• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stephen Drew seeks opt out after first year of any multi year deal.

ukyah

If it is a mutual opt out with no buyout then say yes to Boras. That way if the Mets don't think he is worth his money they can walk away from the deal. I can imagine Boras having a fit if the Mets make that counter proposal but it is how his demands should be dealt with.

If it is a mutual opt out with no buyout then say yes to Boras. That way if the Mets don't think he is worth his money they can walk away from the deal. I can imagine Boras having a fit if the Mets make that counter proposal but it is how his demands should be dealt with.

i'd imagine you forgot about his qualifying offer. there's no way a team without a protected pick is giving that contract and their pick.

If it was a mutual option and there was a team that had a protected pick then this would be a pretty great stipulation. It protects both the player and the team. If I thought we could trade Aybar and get minor league talent, or a starting pitcher that was as good as the 15th pick we would lose, then I would sign Drew.

i think teams have grown leery of dealing with boras and any clients named Drew. i know i would be if i were a gm.

stephen drew is a good player, not amazing, but asking for something like an opt out after one year of a multi-year contract is going to make him very hard to sign. it doesn't do anything to help his image, either.

Well, to be fair... If all a team had to sacrifice was a 2nd round pick this year the team could offer him a QO next offseason and recoup a better draft pick in the 2015 Rule IV draft.

i'd think not. i think with it being boras and it's an opt out that there would be some language regarding not offering a QO, particularly because without one it's self defeating.

Meh, rather wait and see what Jose Rondon and/or Eric Stamets can do. If Stamets can have league average offensive numbers at short, he'd be a terrific shortstop based off of his defense and speed alone, kind of like a Jose Iglesias. Rondon could be the third baseman of the future for us if he can continue to improve his eye at the plate and power. 

I may agree to the opt out after the first year if they would agree to a non guaranteed contract. Or maybe minimal buyouts of the contract after each season at a fraction of the next years salary. With notification of teams intention within ten days of the conclusion of the regular season. Something has to be done to get costs under control.