• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton gained 28 lbs in off season.

I don't even think pro bodybuilders can pack on that much muscle in 12 months. There must be some Hulk cocktail out there somewhere.

a guy I knew when inwas younger was an olympic power lifting alternate for 2004 (?) Or whenever thr olympics were at that time.

He put on 100 pounds in a year. To be fair, he was aided by the needle. But all the drugs in the world wont pack on weight like that.

Its like 70 percent diet.

You guys are basically insinuating that if Hamilton really wanted to, he could gain 75lbs of pure muscle every year. The comments in this thread are mind-boggling.

Who insinuated that? This leap then contents 600 pounds of muscle in eight years. Talk about mind-boggling.

The funny thing is, there are peer reviewed studies done by scientists proving what I'm saying. You haven't refuted any of my posts, so I'm done responding to you until you do so.

I have refuted. You have not proven anything. Why do you think that you have?

I'll save you time...I've read studies that state what you're saying terms of max muscle growth. And I've read studies that say otherwise. There is "proof" on both sides. You can show me peer reviewed studies that support BS like; eating every four hours to help lose weight, the body can only digest 35 grams of protein per meal, eat one gram of protein per X weight, multivitamins are useless, etc. 

In my early 20's, I too, became a  cert personal trainer. It was a joke.

Which is what I've been saying since the 2nd page, most of it is most likely muscle memory and fat (with Hamilton and his PR over-exaggerating a little as well). Most of the posts in here have been about general scenarios of a 31 year old male with good genetics gaining 28lbs of pure muscle in 4 months after training for 15 years. 

Who here is talking about general scenarios?

You're saying that it is not possible but you also say it is possible—for Hamilton.

Edited by CF8

I don't even think pro bodybuilders can pack on that much muscle in 12 months. There must be some Hulk cocktail out there somewhere.

There's a difference between someone who dropped the weight and another who has been continuously maintaining/building.

Edited by CF8

His book is actuall full of details, notes, measurements, doctor reviews, etc., more so than your article even had. It's an interesting read, though I've never tried to prove or disprove him. Not sure I believe it, but he makes a compelling argument.

You're welcome to read it yourself, though I suspect you'll dismiss that idea as easily as you scoff at the premise in the first place.

I'm familiar with Tim Ferriss.  He's a snake oil salesman.  I think this thread has run its course but I still feel compelled to reply because people like him are exactly what's wrong with the nutrition and supplement industry.  They make all these outlandish claims and spread completely bogus information, and people just eat it up because they're more willing to believe marketing hype than to put a little effort into research.  How often do you still hear "eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up"?   Or "don't eat after 8pm"?   Stuff like this is wrong, but once it finds its way into popular knowledge and keeps getting perpetuated by people who want to make money giving crap advice, it just won't die.  

People have such skewed ideas of what various weight/bodyfat %'s etc. look like as well.  I've heard multiple times on this forum that Hamilton looked "gaunt" coming into spring last year.  Yeah, he slimmed down, but he was still 6'4 225 lbs.  You know who else is almost that exact height/weight?

Terrell_owens_t.o._main.jpg

Lookin' pretty scrawny Terrell....  

And on that note, if you believe there is 34 lbs of muscle added in that before and after shot of Tim Ferriss, you have no idea what 34 lbs of muscle looks like.  Did he possibly gain 34 lbs of lean body mass in that time?  Maybe, but that's a completely different thing.  I could dry myself out, take a starting weight, then go hit the gym and pound water and creatine for a few hours after.  Boom, i just gained 8-10 lbs of LBM in a day.  Supplement companies love this kind of manipulation for their before and afters.  

While the specific article I posted lacks citations, it has the summary opinions of Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, and Martin Berkhan, 3 of the most well-respected voices in the bodybuilding industry.  These guys know their stuff, research the science, and regularly alter their recommendations whenever new findings come about.

I'm familiar with Tim Ferriss. He's a snake oil salesman. I think this thread has run its course but I still feel compelled to reply because people like him are exactly what's wrong with the nutrition and supplement industry. They make all these outlandish claims and spread completely bogus information, and people just eat it up because they're more willing to believe marketing hype than to put a little effort into research. How often do you still hear "eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism up"? Or "don't eat after 8pm"? Stuff like this is wrong, but once it finds its way into popular knowledge and keeps getting perpetuated by people who want to make money giving crap advice, it just won't die.

People have such skewed ideas of what various weight/bodyfat %'s etc. look like as well. I've heard multiple times on this forum that Hamilton looked "gaunt" coming into spring last year. Yeah, he slimmed down, but he was still 6'4 225 lbs. You know who else is almost that exact height/weight?

Terrell_owens_t.o._main.jpg

Lookin' pretty scrawny Terrell....

And on that note, if you believe there is 34 lbs of muscle added in that before and after shot of Tim Ferriss, you have no idea what 34 lbs of muscle looks like. Did he possibly gain 34 lbs of lean body mass in that time? Maybe, but that's a completely different thing. I could dry myself out, take a starting weight, then go hit the gym and pound water and creatine for a few hours after. Boom, i just gained 8-10 lbs of LBM in a day. Supplement companies love this kind of manipulation for their before and afters.

While the specific article I posted lacks citations, it has the summary opinions of Lyle McDonald, Alan Aragon, and Martin Berkhan, 3 of the most well-respected voices in the bodybuilding industry. These guys know their stuff, research the science, and regularly alter their recommendations whenever new findings come about.

Your vitriol without examples suggests to me you haven't actually read the book, studies and measurements. However, you're welcome to do what you will as it won't affect me. I don't care much about the industry, nor have a dog in the fight.

Out of curiosity, since you mention the bit of water weight/LBM, could Hamilton's weight loss last year from the juice diet been attributed in part to water weight?

lol

Instead of incessantly arguing back and forth in this thread (I know, what fun would the forum be, then) someone could have simply referenced something from a reliable source to refute the "doctors HATE him!" kind of BS found in the quoted blog.  

here:  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

Great source. 

Who insinuated that? This leap then contents 600 pounds of muscle in eight years. Talk about mind-boggling.

I have refuted. You have not proven anything. Why do you think that you have?

I'll save you time...I've read studies that state what you're saying terms of max muscle growth. And I've read studies that say otherwise. There is "proof" on both sides. You can show me peer reviewed studies that support BS like; eating every four hours to help lose weight, the body can only digest 35 grams of protein per meal, eat one gram of protein per X weight, multivitamins are useless, etc. 

In my early 20's, I too, became a  cert personal trainer. It was a joke.

Who here is talking about general scenarios?

You're saying that it is not possible but you also say it is possible—for Hamilton.

The fact that some people are saying 28lbs of muscle is possible in four months, after 15 years of lifting with noob gains long gone leaves me to believe that you guys believe he could have gained 50lbs of muscle in 8 months, 75lbs of muscle in a year, and so on. I know it's a hyperbolic belief, but this thread has left me to believe that there are some knuckleheads in here who are the type to click ads saying ''35LBS OF MUSCLE IN 4 WEEKS!'' like that link posted above by Ordos.

Please show me these ''studies'' that you read that say a man who's been lifting for 15 years can suddenly gain more muscle in 4 months at 31 years old than he gained in his first or second years of weight lifting. 

In regards to your ''eat multiple small meals a day to increase your metabolism'' and ''you can only consume x amount of protein per meal'' comments. Both are false and have been debunked many times. I don't know why you're assuming that I'm some kind of wack-job PT who sensationalizes everything, when I'm the dude here making conservative statements like a man/women can only grow so much muscle as the years go on. 

I never said gaining 25lbs of pure muscle was possible for Hamilton, did you not read my post? I said it may be possible for him considering a very high percentage of it ends up being fat, and the rest being from muscle memory. 

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Out of curiosity, since you mention the bit of water weight/LBM, could Hamilton's weight loss last year from the juice diet been attributed in part to water weight?

When you run a significant calorie deficit without a corresponding increase in protein intake you will definitely lose some muscle, especially a conditioned athlete.  I think he probably lost some fat like he intended, but also shed some muscle last season with that goofy fad diet.   Due to muscle memory he could have put on more muscle in this offseason than you would normally expect from someone with years of training behind them, just not the wild amount attributed in the article.  If that's the case then I think there's good reason to be optimistic about Hamilton getting back on track this season.  

Edited by markb

When you run a significant calorie deficit without a corresponding increase in protein intake you will definitely lose some muscle, especially a conditioned athlete.  I think he probably lost some fat like he intended, but also shed some muscle last season with that goofy fad diet.   Due to muscle memory he could have put on more muscle in this offseason than you would normally expect from someone with years of training behind them, just not the wild amount attributed in the article.  If that's the case then I think there's good reason to be optimistic about Hamilton getting back on track this season.  

This. He's going to MASH this year imo.

Its not so much about muscle memory. Its more that from whatvwas reported, he shed a bunch of weight last year for whatever reason. He became big on juicing (not thr tradional baseball way, but with vegetables and a juicer).

If he lost 20 last year, and im sure lost more over the course of the season, its not at all a stretch to put 20 pounds back on.even of that 20 pounds simply brought him back to his normal weight, its still a 20 pound 'gain'.

To whoever above is arguing its not possible, I again think you need to stop comparing it to what you and I would be able to do. He has the time and money to literally make his job working out. Its no different than when actors gain/lose for a movie. If youve got a full time chef, personal trainer and the time to get in 4 or more hours a day of excercise, you too would be able to make a huge transformation (either more muscle, weight loss, combo of both etc).

The fact that some people are saying 28lbs of muscle is possible in four months, after 15 years of lifting with noob gains long gone leaves me to believe that you guys believe he could have gained 50lbs of muscle in 8 months, 75lbs of muscle in a year, and so on. I know it's a hyperbolic belief, but this thread has left me to believe that there are some knuckleheads in here who are the type to click ads saying ''35LBS OF MUSCLE IN 4 WEEKS!'' like that link posted above by Ordos.

Please show me these ''studies'' that you read that say a man who's been lifting for 15 years can suddenly gain more muscle in 4 months at 31 years old than he gained in his first or second years of weight.

Despite your derogatory response towards me, Tim Ferriss is an NY Times bestselling author, and his book 4 Hour Body has multiple studies inside for your perusal.

For the record, though, I know people who employ those types of "this little secret'" ads, and they laugh all the way to the bank that people not only click, but buy from those ads.

When you run a significant calorie deficit without a corresponding increase in protein intake you will definitely lose some muscle, especially a conditioned athlete. I think he probably lost some fat like he intended, but also shed some muscle last season with that goofy fad diet. Due to muscle memory he could have put on more muscle in this offseason than you would normally expect from someone with years of training behind them, just not the wild amount attributed in the article. If that's the case then I think there's good reason to be optimistic about Hamilton getting back on track this season.

That would certainly be good to see.

Despite your derogatory response towards me, Tim Ferriss is an NY Times bestselling author, and his book 4 Hour Body has multiple studies inside for your perusal.

For the record, though, I know people who employ those types of "this little secret'" ads, and they laugh all the way to the bank that people not only click, but buy from those ads.

Yeah, I don't care about what ''credentials'' Tim Ferriss has. There are many other fitness models who sell books, supplements and personal diets who use steroids. As argued throughout this thread, 25lbs of pure muscle in 4 months after years of lifting is insane and not possible without noob gains/muscle memory and fat. 35lbs in 4 weeks, not even giving you or Ferriss another thought.

Yeah, I don't care about what ''credentials'' Tim Ferriss has. There are many other fitness models who sell books, supplements and personal diets who use steroids. As argued throughout this thread, 25lbs of pure muscle in 4 months after years of lifting is insane and not possible without noob gains/muscle memory and fat. 35lbs in 4 weeks, not even giving you or Ferriss another thought.

Good riddance

You shouldn't need expertise to know that 20, 28, 34 pounds in four weeks is impossible. Even with "newbie gains" and steroids, I'd be surprised if most people could put on 20 pounds of muscle in a year. Hamilton likely lost a bunch of fat and maybe a couple pounds of muscle from juice dieting and then gained it back by eating a normal athlete's diet and working out a little bit. It's as simple as that.

Im with those on here that think hamilton has a nice comeback year. Not holding my breath for his texas numbers, but .270 with 25-30, and above average obp isnt all that hard to imagine.

If he does that, pujols does the same, and trout is trout....the bullpen holds its own, and the blanton/hanson replacements arent blanton/hanson....I think we're in business.

Last year sucked, but we showed life at the end and werent too far off from having a decent (88 win) season. That still sucks with our payroll and expectations, but it would have been a lot easier to watch last year.