• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton gained 28 lbs in off season.

Thank you...   The way I see it, Hamilton ate and lifted his way back to his normal off-season weight..  The end.   When someone asks him how his offseason went, he goes into hyperbole mode, talks up how he's lifted hard for the first time and does his spin on the best shape of my life speech.  Joe Fan hears he's put on 28 pounds gets geeked out after last year's  thinner version sucked and talks up the weight gain..  Other fans go into nutritionist and Balco investigator mode and AW.com is en route to 10 page thread where the conversation shifts from Josh Hamilton is back to his normal off-season weight to "OMG I can't believe how naive you are".

So, in conclusion.  Hamilton went to the gym and ate burgers...  Pitcher's say they intend to pitch him low and outside.

Which is what I've been saying since the 2nd page, most of it is most likely muscle memory and fat (with Hamilton and his PR over-exaggerating a little as well). Most of the posts in here have been about general scenarios of a 31 year old male with good genetics gaining 28lbs of pure muscle in 4 months after training for 15 years. 

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Thank you...   The way I see it, Hamilton ate and lifted his way back to his normal off-season weight..  The end.   When someone asks him how his offseason went, he goes into hyperbole mode, talks up how he's lifted hard for the first time and does his spin on the best shape of my life speech.  Joe Fan hears he's put on 28 pounds gets geeked out after last year's  thinner version sucked and talks up the weight gain..  Other fans go into nutritionist and Balco investigator mode and AW.com is en route to 10 page thread where the conversation shifts from Josh Hamilton is back to his normal off-season weight to "OMG I can't believe how naive you are".

So, in conclusion.  Hamilton went to the gym and ate burgers...  Pitcher's say they intend to pitch him low and outside.

We wouldn't have it any other way :)

Which is what I've been saying since the 2nd page, most of it is most likely muscle memory and fat (with Hamilton and his PR over-exaggerating a little as well). Most of the posts in here have been about general scenarios of a 31 year old male with good genetics gaining 28lbs of pure muscle in 4 months after training for 15 years. 

Yep, a few people have...

I meant no offense to you or anyone involved in this tinklefest, I've been there and done that.  I saw the thread earlier today and thought -- that's going to be a fun read by tonight.

Also -- FWIW, I'm on board with your muscle memory commentary..  

Edited by Inside Pitch

My cousin went to a talk he gave at a church in Anaheim last Sunday. He said that Hamilton said he had gained 15 pounds.

Regardless, whether 15 or 28, it is probably impossible to gain that much muscle in 4 months.

to a point, yes.

However, these guys have money. Its a drop in the bucket for them to eat a steak and 6 eggs three times a day.

You do that, with two protein shakes a day ( and lifting), its not too far fetched.

Ive also heard somewhere that hamilton doesnt lift weights (not sure how true it is or isnt). But if he didnt (in the past) and started (and did it seriously), I could see 15 pounds easy.

Again, I cant stress this enough. The reason us average joes cant do things like that (or why its rare) is because of time and money. The vast majority of people on this board, if money wasnt an object....meaning you can afford someone to run your errands, pick up your kids from school, didnt have to work for a few months, and could afford $500.00 a week in food (high protein)....and had every day for four months to workout for 3-4 hours (which isnt hard to do), gaininf a pound a week would be not at all hard to do.

The hardest part if youre really trying to get big is diet and sleep. Id imagine 125 million makes that a non issue, as in not much gets in the way of it.

to a point, yes.

However, these guys have money. Its a drop in the bucket for them to eat a steak and 6 eggs three times a day.

You do that, with two protein shakes a day ( and lifting), its not too far fetched.

I don't even think pro bodybuilders can pack on that much muscle in 12 months. There must be some Hulk cocktail out there somewhere.

I would like to add one simple thing here. I call it physics.

Gaining weight actually helps you hit the ball farther. Fat or muscle, it doesn't matter. It's physics.

Josh has said that he always loses weight as the season progresses, mostly due to the heat in Tejas, but thought he wouldn't need the extra fat in Anaheim.

And it was likely a big mistake.

Looking forward to a huge bounce-back year from Hambone this year.

lol

Instead of incessantly arguing back and forth in this thread (I know, what fun would the forum be, then) someone could have simply referenced something from a reliable source to refute the "doctors HATE him!" kind of BS found in the quoted blog.  

here:  http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

I'm patiently waiting for the New Year's Resolutioners to go away from my gym.  

Hah, that is always a blessed day when those guys all quit around this time every year. I work in a building that has a full service gym (no, I don't have a membership) on the first floor and the parking garage is a madhouse from the first week of January to about mid to late March. This year they seem to be a lazier crop because it is already pretty easy to get a spot without dealing with the parking attendants every day.

lol

Instead of incessantly arguing back and forth in this thread (I know, what fun would the forum be, then) someone could have simply referenced something from a reliable source to refute the "doctors HATE him!" kind of BS found in the quoted blog.

here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

His book is actuall full of details, notes, measurements, doctor reviews, etc., more so than your article even had. It's an interesting read, though I've never tried to prove or disprove him. Not sure I believe it, but he makes a compelling argument.

You're welcome to read it yourself, though I suspect you'll dismiss that idea as easily as you scoff at the premise in the first place.

At the age of 41, Bernard Hopkins gained 15 pounds of muscle in 8 weeks.  He also went from 12% body fat down to 8% body fat in that time.  He did this to jump from middleweight to light heavyweight to fight Antonio Tarver.

If he can do that in 8 weeks, then it means 20 pounds in 16 weeks is possible.