• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

College Baseball 2014!

• 2 weeks later...

That's out of respect for last season..  But, it's early still and they've played pretty good Cal Poly and UCSB teams.

The 'Bags are clawing-out of their early-season hole.  They beat #16 Indiana 2-1 last weekend.  Then, the same old story showed-up last Tues. at LMU and they got beat.

The recent versions of this team have seriously lacked consistency.  They'll be tested this weekend at Fullerton for a non-Conference series.

LB has quietly gone 10-5 since the 0-4 start.   I will finally make it out to see them play on Sunday at CSF.

CSF's park is more hitting friendly than Blair Field (most of LB's games being there so far), and thus LB fans will get a true feel for how far the pitching has come in 2014. 

• 4 weeks later...

At least they have that...

Nothing has changed for the Bags; straight-up inconsistent.  They win a series with UCLA, then bellyflop at Davis.  Doesn't get any easier this weekend with UCSB coming into town; it's time to decide what kind of club they're gonna be this season.

The West-coast, for the most part, is not really playing up to par.  We're in danger of losing lots of Regionals...

CS Fullerton Coach Rick Vanderhook was placed on Administrative leave this week, after a post-game incident with his team.

It's all rumor at this point, but I've heard from some decent sources that the incident involved Coach Vanderhook punishing his team after an 8-0 loss to Cal Poly last Thursday.

Supposedly, he sent his team up into the stands to do the custodial work.  They were directed to clean the stands, down to the last sunflower seed shell.  Not only is this not a great coaching idea, it's downright nasty since the players allegedly did not have gloves.

If true, I think it's not a very smart coaching technique.  I know he's a fiery character, but he should read-up on his "Herb Brooks" a little more.  Additional running, running the stairs, or other baseball-related punishments have a lot more value as far as bringing a team together.  This idea creates too much animosity towards him as the coach.

Another issue with the incident, is that CSF is the figure-head of the Big West.  It degrades the entire Conference.

CS Fullerton Coach Rick Vanderhook was placed on Administrative leave this week, after a post-game incident with his team.

It's all rumor at this point, but I've heard from some decent sources that the incident involved Coach Vanderhook punishing his team after an 8-0 loss to Cal Poly last Thursday.

Supposedly, he sent his team up into the stands to do the custodial work.  They were directed to clean the stands, down to the last sunflower seed shell.  Not only is this not a great coaching idea, it's downright nasty since the players allegedly did not have gloves.

If true, I think it's not a very smart coaching technique.  I know he's a fiery character, but he should read-up on his "Herb Brooks" a little more.  Additional running, running the stairs, or other baseball-related punishments have a lot more value as far as bringing a team together.  This idea creates too much animosity towards him as the coach.

Another issue with the incident, is that CSF is the figure-head of the Big West.  It degrades the entire Conference.

Really? Seems like good old school coaching to me. 

It's actually a fine-line, Adam..  Punishing them by making them clean the stadium or wash cars, is purely punitive.  If they were afforded the proper protective equipment that the regular employees use, I might be able to see some value in it; They learn humility, and a responsibility for their "house."  The problem I have with it, is that it was 2AM and they were picking-up DNA-infested spit-cups, hot dogs, etc. with bare hands.

I still believe in the Herb Brooks school of team-building-  Keep it sport-related, and nobody can really complain.

Three straight shutouts for LB State after last night's 1-0 win over CSF.

The shutouts have come vs. Cal Poly, Pepperdine, and CSF, none of which is chopped liver.

Andrew Rohrbach and Josh Frye have been dominating starting pitchers, while Kyle Friedrechs has been almost automatic as the closer.

3rd place in the BWC, and if they can take this series and the UCI series (both at LB) and win 5 out of 6 road games from Hawaii and UCR, maybe just maybe a 2014 NCAA subregional could be in their future?

Edited by Angel Oracle

LBstate better pray they don't draw el camino in the regionals.

OR Long Beach Wilson!  Haaah!

The boys (along with LOTS of family!) are in Hawaii; took game1 3-1 with a couple of bases-loaded rbi walks..  Game2 tonight at 9:30 Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...

Regionals will be set tomoro morning...

Cal Poly won the Big West, and should be hosting.

The Bags overtook UCI to finish 2nd (lowering their RPI/strength of schedule).  They should be no worse than a 3-seed in regionals; hopefully they don't have to go to Oregon).

Here's where the debating starts-  UCI finished the season on an 0-8 free-fall, while CSF finished fairly strong.  UCSB has slim hopes of selection.

I think UCI gets in based on their overall season.  If Fullerton gets in, it will be based on name recognition as they had a disappointing season.

Nope..  USC was one of the "Last four teams out" of the tourney (along with West Virginia, Mercer, and UCF).  The "Last four in" were UCI, Clemson, North Carolina, and Texas A&M). 

I'm hearing a lot of chatter over UCSB not getting into the tourney, or even listed as a "last four out."  They have better numbers (RPI, math, etc.) than most of these teams.

The Big West amazingly got FOUR teams in!  

Long Beach is the #2 seed at Florida, and will also get NC and College of Charleston.

Cal Poly is hosting Sac. St., Pepperdine, and ASU.

UCI is the #3 seed at Oregon St. with North Dakota and UNLV.

Fullerton is the #3 seed at Okla. St. with Binghampton and Nebraska.

Games start this Friday, May 30th.