• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Freeman close to extension

Probably good for the Angels too.  While of course Trout is in another league than Freeman, Freeman is a great young player.  If Freeman is worth 8/125, and Posey 9/167, I have to believe a fair deal for Trout would be somewhere in the range of 8-10 years and 160-230 mil.   

Surprised the Braves are going to take a chance like that.  8/$125 for a guy that had a breakout season.  You look at his minor league numbers, and he never hit over .900 when he had a lot of playing time.  This was his first year in arbitration, $5.75 vs $4.5 million.  

And especially for a team like the Braves.  They don't have the money flexibility like other teams.  Committing this much, especially since it's going to be backloaded.  IMO, I would have waited to see if 2013 was a fluke or not first before committing so much.

Surprised the Braves are going to take a chance like that.  8/$125 for a guy that had a breakout season.  You look at his minor league numbers, and he never hit over .900 when he had a lot of playing time.  This was his first year in arbitration, $5.75 vs $4.5 million.  

And especially for a team like the Braves.  They don't have the money flexibility like other teams.  Committing this much, especially since it's going to be backloaded.  IMO, I would have waited to see if 2013 was a fluke or not first before committing so much.

The Braves shot themselves in the foot by agreeing to their TV deal before many of the other deals were struck, so they're not getting much from theirs.

They have a lot of young talent that are/will soon be arbitration eligible, so they have to choose which ones they want to keep. This shows they have faith that Freeman will provide enough value to make this deal work.

nice move for them.  his minor league ops was lower because of lesser slg% but he has found 20-25hr power that should continue.  Agree he's unlikely to hit .320 on a regular basis, but he seems like the type of hitter whose bb rates will continue to go up.  The braves also don't seem to have anyone nearly ready at 1b or anyone in the system at all for that matter.  

Can't remember who on Twitter said it but over the last three seasons Freeman has the third highest Line Drive rate. It has been statistically proven that higher line drive rates lead to generally higher BABIP's and increased production (vs. grounders and flyballs which both are not nearly as good for a player's BABIP).

Notably on that list I saw Howie Kendrick at #10 (the line drive list). Votto and James Loney were #1 and #2 respectively.... now that I keep talking about it I went and recreated it: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=1500&type=2&season=2013&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=5,d

Probably good for the Angels too.  While of course Trout is in another league than Freeman, Freeman is a great young player.  If Freeman is worth 8/125, and Posey 9/167, I have to believe a fair deal for Trout would be somewhere in the range of 8-10 years and 160-230 mil.   

You're ****ing kidding youself if you think trout is only going to get 160-230

Freeman definitely got too much. He's had one good season.

At the same time, he'll only be making around 15 million a year, which isn't bad.

Edited by Poozy

At the same time, he'll only be making around 15 million a year, which isn't bad.

One good season? He had one GREAT season preceded by two good seasons-his first two in the majors, with 1.7 & 2.3 WAR, respectively.

In three full years, he has produced 9.4 WAR. Don't let the otherworldliness of Trout redefine what is considered "good" or "great".

Poozy, if the Angels offered him 8 or 9 years and $230 million he would accept that deal. That would be almost $29 million a season while buying out his arb years. No agent would let him pass up the security of that deal. He would also still be young enough to get another $200 million deal at age 31.

Poozy, if the Angels offered him 8 or 9 years and $230 million he would accept that deal. That would be almost $29 million a season while buying out his arb years. No agent would let him pass up the security of that deal. He would also still be young enough to get another $200 million deal at age 31.

230 million is probably the lowest he'd be willing to accept.

Remember, Ellsbury just signed for 153 million and Cano signed for 240.

Edited by Poozy

Now that I've had time to think about it, this deal isn't so bad. It may be a slight overpay but Freeman is super young still and has developed some unexpectedly good power.

I'll be curious to see how they can possibly extend their other players. My guess is they'll have to trade Kimbrel or Upton at some point to get some sort of return instead of just letting them walk.

Now that I've had time to think about it, this deal isn't so bad. It may be a slight overpay but Freeman is super young still and has developed some unexpectedly good power.

I'll be curious to see how they can possibly extend their other players. My guess is they'll have to trade Kimbrel or Upton at some point to get some sort of return instead of just letting them walk.

Don't forget about Heyward, who's likely to get a 100+ million.