• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freeman close to extension

One good season? He had one GREAT season preceded by two good seasons-his first two in the majors, with 1.7 & 2.3 WAR, respectively.

In three full years, he has produced 9.4 WAR. Don't let the otherworldliness of Trout redefine what is considered "good" or "great"

I didn't know 125 million only gets you a guy who's averaged 3.1 WAR a year over the last 3 years. Hell fangraphs has him at 6.6 WAR over the last 3 years.

At least he's young and will only be making around 15 million a year.

Edited by Poozy

Yes, but they are in totally different positions than Trout, they are free agents. If Trout was to sign a contract like that it would be buying out four years of club control, where he wouldn't get nearly that amount of money for any of the seasons. Someone else on here has done a break down of what his Arb years are likely to look like, and I want to say it was about $40 million for those four years.

Yes, but they are in totally different positions than Trout, they are free agents. If Trout was to sign a contract like that it would be buying out four years of club control, where he wouldn't get nearly that amount of money for any of the seasons. Someone else on here has done a break down of what his Arb years are likely to look like, and I want to say it was about $40 million for those four years.

This has been what has worked so well for teams locking up their young stars early...the teams give something in that the players make significantly more than they would thru the club control/arb years, and the players give something in that they lose some of their free agent eligibility years. It allows the team to get a discount during the player's "prime" years, but it gives the player financial security at an early age.

I think if the Angels offer 10 years at somewhere around $200 million now, Trout would be foolish to not take it. He would have a cushion against something happening that shortens his career (it can happen), but if he's still a productive player at age 32, he gets another (possibly record-setting) payday.

Why would you ever use a pure free agent contract as a comp?

Of course he's worth 40mil per year, but part of the deal of being a club controlled player is that he doesn't get what he's worth. 

The halos have trout at 4/60ish right now.  A lot can happen in 4 years, so if a team is going to buy out some free agent years and take some risk away from the player, they should get a discount. 

Let's say you want to keep him for 2014-2022 or buy out 5 years of free agency.  If you got him at 4/60 and you give him 230 total, then you are giving him an aav of 34mil for those free agent years.  That's a pretty solid deal. 

Okay lets say Trout does just as well as he did last year and signs an extension.

Freeman got 135 million for basically one good season and two average ones.

Mike Trout combined 3 year WAR of 30

Freddie Freeman combined 3 WAR of 7.3

Mike Trout Age 23

Freddie Freeman Age 24

If Trout were to wait till he's a free agent, he would get 300+ million.

I'm not saying he would get that if he were to sign an extension, but I think he'd gladly wait it out if they offered him anything close to what freeman got.

I'm curious to see what you guys think Freeman would get if he were a free agent. I have a hard time believing he would've got much more than his extension.

Edited by Poozy

Okay lets say Trout does just as well as he did last year and signs an extension.

Freeman got 135 million for basically one good season and two average ones.

Mike Trout combined 3 year WAR of 30

Freddie Freeman combined 3 WAR of 7.3

Mike Trout Age 23

Freddie Freeman Age 24

If Trout were to wait till he's a free agent, he would get 300+ million.

I'm not saying he would get that if he were to sign an extension, but I think he'd gladly wait it out if they offered him anything close to what freeman got.

I'm curious to see what you guys think Freeman would get if he were a free agent. I have a hard time believing he would've got much more than his extension.

If Freeman were a free agent this offseason, at his age of 24 (so still not in his prime yet) and with his tools: good defense, good OBP, good power (remember, 30+ HR guys are rare now, so his 20+ HR power plays up), I would imagine he'd get somewhere in the neighborhood of 6/$125 to 10/$250.

No, I'm not kidding. Someone would pay to get Freeman at his peak.

But you can't base an extension on what someone would get on the open market, for the very reasons stated above.

Trout would easily get $300 million on the open market. That doesn't mean he'll get that from the Angels in an extension, nor should he.