But it would be an interesting study to see how many contending teams have traded away everyday players at the trade deadline.

I'm not down on Richards, Santiago and Skaggs, I'm excited to see them pitch in ST. I'm equally excited to see Mulder and Shoemaker.

You guys want a sure thing in the rotation to calm your butthurtness and skepticism, well look no further than the 2012 starting rotation when none of us had question marks about the rotation and the pundits felt we had the best starting 4 in baseball and yet Haren and Santana shit the bed and Williams our 5th starter for a good chunk of the season after a solid 2011 had an up and down campaign.

There is no sure thing rotation in baseball. Even the Cardinals, as Wacha and Miller could have sophomore slumps. The Dodgers have a good 1-2 punch but Ryu could falter in his second go around the league and Haren and Maholm have been shit the last two seasons.

The good thing about Richards, Santiago and Skaggs is that they have major league experience under their belt and the trio have really good stuff. One could argue that their stuff is on par with our 1-2 guys.

Well yeah, there's no sure things, but teams do have the ability to try to reduce the risk they're facing.

Which is why the Cardinals refused to trade their excess of young pitching for SS help. And why the Dodgers have gone after more starting pitchers than they immediately needed these past 2 years.

But I guess crossing your fingers and hoping really hard like the Angels are doing is an option too. Young pitchers never fail, Matt Shoemaker isn't just a vaguely interesting barely prospect with 5 mlb innings, Joe Blanton isn't Joe Blanton, and Mark Mulder is only 9 years removed from being good afterall!

Edited by jshep

I re-read this thread just to see everything that's been said, it really is interesting to see some people so pessimistic.

Hector Santiago turned 26 in December, he is considered by many to be nothing more than a back end of the rotation guy... I get it, I know why people think that... but I can't seem to get around the fact that he's performed.  He pitched 357 innings of minor league baseball in which he gave up fewer hits than IP, more K's than IP and sported a HR/9 of 0.6.  Since graduating to the majors he's pitched over 200 innings, still giving up less hits than IP.  He's struck out 218 batters in 224 innings and managed a HR/9 just over 1.0 despite pitching his home games in a park with a HR index of 131 to RHB and 118 to LHBs....   His career ERA+ is currently 126.  To put that into perspective consider this -- Jered Weaver's career ERA+ is 127.   I understand the walk rate is worrisome but there is reason to be hopeful too.   

Garret Richards will be 26.  He's easily got the best pure stuff of any of the SPs and has pitched parts of three seasons with the Angels. he's seen his ERA go from 5.79, to 4.69, to 4,17 over that span.  At the same time he's seen his K rate go up every year while his walk and hit rates have gone down -- As a starter he's now managed an ERA of 4.37 for his career, (167 IP).  The second half of last year he posted an ERA of 3.59 after moving to the rotation.    I know people want to see flat out dominance from day one but lets be honest, he's shown improvement every year and is trending in the right direction.  He's not done it as well or as long as Santiago has, but at worst he profiles as a solid number four with potential upside.  

Tyler Skaggs will be all of 22 years old.  He's pitched nearly 500 innings in the minors 284, of them at AA or above.  He's posted a minor league K rate of  9.8, a BB/9 rate of 2.9, and a HR/9 rate of 0.6.  Yeah, he's been called up and dinged, but he's been a two time top 20 prospect in each of those years.  I don't see people punting on Jurickson Profar despite the fact that he's been completely over-matched in his brief time in the majors and in his case he's seen his rates drop with every single promotion.  Both guys are young, both guys are inexperienced, I understand there were concerns about velocity last year, but at worst Skaggs is the best SP prospect this team has been able to turn to since Adenhart.  Again, there is hope there IMO.

Anyway..  when it's all said and done, I think too much weight is being given to sportswriter pap and reputations that may or may not be valid.  At worst it seems like the Angels are working with one guy that's a safe bet to produce.  One guy that's likely to produce, and a guy who is a complete wild card.  They may not be sure bets, but it's been long time since the Angels had so much youth and potential upside in the rotation.

Just sign a guy to act as a safety net and let's see what happens.  If they tank, then we can go into July as sellers and have something interesting to talk about.

Edited by Inside Pitch