• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hamilton gained 28 lbs in off season.

How do you know Hubs isn't an above average guy?

By above average, you mean using PEDS right? I already told you, even if you're some kind of insanely gifted specimen, 25lbs of pure muscle in 4 months is nearly impossible without help.

First, it is obvious from this thread if anyone is on PEDs it is Halos of Anaheim who is posting like he is on roid rage (or he is just acting like an ahole).  Second, Hamilton has stated he has never lifted weights like he is now, so there goes that theory.  Finally, boxers like Bernard Hopkins have jumped 15 pounds in weight (all muscle) in that amount of time and he did that at an older age than Hamilton is.

He proves it is possible.

Sorry, ignorance is one of my huge pet peeves. Stop posting about something you have no understanding of. 

By the way, that Hamilton and Hopkins post shows why you're illogical. 

I'm on TRT (What you're mentioning) for naturally low test. The replacement therapy boosts my test from poor to optimal levels. If a player is taking testosterone legally from a doctor, his test will most likely be above average, but not enough to gain 25lbs of muscle AT 31 YEARS OLD. Yes some people gain more than others, but that usually has more to do with age and diet.

Hamilton has been lifting since he was in High School. His noob gains are long gone, there's no way a man who is 31 can gain 25+ lbs of natural muscle in 4 months. You guys are basically insinuating that if Hamilton really wanted to, he could gain 75lbs of pure muscle every year. The comments in this thread are mind-boggling.

You are being dogmatic and are entrenched in groupthink. I'm not saying that you don't know anything about training and nutrition however there are  lot of gaps in your experience and knowledge...I was there before as well so this is in no way a personal attack on you. In addition, you are being hyperbolic. I've said my two cents about differences in people which you want to dismiss because it conflicts with your engrained beliefs and limited exposure. I don't have the energy or desire to bring you around because it'll likely be futile given the ridiculous quote above.

Edited by CF8

hilarious thread.

elite athletes have a hard time putting on 2 lbs of "pure" muscle a month, and it usually requires significant fat gain which is excruciating to cut while not losing a bunch of the muscle along with it.

these are facts, and it's fine that people choose to remain ignorant about it. it's why there's a billion dollar health/fad industry.  

i'm betting hamilton never said or implied that his gains were all muscle, which makes this even funnier.  

Being an elite athlete has nothing to do with being able to quickly gain muscle. For example, Michael Phelps is probably not someone who can gain muscle quickly. However if Lebron James drops 30 pounds of muscle, he could likely gain it back very quickly. 

You are being dogmatic and are entrenched in groupthink. I'm not saying that you don't know anything about training and nutrition however there are  lot of gaps in your experience and knowledge...I was there before as well so this is not way a personal attack on you. In addition, you are being hyperbolic. I've said my two cents about differences in people which you want to dismiss because it conflicts with your engrained beliefs and limited exposure. I don't have the energy or desire to bring you around because it'll likely be futile given the ridiculous quote above.

All I see in this post is a guy who has no rebuttal. Gaps in my experience and knowledge? You don't even know anything about me. Your post talking about differences in people gaining were already acknowledged by me. Age + Diet + Genetics being the main reasons. I have stated FACTS though, about why somebody at his age who has been lifting since he was a teenager can not gain that much MUSCLE in that much time and all you've done is spout off some random response about nothing.  

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

He looked gaunt a year ago in ST.  He looks fine now.  But nowhere near 28 pound gain.

He's 6'3-6'4? From personal experience, it's easier to miss than on someone 5'10, especially when wearing a button down. I'm not saying that he gained 28lbs but it's possible for it not to be obvious.

All I see in this post is a guy who has no rebuttal. Gaps in my experience and knowledge? You don't even know anything about me. Your post talking about differences in people gaining were already acknowledged by me. Age + Diet + Genetics being the main reasons. I have stated FACTS though, about why somebody at his age who has been lifting since he was a teenager can not gain that much MUSCLE in that much time and all you've done is spout off some random response about nothing.  

Take a look in the mirror. LOL at "facts". 

Take a look in the mirror. LOL at "facts". 

Yes, are you allergic to the term? It is well known that you gain the most muscle that you'll ever get in your first and second years of training. After that, the amount of muscle you can add diminishes. At 31 years old, and assuming that Hamilton has been lifting since he was a teenager (not a broad assumption considering he was at a respectable weight when drafted, and has been at a very good weight since he returned to the MLB) he has been lifting for over 15 years.

Maybe not religiously, and maybe without PEDs, but he has been lifting nonetheless. Either way, even with the greatest diet and genetics, a man who has been a pro athlete with very good home run power for the entirety of his career does not just add the most muscle he's ever gained in his life in a 4 month offseason span. It just doesn't happen.

The funny thing is, Hamilton probably isn't even saying he gained 25lbs, or saying that all of it was muscle. Most likely, he gained 15-20, half of it being muscle/other half being fat..and the muscle gained was from muscle memory that he had before he went on his juice diet and lost all the weight he did last season.

This thread has been hilarious though, that's for sure. As Cezaro said, guys like you, Jim B and Hubs are the reasons why there is a multi billion dollar fitness industry with fads and tricks that never work (or that are much more overpriced than a 30 dollar gym membership and some great whole foods). Keep up the good work.

No, he spends most his time on Spot Me Bro.

I was wondering, do have any formal training (not in the weight room) or education that makes you an expert in this?

I posted on one of the earlier pages that I was a personal trainer. And yes I have read many peer reviewed articles on natural muscle mass and what you can realistically expect with OPTIMAL testosterone levels. I'm assuming Hamilton is at optimal or higher because of how powerful he is, and even then gaining that much muscle after 15 years of training is unheard of in a year, let alone 4 months (except of course by Muscle Mag dudes who are roided out and trying to sell supplements to old average men with false hopes created by these guys with unreal expectations).

Nah.  I'm just a fitness enthusiast.  I was pretty hard core with training when I was in the Marines back in 97-01, and learned a lot by both by training pretty hard (not much else to do during down time), and taking the time to read actual double-blind/placebo-controlled studies.  It's rare to find areas of the field that don't change, but our understanding of the human predilection to add muscle has been pretty much the same for decades.  

It's why all you can do is laugh at the mythology/ignorance in this thread, and tip your cap (lol) to the ridiculous industry that has propagated it.  

Agreed. I could probably make much more money doing my job if I incorporated these false hopes and supplementation into my clients. I love the lifestyle and respect it way too much to do so though. I always tell my clients that they'll see their greatest gains ever (naturally) within their first 6-8 months of training/dieting correctly. This helps keep the new year resolution people at bay for awhile, and it's the most I can promise them with all of my information and advice. Most of the time they run away to some other guy/girl feeding them with some new age hopes of lies, but that just makes me appreciate the clients that do stick round even more.

I posted on one of the earlier pages that I was a personal trainer. And yes I have read many peer reviewed articles on natural muscle mass and what you can realistically expect with OPTIMAL testosterone levels. I'm assuming Hamilton is at optimal or higher because of how powerful he is, and even then gaining that much muscle after 15 years of training is unheard of in a year, let alone 4 months (except of course by Muscle Mag dudes who are roided out and trying to sell supplements to old average men with false hopes created by these guys with unreal expectations).

So no formal training or college education in a related field. Not that personal experience isn't valid, I know a few guys that are automotive experts in various fields that never once attended a shop class or had any certification. They just picked it up as they went and were single minded focused on what they had an interest in and it paid off in being the go to guys when if you have a restoration project that requires a just off the factory floor perfection.

I just don't see that in your posts. Most of your arguments are generalizations and broad statements without some concrete facts associated with them. Just saying you are a body builder and trainer is not really coming through that you have this thread locked down for what Hamilton could or could not achieve in 4 months, especially since you have no involvement with him or any knowledge of how he went about his off season routine.

28 lbs of muscle does seem unrealistic but I can only speculate that between coming in last season looking more like a slappy infielder and then the rigors of an entire season where players generally lose 6-12 lbs, he did not have any fat reserves to lose so he probably was down a few in meaningful muscle weight.

He does have $25 million to spend on nutritionists and trainers to get to his goal and even if he only achieved half of that in muscle I would say that is more than reasonable considering his resources and the starting point. I can see where he might get back much of that muscle mass he left in Texas two years ago.

The rest is probably just PR.

So no formal training or college education in a related field. Not that personal experience isn't valid, I know a few guys that are automotive experts in various fields that never once attended a shop class or had any certification. They just picked it up as they went and were single minded focused on what they had an interest in and it paid off in being the go to guys when if you have a restoration project that requires a just off the factory floor perfection.

I just don't see that in your posts. Most of your arguments are generalizations and broad statements without some concrete facts associated with them. Just saying you are a body builder and trainer is not really coming through that you have this thread locked down for what Hamilton could or could not achieve in 4 months, especially since you have no involvement with him or any knowledge of how he went about his off season routine.

28 lbs of muscle does seem unrealistic but I can only speculate that between coming in last season looking more like a slappy infielder and then the rigors of an entire season where players generally lose 6-12 lbs, he did not have any fat reserves to lose so he probably was down a few in meaningful muscle weight.

He does have $25 million to spend on nutritionists and trainers to get to his goal and even if he only achieved half of that in muscle I would say that is more than reasonable considering his resources and the starting point. I can see where he might get back much of that muscle mass he left in Texas two years ago.

The rest is probably just PR.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I already stated that muscle memory (probably playing the biggest factor here), weight by body fat and some insane genetics could all factor into an insane amount of weight gained (this is all just speculation though, Hamilton hasn't even confirmed any of this). The entire premise of my posts in this thread were just debating in general about a guy gaining 25lbs of pure muscle in four months after 15 years of lifting naturally being relatively unheard of.

In regards to the ''concrete facts'' point of your post, it is a concrete fact that the amount of muscle that you're able to gain diminishes after every year of lifting (this is of course with fair variables, having the diet/weight lifting routine and dedication being the same throughout the years). In your first year, you gain the highest percentage of muscle that you'll ever gain in your lifting ''career'' lets say. The amount of muscle % gained every year from then on decreases, again assuming all variables are the same, you would not be able to gain more muscle at 31 than you did at 21, especially in ONLY four months. This is again assuming that all of the weight is muscle, that you didn't stop lifting/eating properly (so the weight gained would not be from muscle memory) and that you weren't on PEDS.

I'm not spewing out some new age crap right now, it's stuff that has been known in the bodybuilding community and has been proven by science for decades.

Yes, are you allergic to the term? It is well known that you gain the most muscle that you'll ever get in your first and second years of training. After that, the amount of muscle you can add diminishes. At 31 years old, and assuming that Hamilton has been lifting since he was a teenager (not a broad assumption considering he was at a respectable weight when drafted, and has been at a very good weight since he returned to the MLB) he has been lifting for over 15 years.

Maybe not religiously, and maybe without PEDs, but he has been lifting nonetheless. Either way, even with the greatest diet and genetics, a man who has been a pro athlete with very good home run power for the entirety of his career does not just add the most muscle he's ever gained in his life in a 4 month offseason span. It just doesn't happen.

The funny thing is, Hamilton probably isn't even saying he gained 25lbs, or saying that all of it was muscle. Most likely, he gained 15-20, half of it being muscle/other half being fat..and the muscle gained was from muscle memory that he had before he went on his juice diet and lost all the weight he did last season.

This thread has been hilarious though, that's for sure. As Cezaro said, guys like you, Jim B and Hubs are the reasons why there is a multi billion dollar fitness industry with fads and tricks that never work (or that are much more overpriced than a 30 dollar gym membership and some great whole foods). Keep up the good work.

Allergic to facts? Where'd you get your medical license? Oh wait you're a 'personal trainer', lol! 

Ah, to be young, naive and self-righteous. LOL at the contradictions and continued hyperbole.

Allergic to facts? Where'd you get your medical license? Oh wait you're a 'personal trainer', lol! 

Ah, to be young, naive and self-righteous. LOL at the contradictions and continued hyperbole.

The funny thing is, there are peer reviewed studies done by scientists proving what I'm saying. You haven't refuted any of my posts, so I'm done responding to you until you do so.

It certainly looked like Hamilton entered the season with much less muscle mass than the previous season in Texas.

Thank you...   The way I see it, Hamilton ate and lifted his way back to his normal off-season weight..  The end.   When someone asks him how his offseason went, he goes into hyperbole mode, talks up how he's lifted hard for the first time and does his spin on the best shape of my life speech.  Joe Fan hears he's put on 28 pounds gets geeked out after last year's  thinner version sucked and talks up the weight gain..  Other fans go into nutritionist and Balco investigator mode and AW.com is en route to 10 page thread where the conversation shifts from Josh Hamilton is back to his normal off-season weight to "OMG I can't believe how naive you are".

So, in conclusion.  Hamilton went to the gym and ate burgers...  Pitcher's say they intend to pitch him low and outside.